SANKOFA'S SLAVERY DATA COLLECTION

Inglewood Plantation

Location: Alexandria, Rapides Pa., LA
Constructed: ----

History: Inglewood was one of the few plantation homes in Rapides parish to survive the ravages of the Civil War. As General Banks’ army conducted its Red River Campaign in 1864, much of the small city of Alexandria, including the courthouse with all records, was destroyed, along with most of the houses on surrounding plantations. Moreland, home of seccessionist Governor Moore, and Hard Times, both adjacent to Inglewood, were burned to the ground. Although pre-civil war records do not exist, it is thought that Inglewood was originally owned by the Mulholland family, who resided on nearby Ashland Plantation. Mr. Mulholland’s nephew Charles Flower managed the fifteen hundred acre plantation, and probably lived there, later either buying or inheriting the place from his uncle. Mrs. Flower was forced to sell the entire plantation with its house and supporting buildings in 1878 for eight thousand dollars.

The plantation was designated as a National Register Historic District in 1988. In addition to the main house, it includes the Hard Times house, rebuilt in 1870, and its carriage house, a slave cabin, a smoke house and privy(both constructed of brick made on the place), two barns of a later period, and one of the only remaining sharecropper’s cotton barns in Louisiana. There is also a brick commissary, constructed in 1927, now housing The Saxon Guild(a decorative and fine art restoration studio), a pre-civil war schoolhouse and an early 1900's sharecropper's cabin, both of which have been restored and serve as bed and breakfast cottages. The Big House continues to be a private residence.

Associated Surnames: Flower, Mulholland

Associated Plantations: Ashland Plantation (Rapides Pa., LA); Evergreen Plantation (Rapides Pa., LA)


Associated Free White Names

Associated Black Slave Names

Agriculture

Description of Associated Architecture


RESOURCES