John W. Waydelich, one of the first white settlers in the Auke Bay area. Waydelich's birthplace is not recorded but he was reported to have been a graduate of Yale University. He came west to Montana and then to Cariboo and the Omineca and finally into the Cassiar. Waydelich had a farm on one of the islands at the mouth of the Stikine River in 1874 and later moved to Windham Bay and mined on Shuck River. In 1881 he moved to Juneau and in 1892 claimed a homestead of 160 acres "on Auk Bay, about two miles east of Old Auk Town" and on the creek which now bears his name. He cleared a part of the homestead and raised produce which he sold in Juneau. Waydelich was a member of the '87 Pioneers Association and his signature appears on the original charter of the organization in the Territorial Museum. Usually known as "Wes" or "West" he died at Juneau on August 17, 1914, at which time his age was reported as both 74 and 80. Waydelich Creek - on the mainland, discharging into Auke Bay 11 miles northwest of Juneau. The name is incorrectly spelled "Wadleigh" on some maps. The creek was named for John W. Waydelich.
Richard G. Willoughby, Uncle Dick" Willoughby, as he was commonly known, was reported to have been born in North Carolina or Tennessee and to have first gone to California in 1849. A few years after that he was in Kansas and was married in Missouri in 1854, leaving at once with his bride for California. In 1857 he returned with his wife and a son, William, left them with her parents and again headed west. His wife died during the Civil War and Willoughby apparently never returned there or communicated with his son or other members of his family. In 1859 or 1860 he went to the Fraser River and from there to Cariboo, where he was reported to have "cleaned up" more than $100,000 in a few weeks and to have "blowed" it almost as rapidly. He moved o to the Omineca and the Cassiar and was in Wrangell in 1875, running a dance hall. From there he went to Sitka, prospecting in the summers and running a saloon in town during the winters. In the summer of 1880 Willoughby was prospecting in Glacier Bay, where an island is named for him, at the time Juneau and Harris made their strike in SIlver Bow Basin. He reached the new camp in December, 1880. He mined around Gold Creek, engaged briefly in the hotel business and spent most of his time in the later years around Funter Bay. In Juneau he owned a cabin near the present corner of Main and Willoughby Avenue. Known as a practical joker and a free-wheeling story teller and entertainer, Willoughby was also said to have been a pretty fair fiddle player and to have been much in demand at miners' dances. In the 1890's he perpetrated a hoax known as the Silent City which gained nation-wide attention. Apparently he never talked of his early days and even his age was something of a mystery. When he made a will in 1900 his age was given as 65, but when he died at Monod Hospital in Seattle on May 13, 1902, it was reported as 75. Willoughby Avenue - one of Juneau's principal north-south thoroughfares, runs from Main Street to Glacier Avenue. It was named for Richard G. Willoughby, one of the best known and most colorful of the early miners. Willoughby Avenue was constructed on piling in 1913 and 1914, following the line of hightide along the beach. Later it was filled with waste rock from the Alaska Juneau Mine.
Charles Wortman, Douglas Resident, Born in 1852, died on November 25, 1905. He owned the Charles Coffee House in 1898 and was a partner with John Feusi in a hardware store, which he later became sole owner in 1899. He also was the senior partner in the business of Wortman & Jensen, a hardware and furniture store in the early 1900's. He is buried in Douglas.