The History The Teachers
School Building Picture School District Map
District Quick Facts

Navigator Bar for site HomeDistrictsPioneers indexBiographies IndexHistory IndexLinks IndexLocal Business Indexponokagenweb@yahoo.comPonoka County QueriesResources IndexSchool Index

       
   
In 1896, the original School District application was submitted in the name of Smith's Grove, and covered the areas of what would become the Asker and Waterglen School Districts.
The first schoolhouse was a log cabin purchased from Mr. Sigalet who was located in the territory between Samson and Red Deer Lakes, for the price of $50. There were two houses exactly alike, and Asker bought one and Fair (Waterglen) the other.
       
       

Asker School
---Coming Soon---
This photo courtesy of

Asker School District #408 Map
---Coming Soon---
To see full size readable version of this map, click here

District Quick Facts
District/School Nbr:
408
First school year:
1903
Original name:
Smith's Grove
First teacher(s):
Miss Katherine Carruthers
Date established:
1896
Salary:
$300 per annum
Location:
14-43-23W4th
Last school year:
1949
Name changes:
>1903 became Asker
Last teacher:
Mrs. Allen James
Land/Building:
> Schoolhouse built in 1903
Later Bldg Usage:
--
Architect/Builder:
--
Additional Information:
--
Costs:
--
School tax info:
--

Looking for more information ? Check out these sites....
Come, visit our Archives site for more bakground info about the County of Ponoka
County of Ponoka ARCHIVES
Come, visit our Historical Archives for more about the development of the County of Ponoka
Visit the Alberta GenWeb Project
Visit the Canada & Alberta GenWeb Projects...
Visit the Canada GenWeb Project
Deb's logo... All articles & graphics were developed, compiled or created by D.A. Owens. 1997 - 2002. All Rights Reserved. The information provided is for research purposes only, and it's accuracy is subject to confirmation. Commercial use of this information is prohibited.