Mr. and Mrs. John J. Calhoun, arrived in Juneau from Wisconsin in 1888 and established a dairy along what is now Calhoun Avenue. They occupied Block 32, now the site of the Governor's House, and part of Block 43, and grazed their cows along Gold Creek, the south bank of which was sometimes called Calhoun Flats. In 1902 they sold the dairy and moved to Seattle where John Calhoun died in 1906. Mrs. Calhoun died at Nanaimo, British Columbia, April 27, 1912. Calhoun Avenue - a residential street and principal traffic artery running along the edge of the bluff from Fourth Street to Gold Creek. Named for Mrs. Mary V. Calhoun. The street was first opened about 1890 to provide access to Evergreen Cemetery, which had then just been established. It was first known as Cemetery Road and this name continued in use at least as late as 1902. It then became Calhoun Road and finally Calhoun Avenue.
Captain James Carroll, steam ship captain and early Juneau property owner. Carroll was born in Ireland in 1840 and came to the U.S. with his parents when he was a year old. They settled in Illinois and he began his seafaring career on the Great Lakes. Later he voyaged to many parts of the world in both sail and steam. Joining the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, he got his first command, the steamer Montana, in 1870. Captain Carroll was in command of the enormous sidewheel steamer Great Republic when she was wrecked at the mouth of the Columbia River in 1879 but was held blameless. Shortly after that he began running to Alaska at various times commanded the California, Ancon. Idaho. Mexico, Queen, and other vessels for the Pacific Coast Steamship Company. Joe Juneau and Richard Harris staked two of the first mining claims in the Juneau area in Carroll's name, including one of the first claims ever staked on Douglas Island. For many years he held interests in mining property on both sides of Gastineau Channel. With M.W. Murray, Carrol owned the first wharf at Juneau, near the present City Float, and for many years the entire tract between Carroll Way and Bulger Way was known as the Carroll and Murray Wharf Site. About 1895 Carroll bought Murray's interest in the wharf and donated the stock to the City of Juneau. That same year he built a new wharf on the site now occupied by Alaska Coastal Airlines. Captain Carroll was elected to represent Alaska as an unofficial delegate to the 51st Congress. In Washington he made headlines by offering to buy the Territory for double the price paid Russia. He also succeeded in getting some minor Alaska bill enacted. About 1902 Captain Carroll retired from his long service at sea and for several years acted as Seattle agent for the Tyee Whaling Company, which was operating in Southeastern Alaska. He died at his home in Seattle May 19, 1912. Carrol Way - a narrow alleyway between South Franklin Street and Gastineau Avenue opposite the City Float. Named for Captain James Carroll
Tom Cashen, Douglas Resident, Born on Juanry 8, 1873, died on September 13, 1931. He was working as a blacksmith at the Treadwell Mine as early as 1901, when he married Sadie King. He continued working at the trade until the Treadwell cave-in in 1917. In 1925 he was a wharfinger for the City of Douglas.
Joseph Bullock Coghlan, U.S. Navy, who commanded the U.S.S. Adams in these waters in 1883-1884. Coghlan was born at Frankfort, Kentucky, December 9, 1844. Appointed to the Naval Academy from Illinois in 1860, he became an ensign in 1863 and was in combat service during the last part of the Civil War. In 1883 he had reached the rank of commander and took charge of the Adams at Sitka in September. During the ensuing years he made surveys in Peril Straight, Chatham Straight and Lynn Canal. In 1897, as a captain, he was in command of the U.S. Raleigh on the Asiatic station and he took an active part in the Battle of Manila Bay on May 1, 1898, and in other phases of the Philippines campaign. Commandant of the Puget Sound Navy Yard in 1899-1900 and of the New York Navy Yard in 1901-02. He retired on December 9, 1906 and died in 1908. Coghlan Island - at the entrance to Auke Bay, 11.5 miles northwest of Juneau. Named by the Coast Survey in 1885 for Joseph Bullock Coghlan.
Isaac Cropley who for many years was employed by the Treadwell Mining Company. For more than 20 years he was in charge of the Treadwell Ditch which has its northern terminus at Fish Creek. Cropley arrived in Juneau in 1887 or earlier and went to work for the Treadwell Company soon afterward. He was a member of the `87 pioneers Association and died at Juneau on August 13, 1913. Cropley Lake - a pond on the headwaters of Fish Creek, Douglas Island, four miles southwest of Juneau. So called for Isaac Cropley.