Alaska GenWeb | US GenWeb | Canada GenWeb | World GenWeb
Juneau GenWeb Alaska Capital City
       

powered by FreeFind
 
Home | Alaskan Native | Biographies | Cemeteries | Census | City Vault | History | Immigration | Land | Military | Misc. Records | Newspapers | Obituaries | Resources |Vital Records

  JUNEAU GenWeb SITE  


Volunteer!

We are always looking for volunteers to support this free web site. If you have records you would like to add to this site please email Your Juneau GenWeb Coordinator Misti Adams


  Juneau's First School in Log Cabin Church 1885  
 
The First School - 1885, A log carpenter shop was rented from George F. Nowell and renovated for a classroom. The school opened on June 1, 1885 and had Miss Marion B. Murphy of Oregon as Teacher. School continued in the log cabin school for two years. At this time it was sold to Reverend J. P. White for a Presbyterian Church. It was at this time that the familiar log bell tower was added. Accompanying notes: #1, Miss Murphy, teacher, # 2 & 3, Kennedy boys, # 4 & 5, Billy & Minnie Goldstein, (Bill killed on duck flats in hunting accident, early 1900's)
 
   
  Second School - After establishing the school in the "Log Cabin Carpenter Shop and church" Sheldon Jackson was looking forward to the erection of future schools houses. He selected a block of land in the center of the village (Juneau) and had cheap fence thrown up around it in order to secure it for school purposes. This land was block 22, later the site of the Fifth Street School Building, and still later used by the community Collage until destroyed by fire in 1972. Currently the land is being used as Capital School Park. it sits next to Capital School  
  Indian children's First School  
  The Third School was called the "little white school." This was built in 1893 on the present location of the Governor's Mansion and cost $1,300 complete without outdoor privies. It was maintained by the Federal Government for native students and was removed only in 1912 to make way for the construction of the Governor's Manson.  
  Juneau's Fourth School  
  Fourth School - In 1900 two rooms were added to the school on fifth Street making a total of four rooms used for white children. In the summer of 1901 additional space in Heid's Hall was rented to take care of increased enrollement. this structure stood on the site of the present Shattuck Building.  
  Juneau's Fifth School  
  Fifth School - in the summer of 1902 the roof was removed from the old original school and four rooms added, thus doubling the space to eight rooms. By 1913 the schools were to overcrowded that the high school and grades 7-8 were moved to the second story of the City Hall.  
   
  Sixth School - A combination grade and high school was built in 1917 which was used for school purposes until it burned in 1972. The location was between 5th and 6th, and Seward adn Franklin, actually the same site Sheldon Jackson had originally chosen.  
  Capitol School in Juneau  
  In 1928 a school and gymnasium was built on the land between 5th and 6th, and Franklin and Main Street. This was used as a high school until remodeled and taken over by Capital Elementary School in 1958.  
  Capitol School and Fifth Street School in Juneau  
  Juneau Schools 1928 - View of Fifth Street and Franklin Street neighborhoom, future capitol building site in the forground.  
     
     
     
 
 

 

 

 
 

This Page Was Last Updated April 15, 2014

This Site has been visited:

Since May 2006

Visit RootsWeb

Home Juneau GenWeb Project Alaska Natives Button Biographies Button Cemetery Records Button Census Records Button Family Group Sheet Button Help Button, Additional Resources Juneau History Button Land Records Button Military Records Button Misc. Records Button Newspaper Button Obituaries Button Vital Records Button