Ralph K. Parks Family
returning to Nebraska following a failed attempt at homesteading,
Mr. Ralph Parks returned to Alberta in 1912 and purchased a quarter
of land near the Chain Lakes.
This land was rented to various farmers until 1928, when Mr. Ralph
Parks, his wife and five of their nine children came back to Alberta
to make their home permanently. Mr. Parks established a home in the
Concord district and remained there until his death on April 11, 1946.
His wife remained on the farm for 6 further years, until her passing
in June, 1952.
|The Children ...
were 9 children in this family but only 5 are mentioned in the articles.
The articles also mention that in 1968 (when the book was written),
only 3 of the children still resided in the Ponoka area.
- moved with her parents to the Concord district when they first came
with Mrs. Catherine Parks in 1902. She returned to Nebraska (note:
there is no mention as to whether or not Maude was one of the 5 children
who returned in 1928.)
- married Bernard (Bud) Perry, son of Art and Beatrice CAPLING Perry,
and the grandson of settler, Ernest Perry who came to the county in
1902 from Hollen, Ontario. They settled in the Rutherford District
and had 4 children: Herb of Eastside who married Anne Starrup of Rimbey;
Evoyne who worked as a telephone operator in Edmonton; Ralph who married
Marlene Wetherill and lived in Ponoka; and Ken who went to university
to study Library Science.
- married Ross FRASER on August 22, 1937, and moved to a the Charles
Scott farm before moving into Ponoka in 1959. They had 4 children:
Dale who married Gladys SWITZER, moved to Edmonton, and had 2 children;
Roger who worked in Tripoli, Lybia (1968); Doreen who married Constable
William Hanna of Edmonton and moved to St. Albert with their 2 children;
Carolyn who married Dennis POHL of Ponoka and moved to Wasa, British
Columbia with their daughter.
- married Bruce MacMillan. They farmed S.W. 1/4 of 8-42-24-W4 (formerly
owned by Lucille's father), until moving to Ponoka in 1966. They had
one son, Bruce, Jr. who married Sharon STEVENS and moved to Smithers,
British Columbia with their 2 children.
L. - married Leora and lived on NW 34-41-24-W4 for a nubmer of
years before purchasing NW 4-42-24-W4 (fomerly owned by David's father),
where they built a set of farm buildings in 1945. They eventually
sold the farm to Ed Mayer and moved to British Columbia with their
on excerpts from: Mecca Glen Memories
Family reseacher: unknown