August Aalto,worked as a blacksmith for the Treadwell Mining Company.
Ruth Coffin Allman, Ruth came to Alaska in the early thirties to join her
aunt Grace Bishop, who had married Judge James Wickersham. Ruth taught music and art in the
Juneau public schools from kindergarten to high school. She was one of the organizers of the
first Southeast Alaska Music Festival in 1934.
Gustaf "Gus" E. Andersson, was a gold miner and an excellent carpenter. He built ten homes in the Juneau Area.
B. M. Behrens, After a trip to the States, he rented space in the Dixon Building on the
west side of Seward Street next to the present B.M. Behrends Bank Building and opened a small
banking business which grew rapidly. In 1892 Behrends purchased the property on the southeast
corner of Third and Seward, built his own store building and moved into it in November. For
some time the bank had quarters in the store building an later it was moved to the adjoining
building on Seward Street. The B.M. Behrends Mercantile Company was incorporated December
1903, and the B.M. Behrends Company on January 20,1904. In 114 a new building was erected for
the bank, across the street from the store on the southwest corner of Third and Seward as a
member of the first Juneau City Council in 1900 and again on the second Council in 1901.
Edward O. "Ned" Decker, opened a store on the site of the present Decker Building
on South Franklin Street in 1887 or 1888. His younger brother, Jay Decker, soon joined him
and they operated as Decker Brothers. In 1891 they advertised: "We have knocked the bottom
out of the old Cassiar prices--Goods delivered free of charge by canoe or wheelbarrow." In
1894 Decker Brothers built a new store on the water side of Front Street at the foot of
Seward. His original building on South Franklin was raised in 1908 and his widow built the
present Decker Building on the site in 1935.
Captain James Carroll, with M.W. Murray, Carrol owned the first wharf at Juneau, near the
present City Float, and for many years the entire tract between Carroll Way and Bulger Way
was known as the Carroll and Murray Wharf Site. About 1895 Carroll bought Murray's interest
in the wharf and donated the stock to the City of Juneau. That same year he built a new wharf
on the site now occupied by Alaska Coastal Airlines.
John W. Frame, purchased the weekly Alaska Record Miner from Rev. George M. Irwin.
Robert Goldstein, early Juneau merchant. He arrived in Juneau in June, 1885, and opened a
store "on the waterfront" on what is now South Franklin Street.
Rev. George M. Irwin, Early in 1901 he purchased the weekly Alaska Record Miner, edited it
for several months, then sold it to John W. Frame.
Dr. Lillian C. Irwin, practiced medicine in Juneau.
Anna Jenson and Ida Foss, owned the Snow White Laundry which was located on South Franklin Street next to the Juneau Cold Storage.
Harry Jordon, operated the Glory Hole Saloon in Douglas.
William Larson, carpenter and boatbuilder, he erected a number of Juneau's early business
R. P. Nelson, came to Juneau in 1887 and the following year engaged in the general
merchandise business a member of the firm of Hammell & Nelson, which in 1889 became
Nelson Brothers. In 1894 Nelson opened his own store on the waterfront and in October, 1896,
was appointed Juneau postmaster. He held this office until August 1900, when he was succeeded
by J.J.C. Barber. For many years Nelson operated a stationary store at the corner of Second
and Seward streets.
John Olds, in 1886 entered the hotel business. His first establishment was the Franklin
Hotel, on the upper side of Front Street, near Main. This was replaced in 1892 by a much
larger Occidental Hotel on the same site.
Mrs. Lena Vanderbilt, one of the principal owners of the Chichagoff Gold Mine.