Slaves: Jesse C.
Knight of Edgecombe Co. NC
African ancestors documented as property of Jesse C. Knight
(1808) Will of Francis Knight
Edgecombe Co. Will Abstracts 1793 - 1823
Given to son Jesse C. Knight
- Ned: Negro Ned when he is twenty-one
- Note: "My entire estate is to be kept together during the lifetime of my wife, or until my son Henry Knight is twenty-one."
(1854) Will of B.F. Knight
Slaves returned to Richmond for sale
- Negroes: "My Negroes are to be taken to Richmond [VA] and sold by the Messrs. Dickinson, thereby placing them as near as possible upon the footing as they were before I purchased them
- Note: "Father Jesse C. Knight - proceeds of this sale..."
(1856) Jesse C. Knight: Deed
Edgecombe Co. Deed Book 27, page 473, date of deed 1 Jan. 1856, date recorded 10 Aug. 1857
Given to son William H. Knight
- Slaves: "for love and affection, gift of slaves."
(1858) Zachariah Sassnet; Henry W. (son-in-law) and Sarah (daughter)
Edgecombe Co. Deed Book 27, page 634, date of deed 9 Mar 1858, date recorded 11 Mar 1858
Slaves purchased by Jesse C. Knight and held in trust for the use of Sarah Garret
- Amy: about 30 years
- Clarey: age about 6 months
- George Franklin: age about 3 years
- Note: "Jesse C. Knight is to invest the money in slaves and pay the residue of the money to Milton R. Brasfield of Green Co. AL and whereas said Knight bought three slaves....at the price of $1275...the slaves to be held in trust for the use of Sarah for her natural life without interference from said Henry W....if said Henry shall survive said Sarah, he is to have use of slaves for his natural life and then to the children of said Sarah and said Henry..."