Local Government History Pg1
Municipal Government Formation
Small Improvement Districts
Municipal District of Water Glen #428
Municipal District of the Blindman #430
Municipal District of Fertile Valley #429
Municipal District of Last West #431

Navigator Bar for site HomeDistrictsPioneers indexBiographies IndexHistory IndexLinks IndexLocal Business Indexponokagenweb@yahoo.comPonoka County QueriesResources IndexSchool Index

The Municipal Government Formation of the County of Ponoka
The amalgamation of several inprovement districts created the County of Ponoka
In and around 1903, the Small Improvement Districts of 22-S-4, 21-T-4, 21-W-4 & 22-W-4
were established and covered the areas of Townships 42, 43 & 44 and Ranges 25, 26 & 27,
West of the 4th Meridian.
On December 23, 1912 Improvement District #429 was established from the amalgamation of
the Small Improvement Districts of 22-S-4, 21-T-4, 21-W-4 & 22-W-4.
On March 1, 1918, Improvement District #429 was incorporated and became known as
the
Municipal District of Fertile Valley #429
On January 1, 1944, the Municipal District of Ponoka #66 was formed from the amalgamation of
the Municipal Districts of Water Glen #428 & Fertile Valley #429
On January 1, 1952, the County of Ponoka #3 was created.

Municipal district of Water Glen #428
January 23, 1915
First elected Councillors were: Mr. P.R. Stewart, Mr. J.B. Wilcox, Mr. F.J. Bullock, and Mr. Ed G. Boddy. Two names submitted for Secretary-Treasurer; Mr. Charles A. Johnson and Mr. J.E. Jeffries. In a lot selection, Mr. Johnson appointed Secretary-Treasurer at $150 per annum.
1916
No changes in Council.
1917
Name changed to Municipal District of Water Glen #428.
Elected Councillors were: Mr. P.R. Stewart, Mr. R. Donaldson, Mr. H. Boman, and Mr. F.J. Bullock.
1918
Councillors were: Mr. P.R. Stewart, Mr. H. Boman and Mr. F.J. Bullock.
1919
Elected Councillors were: Mr. Martin Hagglund, Mr. Henry Boman (2 year terms). Mr. Elias Jenkins and Mr. B.R. Headley (1 year terms). (see Section 29, Page 10, M.D. Act) A vote on a herd law by-law was held and passed, but was lost on a technicality in wording. Mr. A.G. Lindbloom was the Returning Officer. Labour wage rates were set at 37 1/2/hour and 62 1/2/hour for man and team respectively.
1920
Mr. F.S. James replaced Mr. B.R. Headley.
1921
Mr. Otto W. Nelson replaced Mr. Martin Hagglund.
1922
No changes in Council.
1923
Mr. B.R. Headley replaced Mr. F.S. James.
1924
No changes in Council.
1925
Mr. Proctor Paulsen became Secretary-Treasurer.
1926
Mr. Roy Vold replaced Mr. B.R. Headley.
1927
Elected Councillors: Mr. O.W. Nelson, Mr. R.E. Williams, Mr. Roy Vold and Mr. H.J. Boman.
1928
Mr. T.L. Jenkins replaced Mr. R.E. Williams.
1929
Mr. Gustav Riske replaced Mr. O.W. Nelson
1930 - 33
No changes in Council.
1934
Mr. R.E. Williams replaced Mr. R.L. Jenkins.
1935 - 42
No changes in Council.
1943
Elected Councillors: Mr. George Sharp, Mr. R.E. Williams, Mr. Roy Vold, and Mr. H.J. Boman.
1944
Amalgamation of Water Glen #428 and Fertile Valley #429 created the Municipal District of Ponoka #66.
1944
Elected Councillors were: Mr. Roy Vold, Mr. Andrew Liddle, Mr. Paul Baker, Mr. Marcus Crandall, and Mr. Jerome Donnelly. Mr. Peter McDonald appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1945
No changes in Council.
1946
Mr. H.J. Boman replaced Mr. Roy Vold.
1947-48
No changes in Council.
1949
Councillors were: Mr. H.J. Boman, Mr. Ivor E. Davies, Mr. Paul Baker, Mr. Marcus Crandall, and Mr. Jerome Donnelly.
1950
Mr. Peter Fraser and Mr. Henry Nagel joined the Council.

Muncipal District of Fertile Valley #429
This Improvement District was established December 23, 1912 and consisted of townships 42, 43 & 44, and ranges 25, 26 & 27, west of the 4th meridian. Prior to this time, the area was split up into 4 smaller Improvement Districts known only by numbers, and formed in 1903 and later.
Improvement District #429 was incorporated March 1, 1918 and became the Municipal District of Fertile Valley #429
1915
First elected Councillors were: Mr. Ed Hinkley, Mr. C.O. Cunningham, Mr. Marcus Crandall, Mr. Anton Lux, Mr. L.V. Bailey and Mr. James Grierson.
1916
Mr. J.W. Kinley replaced Mr. James Grierson. The Secretary-Treasurer's name was not recorded.
1917
Mr. William Gee replaced Mr. Ed Hinkley
1918
Improvement District was incorporated and became the Municipal District of Fertile Valley #429.
Councillors were: Mr. William Gee, Mr. A. Lux (Reeve), Mr. N.B. Curl, Mr. L.V. Bailey, Mr. M. Crandall, and Mr. Edgar Williams. Mr. T.W. Hutchinson appointed as Secretary-Treasurer at $450 per annum. Land assessment rate was set at 7.5 per acre. Labour rate was set at 35 per hour and 12.5 per horse.
1919
Mr. Wm. Hoar replaced Mr. L.V. Bailey.
1920
Elected Councillors were: Mr. Anton Lux, Mr. Ed Williams, Mr. W.J. Hoar, Mr. P.E. Iverson, Mr. B. Auten, and Mr. M. Crandall.
1921
No changes in Council. Mr. Dan Bush appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1922 - 23
No changes in Council.
1924
Elected Councillors were: Mr. E.J. Williams, Mr. A. Lux, Mr. W.J. Hoar, Mr. P.O. Iverson, Mr. B. Auten, and Mr. M. Crandall.
1925
Mr. C.W. Merrill replaced Mr. Anton Lux. Mr. A.B. Baadsgaard appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1927
Elected Councillors were: Mr. H. Zimmerman, Mr. E.J. Williams, Mr. W.J. Hoar, Mr. Wm. Gee, Mr. M.B. Auten and Mr. Phillip Palecheck. Mr. Peter McDonald appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1928
Mr. L.V. Bailey replaced Mr. W.J. Hoar
1929
Mr. Howard Russell replaced Mr. H. Zimmerman.
1930
Mr. R. Tilgen replaced Mr. L.V. Bailey. Mr. W.H. Stretch replaced Mr. William Gee.
1931
Mr. Zimmerman replaced Mr. H. Russell. Mr. Frank Kroll replaced Mr. W.J. Williams
1932
No changes in Council.
1933
Elected Councillors were: Mr. H. Zimmerman, Mr. F. Kroll, Mr. R. Tilgen, Mr. W.H. Stretch, Mr. M.B. Auten, and Mr. John Leidenius.
1934
No changes in Council.
1935
Mr. Arthur Sweet replaced Mr. F. Kroll.
1936
Elected Councillors were: Mr. H. Zimmerman, Mr. A. Sweet, Mr. E.W. Hemeyer, Mr. W.H. Stretch, Mr. M.B. Auten, and Mr. John Leidenius.
1937
Mr. Emil Tilgen replaced Mr. E. Heymeyer.
1938
Mr. W.H. Sheppard replaced Mr. A. Sweet. Mr. M. Crandall replaced Mr. J. Leidenius.
1939
No changes in Council.
1940
Elected Councillors were: Mr. James Paterson, Mr. W.H. Sheppard, Mr. E.W. Tilgen (Reeve), Mr. W.H. Stretch, Mr. A.W. Mattern and Mr. M. Crandall.
1941 - 42
No changes in Council.
1943
Mr. A.C. Bowie replaced Mr. J. Paterson.
1944
Amalgamated with District #428 to become the Municipal District of Ponoka #66.

Muncipal District of the Blindman #430
January 23, 1918
First meeting held at the home of Clyde Eley.
Elected Councillors were: Mr. John Eadie, Mr. Henry Watts, Mr. James Jeffrison, Mr. Paul Edinger, Mr. Charles Bishop, and Mr. James E. Dye. Mr. M.C. Platt appointed Secretary-Treasurer at $300 per annum. At that time, 4,300 boardfeet of bridge plank was purchased at $6
1919
Name changed to Municipal District of the Blindman #430.
Councillors were: Mr. J. Eadie, Mr. Fred Pickette, Mr. Tapley Bunch, Mr. George Betts, Mr. Charles Bishop, and Mr. John Alexander. Secretary-Treasurer's salary set at $500 per annum.
1920
Mr. H.W. Hunting replaced Mr. Fred Pickette. Mr. Bishop's division was left vacant. Councillor Alexander was appointed Reeve. Secretary-Treasurer's salary set at $600 per annum.
1921
Mr. C. Bishop returned to Council. Mr. Alvin J. Hewitt replaced Mr. J.E. Dye. Mr. Josph Renshaw appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1921
A petition went to the Minister of Health for the establishment of a Hospital District.
1922
Elected Councillors were: Mr. J. Alexander, Mr. Henry Watts, Mr. D.W. Ford, Mr. A.J. Hewitt, Mr. Josephy Hodsden and Mr. J.C.Lee.
1923
Mr. J.E. Dye replaced Mr. J. Alexander.
1924
Elected Councillors were: Mr. D.W. Ford, Mr. D.A. Whitesell, Mr. A.J. Hewitt, Mr. Wm. Han, Mr. J.C. Lee and Mr. J.E. Dye.
1925 - 26
No changes in Council.
1927
Mr. W. Archibald replaced Mr. D.W. Ford.
1928
No changes in Council.
1929
Mr. E.E. McDowell replaced Mr. J.C. Lee. Mr. W.A. Saunders appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1930
Mr. G.S. Twiss replaced Mr. William Hann.
1931
Elected Councillors were: Mr. Wesley Wiles, Mr. W.F. Jersey, Mr. J. Donnelly, Mr. George S. Twiss, Mr. E.E. McDowell, and Mr. J.E. Dye.
1932
Mr. William Hann replaced Mr. G. Twiss. Mr. R.W. Burns replaced Mr. E.E. McDowell.
1933
No changes in Council.
1934
The Councillors were: Mr. W. Wiles, Mr. W.F. Jersey, Mr.J. Donnelly, Mr. Alex McKenzie, Mr. Richard Stewart, and Mr. J. Dye.
1935
No changes in Council.
1936
Mr. George Henderson replaced Mr. A. McKenzie. Mr. Carl Lee replaced Mr. Richard Stewart.
1937
No changes in Council.
1938
Councillors were: Mr. W. Wiles, Mr. W.F. Jersey, Mr. J. Donnelly, Mr. George Henderson, Mr. Carl Lee and Mr. J. Roy Burns.
1939
Mr. L.A. Gurnell replaced Mr. W.F. Jersey.
1940 - 43
No changes in Council.
1944
Municipal District of the Blindman #430 amalgamated with Muncipal District of Last West #431 to become Muncipal District of Last West #67.
1944
Elected Councillors were: Mr. D.J. Myers, Mr. P. Fraser, Mr. J.A. Givin, Mr. Charles Campbell, Mr. D. Vanse, and Mr. V. Dersch.

Municipal District of Last West #431
February 8, 1913
First meeting held at Potter Creek Elected Councillors were: Mr. William Connors, Mr. J.H. Lawyer, Mr. John Dixon, Mr. Leo Benson, Mr. John Hull, and Mr. H. Nicholson. Mr. M.C. Platt appointed Secretary-Treasurer at $100 per annum.
1914
Elected Councillors were: Mr. S.W. Eastburn, Mr. H.B. Belt, Mr. John Bargen, Mr. Ed. Capling, Mr. John Hull, and Mr. Hugo Liska. Secretary-Treasurer Platt's salary set at $200 per annum. The rate of land tax was set at 71/2 per acre.
1915
Elected Councillors were: Mr. S.W. Eastburn, Mr. H.B. Belt, Mr. Ed. Capling, Mr. Wm. Hicks, Mr. H.F. Liska, and Mr. John Bargen.
1916
Councillors were: Mr. S.W. Eastburne, Mr. J.H. Belt, Mr. E. Capling, Mr. M. Donovan, Mr. H.F. Liska, and Mr. J.J. Bell. Ratepayers were permitted to work for the District to pay off their taxes (up to $10 maximum); the balance was to be paid in cash.
1917
Mr. L.H. Chabotte replaced Mr. H.J. Belt.
1918
Mr. Wm. Sayles replaced Mr. E. Capling. Mr. H.F. Liska appointed Secretary-Treasurer at $200 per annum.
1919
Mr. Wm. Becker replaced Mr. S.W. Eastburne.
1920
Councillors were: Mr. Joe Lamb, Mr. L.H. Chabotte, Mr. J.J. Bell, Mr. Wm. Sayles, Mr. John Haggarth, and Mr. Ed. Stern.
1921
Mr. John Barwick replaced Mr. Joe Lamb.
1922
Councillors were: Mr. Wm Becker, Mr. J.A. Barwick, Mr. J.J. Bell, Mr. John Dixon, Mr. John Haggarth and Mr. E. Stearn.
1923
No changes in Council.
1924
Council remained the same.
Mr. W.S. Thompson was appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1925
Mr. John Barwick replaced Mr. Fred Rattone.
1926
No changes in Council.
1927
Councillors were: Mr. W.H. Becker, Mr. Fred Rattone, Mr. Ted Jensen, Mr. Victor Owens, Mr. John Haggarth, and Mr. E. Stearn.
1928
Mr. E.O. Peterson replaced Mr. E. Stearn.
1929
Councillors were: Mr. W.H. Becker, Mr. J.J. Bell, Mr. A.J. Clayton, Mr. Victor Owens, Mr. John Haggarth and Mr. E. O. Peterson.
1930
Mr. R.E. Hayward replaced Mr. Peterson. Mr. D. Vance replaced Mr. Haggarth.
1931 - 32
No changes in Council.
1933
Councillors were: Mr. R.E. Hayward, Mr. Fred Rattone, Mr. A.J. Clayton, Mr. Victor Owens, Mr. D. Vance and Mr. A. Torgenson.
1934
No changes in Council. Mr. A. Bird appointed Secretary-Treasurer.;
1935
Mr. C. Wilson replaced Mr. Clayton.
1936
Mr. Arthur Craig replaced Mr. Torgenson.
1937 - 39
No changes in Council.
1940
Councillors were: Mr. R.E. Hayward, Mr. Peter Fraser, Mr. A.E. Fox, Mr. Victor Owens, Mr. D. Vance and Mr. A.C. Craig.
1941
Mr. D.J. Myers replaced Mr. Hayward.
1942
Mr. Clyde Wilson replaced Mr. Fox.
1943
Councillors were: Mr. D.J. Myhers, Mr. P. Fraser, Mr. J.A. Given, Mr. V. Owen, Mr. D. Vance, and Mr. V. Dersch.
1944
Amalgamated with Last West #67.
1945
Councillors were: Mr. D.J. Meyers, Mr. P. Fraser, Mr. J.A. Given, Mr. C. Campbell, Mr. J. Schweiger, and Mr. L.H. Slack. Mr. Victor Owen appointed Secretary-Treasurer.
1946
Mr. A.L. Stout replaced Mr. C. Campbell. Mr. J.G. Anderson replaced Mr. L.H. Slack.
1947 - 48
No changes in Council.
1949
Councillors were: Mr. D.J. Meyers, Mr. P. Fraser, Mr. T. Jensen, Mr. A.R. Stout, Mr. J.B Schweiger, and Mr. J.G. Anderson.

Small Improvement Districts
Prior to the formation of Improvement District #429 in 1912, the area was divided into 4, numbered, small improvement districts which were formed in/or around 1903. Below, some of the councillors are listed, along with the land descriptions of the districts.
22-S-4
Contained in part: Township 43 & 44, in Ranges 25 & 26, West of the Fourth meridian
1901 - 1910
W.M.Fuller
1911 - 1912
Robert Dick (chairman)
1909 - 1910
C.O. Cunningham (chairman)
1911 - 1912
C.O. Cunningham
1909 - 1910
J. Hagerman
1911
J. Hagerman (chairman)
1912
C.P. Kay
1909 - 1912
F.W. Hutchinson (secretary-treasurer)
21-T-4
Contained in part: Township 42, in Ranges 25 & 26, West of the Fourth meridian
1909 - 1910
P. O'Donnell
1909 - 1910
John Cole (chairman)
1911
John Cole
1912
M.L. Haley
1909 - 1912
J.H. Webster (secretary-treasurer)
21-W-4
Contained in part: Township 42, Range 27, West of the Fourth meridian
1909 - 1910
H. Zelie
1911 - 1912
Levi Hurley
1909 - 1912
James Kinley (secretary-treasurer)
22-W-4
Contained in part: Township 43 & 44, Range 27, West of the Fourth meridian
1909 - 1911
Charles Hemeyer
1909 - 1910
G.W. Field
1911 - 1912
L.S. McLeod
1912
S.W. Bailey
1909 - 1912
James D. Stewart (secretary-treasurer)

 

Looking for more information ? Check out these sites....
Come, visit our Archives site for more bakground info about the County of Ponoka
County of Ponoka ARCHIVES
Come, visit our Historical Archives for more about the development of the County of Ponoka
Visit the Alberta GenWeb Project
Visit the Canada & Alberta GenWeb Projects...
Visit the Canada GenWeb Project
Deb's logo... All articles & graphics were developed, compiled or created by D.A. Owens. 1997 - 2003. All Rights Reserved. The information provided is for research purposes only, and it's accuracy is subject to confirmation. Commercial use of this information is prohibited.