ANCHORAGE BOROUGH, ALASKA USGENWEB PROJECT
ANGELUS MEMORIAL PARK BURIALS - SURNAMES Q
History of Angelus Memorial Park
In 1951, six people filed the necessary paperwork for the establishment of a memorial park . The park opened it's gates in 1951 and the first burials took place in 1952. It was the first memorial park in Alaska. On September 25, 1953 A.S Haines, Rose B. Haines, A.U. Hassman, Dave Franke, Gordon Green and Marilyn Haines met to create Evergreen Memorial Park Association. On that same day, they had the first Board of Trustees Meeting. Rose B. Haines was appointed Chairwoman and A. S. Haines was appointed Secretary of the meeting.
Haines property was purchased by the new Association for $44,000.00
on Sept. 25, 1953 and several more properties were acquired over
the next few years to make up the 37 acres of rolling hills that
belong to Angelus Memorial Park, Inc. today. The first annual meeting
was held in the office of the association on Oct. 1, 1955 at 3 P.M.
The Association became a non-profit corporation on Sept. 14, 1955.
The Park incorporated December 4, 1961 and the park's name was changed
to Angelus Memorial Park on Feb. 11, 1964. It is noteworthy that
Angelus Memorial Park, Inc. was Alaska's first cemetery to establish
a perpetual care fund for the endowment of the corporation. The
park is governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees elected by the
property owners at their annual meeting.
Memorial Park Inc. 440 East Klatt Road Anchorage, Ak. 99515-3448
Copyright 2006 to present by for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.