AnchorageGenWebLogo
ANCHORAGE BOROUGH, ALASKA USGENWEB PROJECT
 
TOWNS AND POPULATED PLACES (FROM USGS RECORDS)
ALYESKA Ski area on Turnagain Arm
ANCHORAGE Alaska's largest city, established in 1913 as the construction camp and headquarters of The Alaska R.R. to be built from Seward to Fairbanks. It was early referred to as "Ship Creek" and "Woodrow", but with the establishment of the Anchorage post office in 1914-15 the residents voted, August 15, 1915, to name the new town Anchorage. The name was derived from that of Knik Anchorage immediately off-shore from the new camp. Its population was estimated to be 6,000 in 1917, but in 1920 it was officially 1,856. In 1930 it was 2,277; 3,495 in 1939; and 11,254 in 1950.
Description: pop. 44,237, on Knik Arm, Cook Inlet, 75 mi. NW of Seward, Cook Inlet Low.
ARTESIAN VILLAGE
BIRCHWOOD Name of a suburb of Anchorage reported in 1939 by USGS.
Description: pop. 534, mile 136.3 on The Alaska RR., 19 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
BONIBROOK Local name reported in 1952 by USGS.
Description: SW of Nunaka Valley, E of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.;
CAMPBELL Name of a flag stop on The Alaska Railroad; listed in the 1918 Official Railroad Guide.
Description: mile 109.3 on The Alaska R.R., 3.5 mi. S of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
CHUGIAK This village is part of the population extension northeast of Anchorage.
Description: on Glen Highway, S of Birchwood, 18 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
DEBARR VISTA Local name reported in 1952 by USGS.
Description: Located E of Anchorage, between Nanuka Valley and Homesite Park, Cook Inlet Low.
EAGLE RIVER Local name reported in 1939 by USGS. The Eagle River post office was established in 1961.
Description: pop. 130, on N bank of Eagle River on Glenn Highway, 13 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
EKLUTNA Tanaina Indian village and railroad station, the latter established in 1918. At this place may have originally been one of the knik villages. See knik. The Eklutna Power House, a hydro-electric project supplying electricity to Anchorage is located near here. The Eklutna post office was established in 1926; discontinued in 1945 (Ricks, 1965, p. 18).
Description: pop. 50, mile 141.2 on The Alaska RR. at the head of Knik Arm at the mouth of Eklutna River 25 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
FORT RICHARDSON
GIRDWOOD Named for James E. Girdwood, a miner, who came to the area in 1896 (DeArmond, 1962, p. 40-41). The Girdwood post office was established in 1907 (Ricks, 1965, p. 23).
Description: On Seward Highway and The Alaska Railroad, on NE shore of Turnagain Arm, 11 mi. NE of Sunrise and 35 mi. SE of Anchorage, Chugach Mts.
GREEN ACRES Residential district in city of Anchorage reported in 1954 by office of city engineer of Anchorage.
Description: adjacent to S edge of Anchorage 2.7 mi. SE of City Hall, Cook Inlet Low.
HOMESITE PARK Subdivision beyond the corporate limits of Anchorage; named by Manvil H. Olson in 1953 because "the original block of land has been divided into smaller tracts which have become homesites."
Description: S of Glenn Highway, 5 mi E of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
KNIK HEIGHTS Local name reported in 1962 by USGS; derived from Knik Arm.
Description: near head of Rabbit Creek, 6 mi. SE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low
MOUNTAIN VIEW Local name reported in 1941 by AMS.
Description: in NE section of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
NUNAKA VALLEY Local name reported in 1954 by the city engineer of Anchorage.
Description: pop. 1,442, E of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
PETERS CREEK Local name reported in 1960 by USGS. Recent USGS maps indicate a site with five or six buildings.
Description: on Glenn Highway E of Birchwood 20 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
POTTER HILL Local name reported in 1964 by USGS; name derived from nearby Potter Creek.
Description: on Seward Anchorage Highway, at Rabbit Creek, 9 mi. S of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
ROGERS PARK No information
SPENARD named for Joseph A Spenard, 1879-1934, an early Anchorage settler and businessman who had a homestead on the shore of Lake Spenard. A post office, established here in 1949 but discontinued in 1953 (Ricks, 1965, p. 60).
Description: pop. 9,074, between Anchorage and Anchorage International Airport, 3 mi. SE of Point Woronzof; Cook Inlet Low.
TUOMI Local name reported in 1942 by AMS. Recent USGS maps indicate a site of five or six buildings.
Description: on the NE shore of Tuomi Lake, 4.7 mi. NE of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low
TURNAGAIN HEIGHTS Local name reported in 1952 by USGS.
Description: in SW part of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
WILSON VILLAGE
WONDER PARK Local name reported in 1954 by the city engineer of Anchorage.
Description: E of Anchorage, S of Glenn Highway, Cook Inlet Low.

 

Return to Home Page

Copyright 2006 to present by for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-