John J. Calhoun, established a dairy along with is now Calhoun Avenue. They occupied Block
32, now the site of the Governor's House, and part of Block 43, and grazed their cows along
Gold Creek, the south bank of which was sometimes called Calhoun Flats. In 1902 they sold the
dairy and moved to Seattle.
Wick Wagner, operated a dairy in the Evergreen Bowl area - an amphitheater out the southeast
bank of Gold Creek just inside the city limits, reached by stairway from Seventh Street or by road
from Calhoun Avenue. The bowl was the scene of some early placer mining. For many years a part of its
area was occupied by a pond which was used for skating in the winters and was known as Wagner's Pond.
In 1934 the bowl was improved for recreation purposes under the direction of the U.S. Forest Service.
it contains tennis courts, swimming and wading pools and picnic grounds.