Acreage: .19 acres (8,252 sq. ft.)
Number of Burials: 9
Number of Grave Markers: 1
Site Description: The cemetery is rectangular in shape and is located on a
level site. The site has been sold in past years as a residential lot and the remaining marker
is in the back corner of the property. There is a pipe fence surrounding the only remaining
In 1902 members of the Servian Benevolent Association secured a plot of ground adjoining
the Eagles Cemetery. In 1908 two miners that belonged to the association were killed in a
Treadwell mine accident. One of them was buried without incident, but there was a riot from
rival union members and they asked Father Orloff not to perform the service on the non-union
miner. The marshall had to be called and finally the miner was buried without further
Researched information indicates as many as 9 person were buried in the cemetery. In 1904
there were five burials listed in the Douglas Island News. Most of the deaths were caused by
accidents in the Treadwell group of mines. Only one marker remains. It is a somewhat elaborate
stone monument with an inscription that has been partially translated into English by the
current property owner.
The land came into private ownership during the 1970's. There is speculation that some of
the graves were removed during road construction projects. The grave marker is located in the
Northwest corner of the back yard of a private residence. The owners of the house have kept
the area clean and have shown an interest in preserving the marker.
The only marker in the cemetery is:
- Obtte Ttoynbajy (translated by Toma Bykoba): Born in the Ukraine with date unknown, died on February 23, 1912. The inscription on the marker translates that he was born in the Ukraine, a Soviet republic in southwestern Russia.