Russian Orthodox Cemetery
Established ca. 1916
Acreage: .12 acres (5,000 sq. ft.)
Number of Burials: 40
Number of Grave Markers: 14
Site Description: The cemetery is rectangular in shape. It is located on a
gently sloping site overgrown with vegetation. No evidence of a fence was found.
This cemetery was though to be a part of the Catholic Cemetery however two oral history
sources claim that it was a separate cemetery for the Russian Orthodox. There was no specific
establishment date found but the earliest marker was 1916. The majority of the burials were
between 1926 and 1957.
There are approximately 40 burial sites in the cemetery with 14 identifiable markers. Some
of the burial sites have low concrete walls surrounding the plot. Most markers are seriously
Some of the prominent persons buried in the Russian Orthodox Cemetery are:
- Thomas J. Bowman: Born in Douglas on December 17, 1887, died on May 3, 1957. He was a carpenter by trade and was a charter member of the Douglas Camp of the Alaska Native Brotherhood and served as president for nine years. He was a veteran of the Battle of Kiska during World War II. He and his wife Sarah owned a house in the Douglas Native Village on Sandy Beach.
- Thomas Shorty: Born in 1894, died on September 9, 1926. He was a well known fisherman and said to be one of the most honorable and well liked natives on Douglas Island. He was reportedly of the Raven clan. His wife, Susie, was Wooshkeetaan of the Eagle clan.
- Jack Marshall: Born in the Taku River area, died on June 24, 1945. He was a fisherman and a respected member of the Alaska Native Brotherhood.