Search billions of records on

Juneau GenWeb Alaska Capital City

powered by FreeFind


Masons Cemetery
Established 1914

Acreage: .43 acres (18,885 sq. ft.)

Number of Burials: 5

Number of Grave Markers: 1

Site Description: The cemetery is rectangular in shape and is located on a moderate slope overgrown with vegetation. Remnants of an iron fence which surrounded the site is evident.

The Masons were meeting as a club as early as 1898 but they were not under a charter. In 1902 members were taking steps for the organization of a lodge. Shortly thereafter they were recognized as the Free and Accepted Masons Lodge #124. They did not secure a tract of land for the cemetery until 1914.

The Masons Cemetery is adjacent to the Odd Fellows. The site slopes up from a small service road and is heavily overgrown. There is evident that an elaborate metal fence surrounded the entire tract.

Records indicate that only 5 persons were buried in the cemetery. There is only one marker located at the northwest corner of the cemetery. It is at the edge of a gully near the rear of an adjacent house. There are recognizable depressions in the ground that are possibly burial sites.

The only marker in the cemetery is:

  • James Lindsay, born in 1879, died on September 15, 1916. He arrived in Douglas around 1906. He worked at the Treadwell as a millman in 1914. He was the owner of a transfer business at the time of his death. His widow, Margaret, married Edward Cashel Jr. in 1917.



This Page Was Last Updated April 16, 2014

This Site has been visited:

Since May 2006

Visit RootsWeb

Home Juneau GenWeb Project Alaska Natives Button Biographies Button Cemetery Records Button Census Records Button Family Group Sheet Button Help Button, Additional Resources Juneau History Button Land Records Button Military Records Button Misc. Records Button Newspaper Button Obituaries Button Vital Records Button