John S. Seatter, Born in England in 1845, Seatter was said to have started prospecting in 1878. His name does not appear in local mining records before 1895, however, and it is probable that he arrived in Juneau not long before that year. He died at Juneau on July 14, 1913. Seatter Street - a residential street in the northwestern part of Juneau, adjoining Evergreen Cemetery. Named for John S. Seatter, who staked a placer mining claim in that area in 1895. The claim, which included a part of the present cemetery, was found by the land office to be non-mineral in character and Seatter homesteaded and farmed a portion of his original claim.
Thomas Shorty, Alaska Native, Douglas Resident, Born in 1894, died on September 9, 1926. He was a well known fisherman and said to be one of the most honorable and well liked natives on Douglas Island. He was reportedly of the Raven clan. His wife, Susie, was Wooshkeetaan of the Eagle Clan. He is buried in Douglas Russian Orthodox Cemetery.
Mat Slujo, Douglas Resident, Born in Austira on January 15, 1886, died May 15, 1921. He was reportedly the last person to die at the Treadwell before it closed. He worked at the Ready Bullion mine, the only mine of the Treadwell group of mines not flooded in the 1917 cavein. His widow, Sarka, was the daughter of Anton Krasel, a tailor, who operated a business on St. Anns Avenue as early as 1910.
Henry Shattuck was born at East Portland, Oregon, April 27, 1870, and came to Juneau in 1897 as bookkeeper for the C.W. Young Company. The following year he organized Shattuck and Company, engaging in the insurance and brokerage business and acting as agent for the Alaska Steamship Company. In 1904 he organized the Juneau Steamship Company which operated small steamers on the mail run to Sitka and Skagway. In 1909 Shattuck was appointed Clerk of the District Court by Judge Thomas R. Lyons and served in that capacity until 1911. In that year he purchased the hardware business of J.P. Jorgenson on the present site of Thomas Hardware Company and organized the Alaska Supply Company in Juneau Lumber Company. During the first World War Shattuck operated a sawmill at Craig, producing airplane spruce. Later he returned to Juneau where he died on July 25, 1925. Shattuck Way - runs from Front Street to Marine Way in downtown Juneau and was named for Henry Shattuck, Juneau businessman, who in 1914 donated to the city a strip of property for the street right-of-way.
Victor Clar Spaulding, Born at Amherst, Massachusetts, November 18, 1867, Spaulding came north in 1897 and spent some time at Dawson and Atlin. In 1906 he was mining at Yankee Basin, north of Juneau. In June, 1908, Spaulding and Charles Wylie located several lode claims on what they called Treasury Hill, some four miles north of Auke Bay. They built a trail, now known as the Spaulding Trail, to the claims and did development work there. The Spaulding Trail leaves the highway at Mile 13. In 1916 Spaulding married Miss Dora Waydelich at Juneau and thereafter made his home on the old Waydelich homestead at Auke Bay. He died at Juneau on August 13, 1937. Spaulding Point - in Auke Bay at the mouth of Waydelich Creek, near Mile 13 on Glacier Highway. Named for Victor Clar Spaulding, who made his home in that vicinity for many years.
Carl Spuhn was born October 12, 1855, at Godesburg on the Rhine, Germany. He came to the United States and to the Pacific Coast with the Henry Villard railroad and shipping interests and made his home at Portland, Oregon. In 1880 he was made co-manager with Captain John M. Vanderbilt of the Northwest Trading Company, in which Villard had an interest. The company established a number of trading posts and stores in Southeast Alaska, including one at Juneau, built a whaling station and reduction plant at Killisnoo and a salmon cannery at Chilkat. Spuhn spent some time in the company's store at Juneau soon after the founding of the town, staked a mining claim or two on Gold Creek and acted as secretary at one of the miners' meetings in August 1881. Later he made his home at Killisnoo where he managed the herring fishery and reduction plant and served as postmaster and United States Commissioner. He retired about 1916 when the herring plant changed ownership and died at Portland, Oregon, on February 17, 1927. Spuhn Island - at the western entrance to Gastineau Channel and on the southerly side of the entrance to Auke Bay, 10 miles northwest of Juneau. It was named in 1880 by Commander L.A. Beardslee of the U.S.S. Jamestown for Carl Spuhn of the Northwest Trading Company. It was sometimes called Mineral Island by miners who staked lode claims on it in later years. A chicken ranch was located there for some years and later it became a fox farm. Carl
Frank Starr, an early resident of the area. Starr was born in Maine about 1849, served in the Civil War and came north to the Cassiar in 1874. In 1879 he moved to Sitka where the census of 1880 listed him as a carpenter and builder. Early in 1881 Starr moved to Juneau and staked claims at Silver Bow Basin and worked them. He built the first wharf at Juneau, near the present Juneau Cold Storage, and the first wharf at Treadwell. About 1883 he went to Killisnoo to do construction work for the Northwest Trading Company, and the following year he staked a coal claim on Admiralty Island. In 1888 he was operating a salmon saltery at Whitewater Bay on Chicagof Island. He returned to Juneau and in 1896 claimed a number of lots on Starr Hill. Starr was described as a man with great physical strength but he took ill and died at Juneau on November 5, 1898. Starr Hill - a residential area on the northeastern part of Juneau, was named for Frank Starr
John C. Strapran, Douglas Resident, born in 1888, died on November 15, 1920. He was a native of Russia and came to America in his teens. He arrived in Treadwell about 1918 and worked as an electrican at the mine. Later he worked for the Juneau Lumber Mills as an engineer on a loading crane. He was unmarried. He is buried in the Douglas Odd Fellows Cemetery.