Daniel Kennedy, who was one of the early land claimants in that area. Kennedy was born in Ireland on July, 4 1832, and went to sea at age 11. Later he settled in Philadelphia for a time and about 1853 moved to the gold fields of California. After prospecting and mining in many parts of the West he joined the rush to the Cassiar in 1874. In 1876 he moved to Sitka on Thanksgiving day, 1878, married Katherine Kasnikoff, daughter of a Russian missionary. Early in 1881 Kennedy came to Juneau and soon afterward sent for his family. A son, James, was said to have been the first white child born in Juneau, and another son, Dan served in the Alaska Legislature in 1937. In 1883 Kennedy became night watchman for the town, being compensated by private subscription. The family home was then on the present sight of the Baranof Hotel, but Kennedy also claimed a large tract on the upperside of what is now Kennedy Street and raised a garden there. In 1892 he moved with his family to Cook Inlet, where he took up a coal claim on Kachemak Bay. He returned to Juneau the following year and resumed the job of night watchman, holding it until 1911 when he retired. Kennedy died at Juneau on January 28, 1913. Kennedy Street - a short residential street in the Starr Hill section of Juneau. Named for Daniel Kennedy.
Thomas Knudson who came to Alaska in 1893 and in 1896 staked a 320 acre homestead at its mouth, In 1905 when Knudson was granted patent he was said to have been the first Alaskan homesteader to secure title to his ground. He farmed there for many years, then sold the homestead. He was a member of the Juneau City Council in 1920 and died at Juneau on February 27, 1931, age 65. Duck Creek - enters Gastineau Channel just north of the Juneau Airport and parallels Mendenhall River. The creek has had a succession of names. On June 9, 1885, Daniel Foster, claiming a 160 acre homestead, called it Duck Creek. The following year, Frederick Barney, in another homestead claim, called it Sand Bar Creek. For many years the creek was locally known as Knudson Creek, for Thomas Knudson. The name Duck Creek again made its appearance on a Geological Survey 1912 and is now used on all maps of the area.
Chief Kowee, one of the chiefs of the Auk Tlingits. Kowee may have had a summer house at the mouth of this creek and in some accounts he is credited with having guided Joe Juneau and Richard Harris to their original gold find at Silver Bow Basin. At any rate, Juneau and Richard Harris staked the "Kow-eeh Gold an Silver Quartz Lode" claim on Cowee Creek on October 12, 1880. The early miners usually spelled the name Kowee or Kow-eeh, although occasionally the form Cowee or Cow-eeh was used. The creek is known as Kowee Creek on mineral survey play No. 569, by C.E. Davidson, August 15, 1902, but the following year when W.J. Peters, topographer with the U.S. Geological Survey, mapped the area he showed it as Cowee Creek and this spelling has been followed on subsequent maps. Chief Kowee lived in the Auk village at Juneau right after the whites came here and served as Indian policemen during the days of Navy rule. He died at his home in Juneau on February 27, 1892, at an age estimated as 75, and his body was cremated with the usual ceremonies. A plaque marking the approximate site of the cremation stands at Glacier Avenue and Irwin Street. Cowee Creek - on Douglas Island, discharging into Gastineau Channel just north of the bridge. Named for Kowee.