Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
Terms & Conditions
In Appreciation Donor Pages
Help or Suggestions
Welcome to the world's largest online community dedicated to family
history. This is your chance to share ideas. Ask questions. Offer advice.
Forge meaningful connections. Make groundbreaking discoveries. Overall,
it's an opportunity to collaborate and share with your family and other
community members interested in family history.
The more active you are in our community, the more you'll get out of
it. Keep in mind, we're continually making it easier to use and more
enjoyable for you.
These guidelines will help you and others enjoy your community
experience. However, please remember that all use of the sites is governed
by the Acceptable Use Policy relating to
them, which take precedence over these guidelines.
Community ValuesHere are
the core beliefs behind our community:
Our community comprises the
Ancestry.com, RootsWeb.com and Genealogy.com communities, all of which
encourage open and frequent communication between members.
- People have a deep desire to connect with family members, both past
- Everyone has something to contribute to the community.
- Honest, open communication is essential, but it must be delivered
with respect for other members' thoughts and expressions.
Member Conduct and UseAs a community member, please:
This community is your forum
for sharing thoughts, experiences, resources and discoveries. We
appreciate your participation. However, we ask that you carefully read and
follow the guidelines below. You'll find that most of them come naturally
On the other hand, please:
- For starters, simply treat others the way you want to be treated.
- Respond to the subject (and not the person) if you disagree with
something in a post.
- Share only your own thoughts, ideas and content.
- Post only information appropriate for a given topic. For example, if
you're posting on the "Lansing" surname board, you should be writing
only in reference to a "Lansing" connection. If you're posting on the
US, regional or international board, you must be making reference to the
- Don't harass, abuse or threaten other members.
- Don't post any content that's vulgar, hateful, sexually explicit,
illegal or otherwise offensive.
- Don't post commercial messages, fee-for-service postings,
advertising or related links, etc.
- Don't include identifiable information about living people without
their direct consent, or, in the case of minors, the consent of their
parent or guardian. This includes (but is not limited to) a person's
full name, location or contact information.
- Don't post anything you didn't personally create. That includes
copyrighted material you're not authorized to distribute, email
messages, notes in GEDCOMs, etc. Read our
copyright policy if you have questions.
- Don't impersonate any individual, business or other entity. Don't
pretend to be an employee or representative of Ancestry.com or
anyone affiliated with the Ancestry.com Operations Inc. family of
companies, properties or affiliates.
- Don't post a "seeking information" (query) message with a non-query
(data) menu classification selection.
We reserve the right to delete messages that violate our Acceptable Use Policy, move messages posted
in the wrong place and edit the surname field, subject line, etc. in any
message. We reserve the right to do any of the above without notice in
order to preserve community integrity and ensure that people can find what
We do not pre-screen or
monitor member-contributed content. Please let us know if you encounter
material that you feel is inappropriate under these guidelines or violates
our Acceptable Use Policy. Use the RootsWeb HelpDesk to
We can't be responsible for the content our members create and share in
the community. However, we do reserve the right to remove any postings
that disregard the above guidelines or violate our Acceptable Use Policy. Serious violations or
offenses will subject the responsible member to account termination.
Important Note: Any information you post in our
community is public and can be copied, modified and distributed by others.
By submitting or posting content in our community, you expressly grant
Ancestry.com Operations Inc. the rights set forth in the Acceptable Use Policy.
We may modify these guidelines from time to time. Please check back
regularly for updates.