Albert Dazadelli, Douglas Resident, Born in Italy in 1887, died March 2, 1910. He worked at the Mexican Mine of the Treadwell. He died in an explosion which also tood the lives of 36 other miners. The explosion took place on the 1,000 foot level in the powder magazine while the miners were waiting for the hoist to take them to the surface at the end of their shift. He is buried in the Douglas City Cemetery.
Edward O. `Ned' Decker, early Juneau merchant. Decker was born near Roxbury, New York, in 1857 and spent five years mining the Black Hills before arriving in Juneau early in 1882. He engaged in mining on Gold Creek and elsewhere for five years, then opened a store on the site of the present Decker Building on South Franklin Street in 1887 or 1888. His younger brother, Jay, soon joined him and they operated as Decker Brothers. In 1891 they advertised: "We have knocked the bottom out of the old Cassiar prices--Goods delivered free of charge by canoe or wheelbarrow." In 1894 Decker Brothers built a new store on the water side of Front Street at the foot of Seward. E.O. Decker retired from the business not long afterward and died at Rocksprings, New York, on April 20, 1899. His original building on South Franklin was raised in 1908 and his widow built the present Decker Building on the site in 1935. Decker Way - an alley stairway running from South Franklin Street to Gastineau Avenue. Named for Edward O. `Ned' Decker.
General Distin was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, February 9, 1843, enlisted at the outbreak of the Civil War and served in many of its major engagements. Later he was in Illinois National Guard and served as aid-de-camp to Governors Hamilton, Olgesby, and Fifer of that state. He also served a term as Grand Commander of the Republic. On August 7, 1897, President McKinley appointed him the first Surveyor-General of Alaska, which office he held until October 18, 1913. In the fall of 1906 he moved the records, papers, and furnishings of the Governor's Office from Sitka to Juneau, thus finally establishing Juneau as the capital. General Distin died at Chicago, November 20, 1914. Distin Avenue - a short residential street branching of Indian Street in the central part of Juneau. Named for General William Langmead Distin, Surveyor- General of Alaska 1897-1913. The street was first named Farnum Street for Oliver T. Farnum
Colonel Richard Dixon, the street name first appeared in the records in 1888. Dixon, who seems to have been a colonel by courtesy , was a pioneer miner in California, the Cariboo, and Cassiar and arrived at Juneau from Wrangell in a dugout canoe early in 1881. The first miners' meeting in the new camp, on February 9, 1881, elected him Recorder for the Jarris Mining District and he was re-elected each year thereafter until the duties were taken over by the U.S. Commissioner in 1884. Dixon had mining property in Silver Bow Basin and was one of the earliest mineral locators on Sheep Creek. He died at Juneau on May 17, 1892. Dixon Street - running from First Street to Ninth Street and traversing the length of Court House Hill. Apparently named for Colonel Richard Dixon.
Mr. and Mrs. John Dotson who homesteaded near there in 1914 and lived there for many years. John Dotson was born in West Virginia, November 10, 1862. Mrs. Dotson was born in Wisconsin, May 1, 1866. Mrs. Dotson died at Juneau February 17, 1933. John Dotson died at Juneau November 20, 1937. Dotson's Landing - on a cove of Eagle Harbor, just south of Salt Lake, 19 miles northwest of Juneau. It is also known a Eagle River Landing. A branch road reaches the cove from Glacier Highway. The landing was named for Mr. and Mrs. John Dotson