The History
The Teachers (Public)
The Teachers (High School) The School Board Trustees (1903 - 1913)
School Building Picture School District Map
District Quick Facts

Navigator Bar for site HomeDistrictsPioneers indexBiographies IndexHistory IndexLinks IndexLocal Business Indexponokagenweb@yahoo.comPonoka County QueriesResources IndexSchool Index

The History of the Pigeon Creek School District #818
It was not until 1901 and 1902 that men in any appreciable numbers began filing on homesteads in the Chesterwold district. However the country "settled" quickly and in 1904 the married people of the district decided they must have a school for their children. Jas. Rairdan, Sam Clark and John Unland Sr., were named directors.
By 1905, with Sam Clark as the chief carpenter and with the help of the other men of the district the school was ready for occupancy and was named Pigeon Creek, after the small river only one-half mile away.
However, all was not clear sailing. Trained teachers and money were both in very short supply, so until Miss Nellie Waddy came in 1909, only Miss Jennie Johnston had trained as a teacher. However, Mrs. Lugston, who lived near the present Sylvan Heights School, and Sam Lanning, a homesteader, a short distance north-east of Pigeon Creek, came to the rescue for the 1905 and 1907 summer terms. Miss Johnston, who later became Mrs. Sim Deuel of Lundgren, taught the 1906 summer term. Although Mr. Lanning and Mrs. Lugston had no formal training, they were able to teach the children the three R's - "Readin', 'Ritin' and 'Rithmatic".
In those early days, when the McLoed and Nejedley children travelled 51/2 miles, the L. Dorans travelled 41/2 miles, all on horse back, it is easy to see why school was only in operaton when the weather was warm.
In 1914, Lawrence Armstrong came at Easter and taught without a holiday until the summer of 1915. He taught again from September until December 1915, when he enlisted in the Canadian Army. Mr. Armstrong had 2 firsts: a) the only teacher to teach in the winter, and b) the first grade 8 class.
In 1945 and 1946 the new Pigeon Creek School was built, 1/2 east of the old school on S.E. Section 5-45-27-W4th. This school was complete with furnace, electricity, basement, playroom and a teacherage. However, 10 years later, Pigeon Creek was consolidated with the Falun School and the new school was sold to the United Church at Mulhurst.
In 1950, the old Pigeon Creek school was sold to "Our Lady of the Snows" Catholic Church and moved 2 miles south to the Pat Doran farm. However, in 1960 a new church was built and Pat bought the old school to use as a granary.
The Teachers (1905 - 1956)
School Board
Some of the surnames of the students
Name
Years
Name
Years
Allen
Santee
Lawrence Armstrong 1914-1915

Rolla Allen

1914-1915

Bowe
Shumard
Gordon Davies 1910

Sam Clark

1905

Brownsworth
Unland
George Fink 1912

Fred Heller

1945-1946

Converse
Warren
Donald Friend ---

Andy Larson

1914-1915

Cooper
1st Grade 8 class
Mr. Gemeroy 1911

Paul Leshard

1945-1946

Doran
Only 2 students who took the departmental examinations, graduated from this class.(*)
Miss Gillies 1913

Jim Parsons

1945-1946

Fink
Miss Jennie Johnston
(Mrs. Sim Deuel)
1905

Jas. Rairdan

1905

Haney

John Unland

1914-1915

Larson
Sam Lanning 1907

John Unland Sr.

1905

McLoed
Magdalene Doran*
Mrs. Lugston 1906
---
---
Nejedley
Robert Doran*
Miss Vi Latam
(Mrs. Ernie Plester)
1935
---
---
Nielsen
Orpha Santee
---
---
Plesher
Marie Unland
Miss Nelly Waddy 1909
---
---
Raidan
Nettie Unland
Mrs. Jane Ungstad ---
---
---
Rochon
---

Pigeon Creek School
---Coming Soon---
This photo courtesy of

Pigeon Creek School District #818 Map
---Coming Soon---
To see full size readable version of this map, click here

District Quick Facts
District/School Nbr:
818
First school year:
1905
Original name:
Chesterwold
First teacher(s):
Miss Jennie Johnston
Date established:
1904
Salary:
--
Location:

> 1st bldg = 1/2 mile east of 2nd bldg.
> 2nd bldg = SE Section of 5-45-27-W4th

Last school year:
1942
Name changes:

> 1905 became Pigeon Creek

Last teacher:
Donald Friend
Land/Building:

> 1905 = 1st bldg.
> 1946 = 2nd bldg.

Later Bldg Usage:
---
Architect/Builder:
Sam Clark
Additional Information:
--
Costs:
--
School tax info:
--


Looking for more information ? Check out these sites....
Come, visit our Archives site for more bakground info about the County of Ponoka
County of Ponoka ARCHIVES
Come, visit our Historical Archives for more about the development of the County of Ponoka
Visit the Alberta GenWeb Project
Visit the Canada & Alberta GenWeb Projects...
Visit the Canada GenWeb Project
Deb's logo... All articles & graphics were developed, compiled or created by D.A. Owens. 1997 - 2002. All Rights Reserved. The information provided is for research purposes only, and it's accuracy is subject to confirmation. Commercial use of this information is prohibited.