Mr. and Mrs. B.M. Behrends, pioneer residents of Alaska and of Juneau. Bernard M. Behrends was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1862 and came to the United States with his parents in 1878. They settled at Nebraska City, Nebraska, where he worked on his father's farm and clerked in the country store. In 1884 he moved to California where he prospected, mined, and engaged in merchandising, reaching the position of store manager. In 1887 he came to Alaska, arriving at Sitka on May 22 on the sidewheel steamer Ancon. A few days later he went to work as clerk and bookkeeper at the Sitka Trading Company which was operated by John G. Brady, later Alaska's fifth governor. In December, 1887, Behrends came to Juneau as manager of the Juneau branch of the Sitka Trading Company, then located on the waterfront on the present site of Thomas Hardware Company. On October 25, 1889 at Sitkam he married Miss Virginia M. Pakle, Dr. Sheldon Jackson performing the ceremony. Miss Pakle was born in West Virginia on April 9, 1863, and arrived at Sitka in May 1886, as a teacher and missionary. She taught at the Sitka Training School, now Sheldon Jackson Community College and at the government school in Sitka until her marriage. Behrends continued as manager of the store at Juneau until the Sitka Trading Company closed it in April 1891. After a trip to the States, he rented space in the Dixon Building on the west side of Seward Street next to the present B.M. Behrends Bank Building and opened a small banking business which grew rapidly. In 1892 Behrends purchased the property on the southeast corner of Third and Seward, built his own store building and moved into it in November. For some time the bank had quarters in the store building an later it was moved to the adjoining building on Seward Street. The B.M. Behrends Mercantile Company was incorporated December 1903, and the B.M. Behrends Company on January 20,1904. In 114 a new building was erected for the bank, across the street from the store on the southwest corner of Third and Seward as a member of the first Juneau City Council in 1900 and again on the second Council in 1901. He was president of the Evergreen Cemetery Association and served several terms as City Treasurer. Both he and Mrs. Behrends were active in many civic affairs. In 1936 Mrs. Behrends became ill while on a trip through interior Alaska the following summer, was hospitalized at Cordova and Died there on August 12, 1936. Both were buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Juneau. Behrends Avenue - a residential street in the Highlands Addition, northwestern part of Juneau, was named for Mr. and Mrs. B.M. Behrends.
Thomas J. Bowman, Native, Douglas Resident, Born in Douglas on December 17, 1887, died on May 3, 1957. He was a carpenter by trade and was a charter member of the Douglas Camp of Alaska Native Brotherhood and served as president for nine years. He was a veteran of the Battle of Kiska during World War II. He and his wife Sarah owned a house in Douglas Native Village on Sandy Beach. He is buried in the Douglas Russian Orthodox Cemetery.
Frederick Worthen Bradley was born in Nevada County, California in 1863. He attended the University of California and was active in mining during his entire adult life, starting as an assayer at the Eagle Bird Mine in Nevada in 1884. He served as superintendent or president of many mining companies in California, Idaho, and Oregon. He was president of the Tacoma Smelting Company from 1898-1905, president of the Alaska Juneau Gold Mining Company from 1900, president of the Treadwell, Mexican and Alaska United Gold Mining Companies on Douglas Island from 1911, and was a San Francisco bank director as well as director of the First National Bank of Juneau. He served one term as president of the American Mining Institute and in 1931 was awarded the Saunder Gold Medal for outstanding achievement in mining. He died at Alta, California July 6, 1933. Mount Brandley - on Douglas Island, 3.6 miles due south from Juneau. Elevation 337 feet. It is also known as Mount Jumbo, the name given it in early years, perhaps from the Jumbo mining claim located near its base. Early in 1939 the people of Douglas launched a movement to rename the mountain for F.W. Bradley. The Douglas Chamber of Commerce and the Douglas City Council adopted resolutions advocating the change and petition with many local signatures was filed with the Board of Geographic Names. The Board adopted the name Bradley in May 1939.
Peter Bulger arrived in Juneau from Sitka early in 1881 and in March of that year claimed two town lots , one on Main Street and one on the waterfront. Later in the year he located mining claims in Silver Bow Basin and was associated with such well-known early Juneauites as John Olds and Pat McGlinchy in mining operations. He remained in Juneau until 1888 when he went to Wrangell to prospect. The following year he was operating a salmon saltery on Wrangell Narrows and he continued in that business until his death at Wrangell in 1897. Bulger Hill was the miner's name for a knob on the easterly side of Mount Roberts, between Quartz Gulch and Icy Gulch. It was the site of some of Peter Bulger's mining claims. Bulger Way - a stairway alley connecting South Franklin Street and Gastineau Avenue opposite Admiral Way. Named for peter Bulger who owned property there.
Father Edward Howard Brown, S.J., was born in Baltimore, Maryland, May 15, 1860. He attended Loyola College and Georgetown University, taught for three years at Georgetown and two at Fordham, and studied theology at Holy Cross. He then volunteered for the Rocky Mountain Mission. Ordained at Spokane, Washington, in 1894, he was minister and Prefect of Discipline at Gonzaga College during the next three years. He also spent four years at Seattle College as Prefect of Studies and Discipline. Father Brown arrived at Juneau on August 12, 1904, to assume charge of the parish, and remained here until September 25, 1913. Skilled in carpentry, he supervised the construction of an addition to St. Ann's Hospital and built the church and pastor's residence. In 1913 he was appointed Chaplain of the First Territorial Senate. After leaving Juneau he was at Tacoma and Spokane, Washington and Pendleton, Oregon. He died at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital at Pasco, Washington, June 21, 1925, and was buried in the Cemetery of the Scholasticate at Hillyard near Spokane. Father Brown's trail - the early name for the trail up Mount Roberts. Named for Father Edward Howard Brown who was active in its original construction. In the summer of 1906 Thomas P. Wickes, who had been active in the promotion of trails in the Adironak Mountains, proposed the formation of a Trail Association at Juneau and the development of a local system of trails. Father Brown took up the idea and with volunteer help began work on the Mount Robert's trail. It was finished to the top of the mountain in June 1908. In 1922 the lower part of the trail was relocated and the entire trail was rehabilitated by the Forest Service. The trail starts from the east end of Sixth Street and old-timers still call it the Father Brown Trail.
Benjamin Bullard who was born in Michigan in 1848, grew up in California and engaged in mining there. He was said to have been a graduate civil and hydraulic engineer. Bullard came north to the Klondike in 1897 and after a few years at Dawson and Circle City moved to Juneau. In 1904 and 1905 he staked a number of placer claims on Mendenhall River, just below the glacier. In 1907 he began mining the hydro-electric power site on Nugget Creek and sold it to the Treadwell Mining Company. About 1916 he moved to Taku River and claimed a 148 acre homestead at what is now known as Bullard's Landing. He died on his homestead on May 22, 1933. Bullard Mountain - on the mainland east of Mendenhall Glacier and north of Nugget Creek, approximately 10 miles northwest of Juneau. Elevation 4200 feet, was named for Benjamin Bullard.