SANKOFA'S SLAVERY DATA COLLECTION

Redcliffe Plantation

Original Location: Edgefield Co., SC
Final Location (due to county line change)*: Aiken Co., SC (1871)
Constructed: 1855

History: James Henry Hammond, owner of Silver Bluff Plantation in Barnwell Co., SC, acquired "Redcliffe" in Edgefield Co. (1855) as the place of the new family estate. He completed building the new home in 1859. The lands and slave quarters that made all the new found opulence possible, were still eight miles to the south at his previously acquired plantations, Silver Bluff, Cathwood and Cowden (Barnwell Co.). He had approximately 22 slaves that lived at Redcliffe. The remainder lived at the slave settlements at Silver Bluff, Cathwood and Cowden. *In 1871, Aiken County was formed from parts of Barnwell and Edgefield Counties, and 'Redcliffe' and 'Silverton Township' reverted to Aiken County.

Associated Surnames: Hammond

Associated Plantations: Silver Bluff Plantation (Barnwell Co., SC)


Associated Free White Names

Associated Black Slave Names

Agriculture

Description of Associated Architecture

Research Leads


Other People Researching This Plantation


RESOURCES