SANKOFA'S SLAVERY DATA COLLECTION
Location: on the banks of the Cumberland River; Dover, Stewart Co., TN
History: The original home was constructed in 1859 on a 1257 acre tract of land owned by J.M. Scarborough. He married Mary Graham in 1852 and they reared 11 children. He served as mayor of Dover and Judge of the County court. In 1871 he served one term in the lower house of the state legislature. Between 1861 and 1865 the original home was two-thirds destroyed by fire. The surviving portion of the home was used by the Union forces as a field hospital. The home was rebuilt in 1869 and was much as it is today. Judge Scarborough died in 1893 and the property was purchased by his three older sons at public auction. At this time the house and 400 acres was all that was left of the original plantation. The home changed hands many times until 1925, when it was purchased by Dr. C.R. Crow.
Associated Surnames: Scarborough
Associated Free White Names
Associated Black Slave Names
Description of Associated Architecture
Other People Researching This Plantation