SANKOFA'S PLANTATION DATABASE
Location: Ascention Parish, LA
Constructed: late 1700's
History: Houmas Indians originally laid claim to the land where the initial four-room house was built by Maurice Conway and Alexandre Latil in the late 1700s. A Greek Revival mansion was added in 1840.
The plantation reached full flower under John Burnside, an Irish immigrant who built the sugar estate to 20,000 acres. The nearby town is named Burnside. During the Civil War, the plantation wasn't occupied by Union troops because Burnside claimed immunity as a British subject.
Associated Surnames: Burnside, Conway, Latil
Associated Free White Names
Associated Black Slave Names
Description of Associated Architecture
Manuscript Resources on the History of Music, Drama, and Other Performing Arts in the Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections Hill Memorial Library, LSU: Gray, Lillie Trust. Papers, 1860-1920 (bulk 1886-1890). 178 items; 8 vols. Location: U:154; F:9. Musician and teacher at the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Convent, St. James Parish, Louisiana.....Collection also includes household and farm entries; receipts for music lessons; and a payroll book (1865-1867) for Houmas Plantation. http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/guides/perfarts.html