Alaska GenWeb | US GenWeb | Canada GenWeb | World GenWeb
Juneau GenWeb Alaska Capital City
       

powered by FreeFind
 
Home | Alaskan Native | Biographies | Cemeteries | Census | City Vault | History | Immigration | Land | Military | Misc. Records | Newspapers | Obituaries | Resources |Vital Records

  "L" BIOGRAPHIES 


To find records, click on the first letter for the surname:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z


William Lawson was born at St. Johns, New Brunswick, December 27, 1843. He moved west at an early age, came to Juneau late 1881 or early 1882. A skilled carpenter and boatbuilder, he erected a number of Juneau's early business buildings and, like nearly everyone else in the country at that time, engaged in mining on the side. About 1904 he settled with others near Cape Fanshaw an the community there was known for a time as Lawson. Returning to Juneau, he served as Street Commissioner during one of the administrations of Mayor Emery Valentine. In 1922 Lawson became blind and entered the Pioneer's Home at Sitka. In 1930 he was sent to Morningside Hospital near Portland and died there on January 29, 1932. Lawson Creek - on Douglas Island, draining into Gastineau Channel opposite Juneau. Named for William Lawson, an early resident of Juneau and Douglas. In 1881 the miners called this Lazard Creek, probably for N.B. Lazard who located mining claims near it. It was also known as Big Creek and Falls Creek. The name Lawson first appeared in the mining records of 1894.

 

 
 

This Page Was Last Updated April 15, 2014

This Site has been visited:

Since May 2006

Visit RootsWeb

Home Juneau GenWeb Project Alaska Natives Button Biographies Button Cemetery Records Button Census Records Button Family Group Sheet Button Help Button, Additional Resources Juneau History Button Land Records Button Military Records Button Misc. Records Button Newspaper Button Obituaries Button Vital Records Button