Acreage: .23 acres (10,156 sq. ft.)
Number of Burials: 61
Number of Grave Markers: 27
Site Description: The cemetery is generally square in shape. It is located on a level bank adjacent to residential area and overlooking Gastineau Channel and is surrounded by four foot high chain link fence with gate. Area is well maintained by the Eagles Lodge. White wooden grave markers, stone monuments and engraved metal markers flush with the ground. May deteriorated wood markers have been replaced.
Douglas Aerie, No. 117 of the Fraternal Order of Eagles was organized in July of 1901 with a membership of 120. In October of the same year a fancy ball was given to raise money for purchasing, clearing and fencing a cemetery tract. In 1902 the area was enclosed with a white picket fence and a sign with the Eagles emblem was placed above the entrance. In August 1904 the tract was formally dedicated with speeches and songs. Part of the speech by the Grand President, Douglas druggist, Elmer E. Smith read, "For when an Eagle takes his last homeward flight, here he may rest in peace..."
The earliest date identified on a marker was that of a child who died in October 1901. The latest date was that of G. R. "Mex" Isaak who died on June 8, 1988. Records indicate there were 61 burials in the cemetery although 10 of these were moved in 1980 to the Alaskan Memorial Park due to road construction project. The survey identified 27 markers with citations. Additional unidentified markers were placed in later years as the original wooden markers had deteriorated beyond recognition.
The late G. R. "Mex" Isaak dedicated over 25 years to keeping the area clean and the grass mowed. He marked all the unidentified graves with simple white wooden markers. Mr. Isaak's family continues to maintain the cemetery.
Some of the prominent persons buried in the Eagles Cemetery are:
- James Edminson: Born in Scotland in 1879, died in Seattle, Washington on March 14, 1944. He was a miner at the Treadwell and Alaska Juneau Mines. In 1921 he was working at the Treadwell Foundry.
- John Runquist: Born in Finland on February 24, 1876, died on December 9, 1937. He came to Treadwell around 1900 and worked as a miner at the ready Bullion Mine. He also worked at the Alaska Juneau Mine as a drilling contractor and later as machinist. He was popularly known as "the machine doc."
- Lisa Uberti: Born in Piamonte, Italy on February 6, 1879, died on December 28, 1918. She was the first wife of Emil Uberti who was a well known douglas business man. He owned a pool room on Front Street and was manager of the Hunter Hotel. They had three children.
- Charles Wortman: Born in 1852, died on November 25, 1905. He owned the Charles Coffee House in 1898 and was a partner with John Feusi in a hardware store, which he later became sole owner in 1899. He also was the senior partner in the business of Wortman & Jensen, a hardware and furniture sore in the early 1900's.