Local History & Timelines
The EARLY HISTORY of Ponoka County
"Siding No. 14"
HISTORICAL TIMELINES for the towns of RIMBEY and PONOKA
HISTORICAL TIMELINE for ALBERTA highlighting events that affected the County

Navigator Bar for site HomeDistrictsPioneers indexBiographies IndexHistory IndexLinks IndexLocal Business Indexponokagenweb@yahoo.comPonoka County QueriesResources IndexSchool Index

Under Construction...
We've a little more work to do... Please check back ...

"Trails & Paths"

By Lloyd Bowie - an excerpt from Ponoka Panorama

"The first white man to cross the Ponoka district was David THOMPSON. He travelled south from Fort Augustes, the first part of April, 1800, guided by a Chief of the Water Fall Band of Blackfoot. He describes his trip.
They left Peace Hills at noon, and travelled across a treeless plain to Bears Hill, which was covered with heavy timber and camped for the night. The next morning they went south-east to Battle River Leavings. Here the trail divided; one went to the east and south to Buffalo Lake and Tail Creek (crossing the Red Deer River), the other went up the west bank of the Battle River. The trail going on the west bank of the Battle was four to six feet wide to the Barr of stones, just south of the north bridge in Ponoka. On the Barr of Stones the trail crossed the Battle to the east side and turned southwest to Wolf Creek crossing where the party camped for the night. The trail again; one crossed the creek and was called the Plains Trail, the other being the Wolf Creek Trail. The Plains trail crossed Pretty Plains by Pleasant Hill. The Hudson Bay Company had their storehouse on Wolf Creek near Pleasant Hill. To this day this same trail has been used as a road to link Ponoka and Lacombe. THOMPSON went the Wolf Creek trail, or the wet weather trail. This trail went south on the east side of Wolf Creek, across the school section and across the Vold Land to what is now the C.P.R. right of way. The railroad was built on this same trail to just north of Lacombe. South of Lacombe, the Mountain House trail turned west and passed Gull Lake on the south and went over the Lodgepole Medicine Hills and came out at the Big Stone, a mile north of Mountain House.
The next fur trader to travel this way and leave an account, was Alexander HENRY in October, 1810. He travelled from White Mud House near Pakan to Rocky Mountain House.
George McDOUGALL and his son John travelled the trail in 1863. John used the trail several times in 1867 and 1868.
W.F. BUTLER when sent by the Dominion Government to look into law and order, used this trail. His advice was used in forming the N.W.M.P."


"Siding 14"
The town of Ponoka was originally called "Siding 14" as that is where it was located on the railroad. A station was built there that housed the section crew and the caretaker who looked after the windmill that pumped water from the Battle River to the water tower. The first stationmaster was Mr. Tom J. WEST.
MORE TO COME...

Historical Timeline for the Province of Alberta (events affecting Ponoka County)

1905

Alberta became a province. (Previously, it had been known as part of the NorthWest Territories)

1909

The United Farmers of Alberta was formed.

1923

Alberta Wheat Pool was formed.

1926

Co-op Livestock Marketing Association was formed.


Historical Timeline for the town of PONOKA

1900

First issue of the Ponoka Herald was published (W.D. Pitcairn, editor)

1901

First Real Estate office opened by, C.C. Reid who acted as Dominion Land Agent. He provided legal advice to the settlers and is noted as being the first lawyer in Ponoka.

1901

First hat shop is opened by Mrs. Joe Stretch.

1901

The first hardware stores opened: Spackman's, and R.K. Allan's Hardware

1901

The first furniture store opened, owned by R.K. Allan.

1902

The first men's wear store was opened by A. Fairfield and W. Wornick.

1902

The first 2nd hand store was opened by P.A. Copeman.

1903

The first telephone pole to be installed in the Bell Telephone Calgary to Edmonton phone line was set up across from the Royal Hotel in Ponoka.

1903

Incorporation of the Town.

1903

First mayor was Mr. John D. MacGuillivaray.

1905

The first real estate office was opened by Mr. J.D. MacGillvary.

1905

First telephone exchange in Town was located in Campbell's Drugstore.

1908

Construction began on the Provincial Hospital for the Insane in Ponoka (1 3/4 miles outside of the Town of Ponoka)

1911

First patients were admitted to the Provincial Hospital for the Insane in Ponoka.

1911

Ponoka U.F.A. Cooperative District Association was formed.

1918

Ponoka Co-op Association retail store was opened with G.N. Field as manager.

1926

Ponoka Livestock Association began directing livestock sales.

1931

The Ponoka Hog Pool was formed to handle hog sales in the area.

1946

Gas was piped into the Town

1947

Opening of New General Hospital

1948

Installation of water and sewer works was completed

1953

Installation of concrete sidewalk, curb and gutter was undertaken

1953

Main thoroughfares were paved.

1957

Ponoka Co-op Oils Ltd. was formed to supply farmer with gas and oil at a cheaper price and to pay out dividends on the profits from bulk sales.


HISTORICAL TIMELINE for the town of RIMBEY

1936

Homeglen Springdale Mutual Telephone Company was formed

MORE TO COME ...

 

Looking for more information ? Check out these sites....
Come, visit our Archives site for more bakground info about the County of Ponoka
County of Ponoka ARCHIVES
Come, visit our Historical Archives for more about the development of the County of Ponoka
Visit the Alberta GenWeb Project
Visit the Canada & Alberta GenWeb Projects...
Visit the Canada GenWeb Project
Deb's logo... All articles & graphics were developed, compiled or created by D.A. Owens. 1997 - 2003. All Rights Reserved. The information provided is for research purposes only, and it's accuracy is subject to confirmation. Commercial use of this information is prohibited.