Kaufman Co., Texas School Photos

Donated by: Kathey Hunt, Co-Coordinator of Kaufman Co., Texas TXGenWeb Project

 

This is a Photograph of the building that was used as the first African-American school in Kaufman County

Photo Circa 1900

In 1866 the members of the Kemp area families began building a Presbyterian Church building that was also to be used as a school. The 20 X 40 ft log structure was finished in 1867 with Rev. Ed Hudson as pastor and teacher and was known as The Academy of Learning. It served it's purpose for sixteen years when in 1883 a new school was built. Beginning in 1885 the building was used as a school for African-American children. The structure was located just to the southwest of the town of Kemp , situated on what is now the western portion of the Kemp Cemetery.

 

Terrell Colored School Kindergarten Class, 1922

Class of Mrs. C L Westley - Teacher

Submitted by Drew Williams
Donated by: Kathey Hunt

***No documents on this page may be copied or used on any other website without the expressed permission of Kathey Hunt of Kaufman Co., Texas TXGenWeb Project.