August Aalto, was born in Tampere, Finland on February 19, 1866, his wife Maria Nyyssala was born in Lappajarvi, Finland in 1870. The couple married in California in 1892 and settled in the small coastal town of Noya, near Fort Bragg. The first three children of Maria and August, Lempi, Ilmi and Helmi were born in Fort Bragg, California. August found employment with the expanding railroad system and as the railroad pushed north so did the Aaltos. In 1898, with the reports of gold in the Klondike, August headed north to Alaska. The family soon followed and set up housekeeping in Dyea. While in Dyea, Hilda, their fourth child was born. They did not stay long in Dyea, but moved to Douglas by 1900. August worked as a blacksmith for the Treadwell Mining Company. In the next ten years, by 1910, August and Maria had four more daughters, Impi, Laina, Selma and Lillian. After the Treadwell Mine ceased operation, August was employed by the Alaska-Juneau Mining Company as a machinist and blacksmith. Maria Aalto passed away in 1946. August lived to the age of 92, spending his last several years living with his daughter Helmi and Ed Bach in Douglas. August passed away in October, 1948, both he and Maria are buried in the Douglas cemetery.
Anton Afric, Douglas Resident, Born in Austria on January 8, 1873, died December 8, 1937. He worked as a miner at the Treadwell Mine and later for the Alaska Juneau Gold Mining Company. He was a member of the Moose and Croation Lodges. An ad in a local newspaper refers to the Africh & Africh (sic) store and residence which he may have operated with his brother John Africh.
August Aalto, Douglas Resident, Born in Tanperi, Finland on February 19, 1866, died on October 17, 1958. He arrived in Douglas around 1890 and worked in the Treadwell and later the A.J. Mines. He had a small dairy farm on Saint Anns Avenue and in 1912 was the owner of the Midnight Express Company. He is buried in the Douglas Odd Fellows Cemetery.
George E. Anderson, Douglas Resident, Born in Bodie, California on July 22, 1882, died on January 30, 1901. He moved to Douglas in 1889 when he was six years old. He worked at Trteadwell at the time of his death which was caused by an explosion at the 700 Foot Mine. It was said that his funeral was the largest on Douglas Island. He is buried in Douglas City Cemetery.
Dr. Jacob P. Anderson, Alaska botanist and legislator. Anderson was born at Glenwood, Utah, in 1874 and at the age of two moved to Nebraska. In 1897 he moved to Iowa where he graduated from the State College at Ames. In 1914 he came to Alaska s Special Assistant at the Agricultural Experiment Station at Sitka. He moved to Juneau in 1917 and for many years operated a florist shop and greenhouse. In 1937 and 1939 he served in the House of Representatives of the Alaska Legislature and in 1939 Governor Troy appointed him Director of the Census for Alaska. The University of Alaska honored him with a Doctor of Science degree in 1940. In 1941 Dr. Anderson returned to Iowa state College to become Assistant Curator of the Herbarium. He was Alaska's foremost botanist and wrote extensively on this subject as well as collecting more than 20,000 specimens in the territory. He died at Rochester, Minnesota, February 16, 1953. Mount Anderson - the most northerly peak in the chain extending along the eastern side of Douglas Island, 4.3 miles northwest of Juneau. Elevation 2616 feet. Named for Dr. Jacob P. Anderson.
Nells Anderson and Maria Newman Anderson, Douglas Resident, Born in Ornestaad, Sweden on October 8, 1872, died on July 13, 1928. Hes married Nels Anderson in 1895 and moved to Juneau in 1897 and to Douglas in 1904. Nels worked for the Treadwell as a foreman of the Ready Bullion Mine. He was mayor of Douglas in 1925. Maria Anderson is buried in the Douglas Odd Fellows Cemetery.
Michael B. Archer and Sarah Anne Archer, Douglas Resident, Born in Flintstone, England on 1846, died on October 25, 1904. He was married to Michael B. Archer who was the Treadwell marshall in 1910. She owned a store in Union City which was located west of the current Douglas Bridge. They also had a small dairy in 1903. Sarah Anne Archer is buried in the Douglas City Cemeter