Search billions of records on

AK GenWeb Logo
TOIVO AHO Born about 1915 at Knik, moved to Anchorage 1919. Wesley Dunkle taught him to fly. Operated Aho Flying Service out of Anchorage. While ferrying a Stinson through Canada in 1938, died in crash in Yukon Territory.
HARRY O. AREND Harry O. Arend (1903-1966)
Judge Arend was in private practice in Fairbanks. He served as District Attorney in Fairbanks from 1937-1944, as U.S. district attorney in the 4th Judicial Division in Fairbanks from1944-1949. He also served as a trial attorney with the U.S. Justice Department in the anti-trust division, as Superior Court Judge and as an Alaska Supreme Court Justice. He is buried in Angelus Memorial Cemetery, Anchorage.
VIVIAN AYERST Vivian Ayerst (1908-2002)
Mrs. Ayerst came to Alaska in the 1930's as part of a string trio on the Alaska Steamship line between Seward and Seattle. She played the violin in four symphony orchestras: Tacoma, Olympia, Phoenix and Anchorage. For over 30 years she was in the first violin section of the Anchorage Symphony, much of that time serving as Concert Mistress. During her later years she played with the Borealis String Quartet in the Anchorage area. She was a member of the Anchorage Baha`i Center. She typed the entire manuscript for High Endeavors before the days of computers. Buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
HARVEY W. "BARNEY" BARNHILL Born about 1902 in Ohio. Learned to fly in 1920 as a U.S. Navy recruit at the Great Lakes Training Center in Illinois. Arrived in Alaska in 1929. Was part of Carl Ben Eielson's team in Fairbanks transporting personnel & a fortune in furs from the merchant ship Nanuck that was stranded in the ice of the coast of Siberia. He flew in the search for the Eielson wreck after his fatal crash in the winter of 1929/30. Barney & Linious "Mac" McGee purchased a three-seat Stinson in 1931 & founded Barnhill & McGee Airways which became McGee Airways after they dissolved their partnership in about 1932. Died in automobile accident near Spokane, WA in the late 1950's.
LUCIEN "FRANK" BARR Born August 22, 1903 Lawrence County, Colorado, came to Alaska 1932. Varied career from southeastern Alaska to the Interior to the Yukon. Barr Air Transport was his one-man, one-plane company. Best known on Gillam's mail run from Fairbanks to Bethel, also flew bush for Alaska Airlines. Territorial Senator, member Alaska Constitutional Convention, US Marshall. Retired to Grants Pass, Oregon & died there in April 1983.
JOE BARROWS Joe & Harry Blunt were partners in Pacific Alaska Airways when they expanded the airline from British Columbia to Alaska. Joe known for mail runs Fairbanks to Bethel, Fairbanks to Nome. Went on to fly for Pan American Airways. Retired in San Francisco area.
LARRY ALLAN BECK Larry Allan Beck (1935-1990)
Mr. Beck was a performer who worked to promote tourism to the 49th state. That work led to his appointment by Governor Keith Miller in 1972 as "Alaska's Ambassador of Good Will." He was not only a performer of the first rank but was also an authority on Alaska, the North and its gold rush history. He had a career of writing, reciting, singing, recording and traveling the world over. He wrote 6 books of poetry, recorded eight audiotapes and completed over 10 documentary films on various historical interests of Alaska. He was also in the first graduating class for West Anchorage High School. He is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
ELMER A. "A.A." BENNETT Born about 1888 in Oregon. Came to Alaska in the mid-1920's. Believed to be the
first pilot to land on Kuskokwim River ice at Bethel. Was flying partner of Bennett-Rodebaugh Company in Fairbanks. Left territory for Idaho in 1930. Later lived in Las Vegas, Nevada.
HARRY BLUNT Called the "Bristol Bay Sea Hawk" by the "Glacier Priest" Father Hubbard. Harry & Joe Barrows were partners in Pacific International Airways when they expanded from British Columbia to Alaska. On June 2, 1931 Harry, with co-pilot Al Monson made the first flight down the Alaska Peninsula past Kodiak Island when they flew Father Hubbard in a float plane to Chignik. In 1932 Pan American Airways purchased Pacific International and Alaska Airways forming Pacific Alaska Airways. Harry flew for Pacific Alaska Airways stationed in Anchorage.
VERNON BOOKWALTER Born November 18, 1892 in Oregon. Was a pilot & mechanic for Tex Rankin in Portland, Oregon in 1925. Made the first contract Air Mail flight in the northwest in 1926 flying from Vancouver, WA to Los Angeles in his TravelAir. In 1934 purchased a Tri-motor Ford from Grand Canyon Airlines of Arizona & flew to Alaska to organize and operate White Pass Airways out of Skagway. He and wife Esther also operated a gold mine near Nome. Was honored by United Airlines for being first pilot to fly mail on the Seattle - San Francisco run. Died November 19, 1975 at Nome, Alaska.
EDWARD "LONNIE" BRENNAN Born December 28, 1898. Became a commercial pilot in 1920, flew out of Vancouver, Bremerton & Seattle, WA before coming to Alaska to fly for Wien. In 1939 established Lon Brennan Flying Service out of Manley Hot Springs. Retired in 1948, died May 1967 at Stanwood, Washington.
HUGH BREWSTER First "temporary" CAA Department of Commerce aircraft inspector in Alaska. Was Marine pilot in WW II. Died in an auto accident in California in the 1950's
CHET BROWNE From Colorado. Flew in the Nome, Fairbanks and Anchorage areas. Purchased a Tri-motor Ford and formed Arctic Airways. Perhaps most famous for finding a spot in Southeast Alaska to land the Tri-motor Ford when the weather turned bad on an early trip to Seattle. Chet taught Archie Ferguson to fly.
NATHAN C. "NAT" BROWNE Born March 31, 1895. Flew in South America. In about 1932 attempted to fly from Seattle to Tokyo, but the aircraft came apart during refueling attempt and he parachuted to safety. Came to Alaska in early 1930's with a Faden, one of the earliest all-metal planes, which he demolished in a wreck near Valdez. Formed Nat Browne Flying Service out of Valdez, then Fairbanks & Anchorage, then out of Bethel for many years. Flew mail routes to Lower Kuskowim & Yukon villages and to Goodnews Bay. Closed air service in 1950 after receiving contract to map DEW line radar sites. Moved to South 48 in mid-1950's. Died in August 1979 at Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Although Dawson Charlie was not really an Alaskan, his influence over Alaskan history earns him a place here. Per Wikipedia: ca. 1860s – 26 December 1908) was a Canadian Tagish/Tlingit First Nation person and one of the co-discoverers of gold that led to the Klondike Gold Rush located in the Yukon territory of Northwest Canada. He was the nephew of Skookum Jim Mason and accompanied him on his search for his aunt Kate Carmack. He staked one of the first three claims in the Klondike, along with his uncle and George Carmack. Kate Carmack was his aunt. Storyteller Angela Sidney was a niece.[1]

He died in Carcross, Yukon when he fell off the White Pass railway bridge.

JOSEPH E. "JOE" CROSSON Born June 29, 1903 at Minneapolis, Kansas. He and his sister, Marvel (1904-1939), barnstormed together before he accepted an offer from Fairbanks Aircraft Co., in the mid-1920's. Joe & Ben Eielson were pilots on the 1928 Wilkins - Hearst Antarctic Expedition & was one of the pilots who found site of Eielson crash in Siberia in 1930. Flew bodies of Will Rogers and Wiley Post out of Barrow in 1935. In 1939 Joe was flying the Pan Am Clipper out of San Francisco. Later headed Pacific Alaska Airways, the Pan American Subsidiary. Joe died suddenly in Seattle in 1949 at age 45. He was inducted into the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame in 2002.
JEFFERSON COLUMBUS DAVIS Commander, Military District of Alaska, Jefferson Columbus Davis, born 2 March 1827, Clark County, Indiana, was the first of eight children born to William Davis, Jr. (1800-1879) and Mary Drummond (1801-1881). He grew up in the Charleston area of Clark County on his father's farm. Around 1860 he married Marietta Woodson Athon of Indianapolis, a daughter of Dr. James S. Athon (1811-1875). They had no children, but adopted and raised a niece, Ida Davis.

Davis was a career officer in the United States Army (1848-1879). His ancestors were among the early settlers of Kentucky and Southern Indiana at the falls of the Ohio, and had been celebrated as Indian fighters. He was educated at the county academy and enlisted in the 3rd Indiana regiment recruited by Colonel Lane for the Mexican war.

For his performance Buena Vista, at the age of 20, Davis was given a direct commission as 2d lieutenant in the 1st artillery which he received June 17, 1848. He was promoted 1st lieutenant in 1852. In 1858 he was serving with the 1st U.S. artillery in Fort Moultrie, Charleston, South Carolina, an officer under Major Anderson. On April 12, 1861, Davis was stationed at Fort Sumter, Charleston, South Carolina, when the Confederates started their 36-hour bombardment. In recognition of his bravery during this trying ordeal he was promoted to captain and allowed leave of absence to recruit the 22d Indiana Volunteers, which he commanded as colonel.

On August 17, the 22nd Indiana was sent to seek out the Confederates in the interior of Missouri. Davis was assigned to the department of the Missouri as acting brigadier-general and for his action at Milford, Missouri, December 18, 1861, was promoted brigadier-general of volunteers. He commanded a division and contributed heavily toward a Union victory at the battle of Pea Ridge, March 8, 1862, and took part in the battle of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, and the siege of Corinth. After the evacuation of that place by the Confederates, May 29, he was assigned to the department of the Tennessee.

During this campaign he had received, as he alleged, harsh treatment from Major General William Nelson, his superior officer. It was in September 1862 that Davis's career passed a crisis point. He and his superior officer, William "Bull" Nelson, were at the Galt House hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, exchanging insults. The provoked Davis, at five feet, nine inches and 125 pounds, blatantly shot and instantly killed ("in cold blood") the six-foot-four, 300-pound Nelson. An arrest followed but Davis was never tried for this offense as politically powerful Governor Oliver P. Morton of Indiana quickly came to his defense.

General Davis was soon after assigned to duty in Covington, Kentucky. He commanded his division forming a part of the 20th army corps, at the battle of Stone's River, (Murfreesboro), Tennessee on December 31, 1862, when he greatly distinguished himself. General Rosecrans recommended him for promotion to the rank of major-general. He was exemplary at Chickamauga, Georgia, in September 1863. During the Atlanta campaign, Davis especially distinguished himself in the capture of Rome, Georgia, and in his successful attack at the battle of Jonesborough. He commanded the Fourteenth Corps in the march to the sea and the Carolinas campaign.

Davis was never received the second star of a major general although he received five brevet commissions. At the close of the war he was brevetted major-general of volunteers. on July 23, 1866, he was promoted colonel of the 23d U.S. infantry and transferred to the Pacific Northwest. From September 1867 to July 1870, Davis was the first commander of the military district of Alaska. The Alaskan assignment was not a choice one.

After the murder of General Edward Richard Sprigg Canby by the Modoc Indians in 1873 Davis succeeded to the command of the department and forced the tribe to surrender. Brevet Major General Davis died of pneumonia in Chicago, Illinois, November 30, 1879. He was buried in Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, Indiana.

ROY SHELTON DICKSON Born February 10, 1901 at Van Zandt County, Texas. Learned to fly at Tex Rankin's Flying School in Vancouver, WA. Brought a B-1 Ryan to Alaska in March 1934. Flew for Alaska Exploration & Mining Co., McGee Airways, Woodley Airways, Star Air Lines, and founded Bering Sea Airways. Read his fascinating story in his new book
JAMES M. "JIM" DODSON Born Philadelphia, PA January 11, 1902. Came to Alaska in 1927 to be commercial fisherman. Learned to fly in Naval Reserve in Florida. Served on active duty on carriers Saratoga & Lexington. Came back to Alaska to fly for Pioneer Airways out of Ketchikan. Came to Anchorage in early 1930s and flew from Merrill Field to Kuskokwim and Bristol Bay for McGee Airways and Bowman Airways. Went to Fairbanks in 935 to fly for Noel Wien. In 1936 formed Jim Dodson Air Service and in 1947 joined with four other outfits to form Northern Consolidated Airlines. Died in Anchorage in December 1969.
FRANK G. DORBANDT Born 1893 in Detroit, MI. Came to Alaska in 1929 to join Russ Merrill as second pilot for Anchorage Air Transport. Flew for Eielson's company, Alaska Airways & in 1929 was flying a Stinson on same expedition where Eielson lost his life. In 1930 formed Dorbandt-Cope with Lon Cope selling it to Pacific International Airways in 1931. Flew for PIA based in Anchorage, and did a lot of flying in the Valley of the Ten Thousand Smokes area. Flew mercy flights to the North Coast of Siberia in 1930 & 1931. In 1938 flew a Tri-motor Ford from Los Angeles to Anchorage for Ptamigan Airways. Was an excellent pilot with a reputation as a daredevil, often in trouble with the CAA. Died in 1935 of pneumonia in Fairbanks, buried in Anchorage.
ED DORRANCE Arrived Cordova early-1930s. Later moved to Copper Center & with Al Lyle started Lyle and Dorrance Airways with service to 40 Mile Country, Nabesna and Copper River Valley. Died in airplane crash in 40 Mile Country in 1937. Buried in Dawson, Yukon Territory.
WESLEY EARL DUNKLE Born Clarendon, PA 1887, graduated Yale University 1908. A mining engineer he came to Alaska in August 1910 to work in the Beatson Mine in Prince William Sound. Came to Anchorage in 1930. Operated Lucky Shot mine in mountains near Willow. Learned to fly with Steve Mills in Seattle. Operated the first ambulance plane which had room for a stretcher and a nurse. He taught Toivo Aho to fly. Was one of the original investors who helped to start Star Air Service and was President from 1932 - 1938. He was the main promoter of building a canal to connect Lake Spenard & Lake Hood to provide a better sea plane base for Anchorage. Went back to mining & died at Golden Zone Gold camp in 1957, buried in Anchorage.
BEN EASLEY Flew Curtiss Robin out of Candle in mid-1930's. Died in aircraft accident in Norton Sound, between Kotzebue and Deering in mid-1930's.
ANSCEL ECKMANN Made first non-stop flight between Seattle & Juneau in 1929 in Wasp-powered Lockheed Vega on floats for Alaska Washington Airways. Flight took 9 hours 35 minutes. Jack Halloran was mechanic on the flight & R. E. "Bob" Ellis was navigator. Continued to fly in Southeastern Alaska.
CARL BENJAMIN EIELSON Born at Hatton, North Dakota in 1897. The second most famous American aviation pioneer after Charles Lindbergh. Arrived in Fairbanks in 1922 as a school teacher. In 1923 pioneered air mail service in Alaska flying twice monthly mail from Fairbanks to McGrath in an open cockpit DeHavilland. In September 1928 Eielson & Joe Crosson were pilots on the Wilkins -Hearst Antarctic Expedition. Also in 1928 Eielson received the Distinguished Flying Cross for flying Sir Hubert Wilkins from Point Barrow to Spitzbergen, Norway in a Lockheed Vega, the first flight across the North Pole. Purchased Anchorage Air Transport in 1929 and changed the name to Alaska Airways. Obtained a contract to fly 15 stranded passengers & six tons of furs from the trading ship Nanuck which was stranded in the ice off Siberia. Carl and his mechanic Earl Borland were killed in their Hamilton Metalplane in Siberia November 9, 1929 on their second flight to the ship. He was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 1985, & the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame in 2003.
JACK ELLIOT Learned to fly in Oakland, CA before 1930; came to McGrath in 1934 to work for the game warden, then to Anchorage as a pilot for Star Air Service. Flew Bellancas, Stinsons, Ford
Trimotors out of Anchorage. Left Alaska in 1943 and was chief pilot for Consolidated Vultee Aircraft in San Diego, CA. Last flew in Alaska in 1947 on Kenai Peninsula on a bear hunt.
ROBERT E. "BOB" ELLIS Born St. Albans, VT January 20, 1903. At age 16 attended US Naval Academy where he received navigation & flight training. In 1929 Anscel Eckmann asked him to plot a course for the Alaska Washington Airways record breaking nonstop flight of a Lockheed Vega from Seattle to Juneau. Ellis went along to begin his long aviation career in Alaska. He flew all over Alaska with a variety of airlines. In 1936 he purchased a Waco float plane & established Ellis Air Transport in Ketchikan, later renamed Ellis Air Lines which merged with Alaska Coastal Airlines in 1965 to become Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines, which became part of Alaska Airlines in 1968. Was a Senator in the Alaska Territorial Legislature 1955 - 1958. Bob died in May 9, 1994 at Ketchikan. In 2004 he was inducted into the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame.
DON EMMONS Came to Juneau in mid-1930's as pilot for Clarence Walter's Alaska School of Aeronautics. Then flew for Hans Mirow in Nome. Later for Star Air Service in Fairbanks and Point Barrow. Died in pulp mill accident in Southeastern in 1959.
ED FAGEROS Flew briefly for McGee Airways, then for Noel Wien in Fairbanks. Died in aircraft crash in McGrath.
ARCHIE R. FERGUSON "Christ, I like to fly," sums up this colorful character of Northern Aviation. Born January 24, 1895 in Ohio, arrived in Alaska in 1917. Ferguson family hired Chet Browne from Colorado in the 1920's to teach Archie to fly. Once described as the craziest pilot in Alaska. He owned a restaurant in Kotzebue and operated his own flying service out of Kotzebue for many years. Died of natural causes in Mexico in February 1967.
EDWARD J. FORTIER Edward J. Fortier (1917-2001)
Mr. Fortier was stationed in Ketchikan in 1942 with the U.S. Army. He served in the Counter-Intelligence Corps and was Alaska's last living spy to have served in Alaska during WWII. Edward Fortier, also known as "Fast Eddie" or "Champy," was one of Alaska's leading journalists and editors. During his 58 years in Alaska, Mr. Fortier's career ranged from being the Director of Territorial Civil Defense to Hospital Administrator at Providence Hospital. He served on the first Alaska Big Game Guide Board. Professionally, his passion was writing and editing. He was executive editor of Alaska Magazine from 1966-1976 and author of the book One Survived. He was a former correspondent for the National Observer and reporter for the Anchorage Times between 1946 and 1948. During the same period of time, he produced and edited the weekly tabloid, "The 49th Star." He is buried in Valley Memorial Park, Palmer AK.
HAROLD GILLAM Charles Harold Gillam was born 1903 Kankakee, Illinois and raised in Nebraska. In 1923 came to Cordova & Chitina as a "cat skinner" for the Alaska Road Commission, then Bennett-Rodebaugh Airplane Transport Co. in Fairbanks. Learned to fly in Fairbanks in 1929 & with only 40 hrs training & no license, flew a Stearman across Alaska in the search for the Eielson crash & was the pilot who spotted the wreckage. In 1929 he was engaged to Joe Crosson's sister Marvel who was killed during the Cleveland Air Derby. Gillam flew a mail route from Fairbanks to Bethel. In 1931 he left Fairbanks & founded Aircraft Charter Co. in Cordova & Copper Center. In about 1932 he founded Gillam Airways. He died following a Jan 5, 1943 crash in a Lockheed Electra 10B near Ketchikan on a flight from Seattle to Anchorage with 5 passengers. All survived the original crash; one died from injuries, & Harold froze to death trying to walk out for help. The remaining 4 passengers were rescued by Coast Guard Cutter McLane after 33 days. Harold is buried in Fairbanks.
DON GLASS Born San Ramon, CA, came to Alaska in 1934 with Frank Dorbandt as co-pilot in first Ford Tri-motor in the Territory. They founded Ptarmigan Airlines which lasted only a short time. Don flew for McGee, Star and in 1938 went with Woodley Airways. In 1943 died in a crash in Gastineau Channel on a scheduled flight from Juneau to Anchorage in a Woodley Tri-motor Stinson A.
DON H. GOODMAN Born April 6, 1909 in Modoc County, CA, learned to fly with Al Horning at Hancock School of Aviation, Santa Maria, CA; came to Alaska with Horning in 1934. Worked for McGee Airways on mail runs from Anchorage down the Kuskokwim & Yukon Delta. In 1937 Goodman and Oscar Winchell formed Alaska Interior Airlines in McGrath & Anchorage which only lasted three months, selling to Star Air Service when Mac McGee returned to Star management. In 1937 Don enlisted investors & acquired Star Air Service renaming it Star Air Lines. He was active in Star management in efforts to expand to routes from Alaska to the States and was prominent in development of Alaska Star Airways during war years. Joined the Royal Air Force Ferry Command, then the Naval Air Transport. Quit the aviation business to become a contractor after World War II. Retired to Freemont, CA & celebrated his 100th birthday on April 6, 2009.
WILLIAM R. "BILL" GRAHAM Born about 1898 in Washington. Learned to fly in the U.S. Air Service at Arcadia, Florida. Was a bush pilot in Nome in the very early days of aviation. After leaving Alaska was for a period the personal pilot for movie star Wallace Beery.
CHARLES "SLIM" GROPSIS Pilot for Yukon Treadwell Mining Company of Juneau in early 1930's. Flew Bellanca float planes. Slim & his passenger died in October 1936 in the crash of a Bellanca that once belonged to actor Wallace Beery. They crashed in British Columbia on a flight between Seattle and Juneau.
MURRAY HALL Aircraft inspector, Department of Commerce CAA came to Alaska in 1934 as the permanently assigned CAA inspector replacing Hugh Brewster who had been temporarily assigned. He was inspector at the time of Post-Rogers crash in 1035.
WALTER HALL Early parachute jumper and pilot. Came to Alaska and worked for Bob Reeve out of Valdez. Then moved to Fairbanks and flew for old Pacific Alaska Airways to Bethel and Nome. Also flew briefly for Hans Mirow. Left Alaska with Pan American to fly international routes to Central and South America. Died in South America of natural causes.
DICK HAWLEY Flew Curtiss Robin in Fairbanks and Chicken Creek area; later went with Pacific Alaska Airways, then Pan American Captain in Seattle.
JACK HERMAN Flew for Ferguson Airways in Ketchikan & Wien in Fairbanks and Nome. Was a partner in Lavery Airways with Bill Lavery in Fairbanks. They had a monocoupe and an open cockpit Standard. Known by some as "Smiling Jack".
ART HINES Partner with Percy Hubbard in Fairbanks. Died in airplane accident while returning from Dawson. Burned plane was found years later.
ALEX HOLDEN Born Victoria, BC; Learned to fly with the RCAF during WW I. First flew in Alaska out of Fairbanks on the mail run Nenana - Bethel. Also flew for Pacific International Airways out of Anchorage. In 1936 Alex partnered with James V. Davis starting a new service in Southeast Alaska, Marine Airways. Their first plane was a Bellanca Pacemaker dubbed "Shakey Jake." In 1940 Marine Airways merged with Shell Simmons' Alaska Air Transport to form Alaska Coastal Airlines, which merged with Ellis Airlines in 1965 to become Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines which became a part ofAlaska Airlines in 1968.
PHIL R. HOLDSWORTH Phil R. Holdsworth (1910-2001)
Mr. Holdsworth came to Alaska in 1913. He and his wife Peggie were married in Fairbanks in 1942. He became mill Superintendent of Mindanao Mines in Surigao. In 1942 Gen. Douglas MacArthur ordered our Philippine troops to surrender. Mr. Holdsworth resigned his commission as a second lieutenant and with his wife Peggie conducted guerilla activities with the locals against the Japanese. They were captured on July 1, 1942 and were held prisoners until February 3, 1945. In 1952 Mr. Holdsworth assumed the position of Commissioner of Mines for the state of Alaska and with statehood in 1959, Phil assumed the position of Commissioner of Natural Resources where he was largely responsible for the selection of Prudhoe Bay for state lands. Later, he was president of the state Chamber of Commerce, Alaska State Elks and the Alaska Miner's Association. He is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
ROY J. HOLM Born Dec 17, 1913 Boise, ID. Learned to fly in 1935 at St. Louis, MO. Came to Anchorage in the summer of 1937 delivering the first Taylor Cub and giving flying lessons. He had a mechanic's license as well as a pilot's license. He worked for Ray Petersen then Woodley Airways. In 1941 Roy went with Pan American flying in Alaska, then flying the Pan American Clipper out of San Francisco. Retired to Seattle area as Chief Pilot for Pan American. Died of natural causes March 21, 2000 at Enumclaw, Washington.
ALLEN E. "AL" HORNING Born about 1908 in Washington. Learned to fly in Anchorage in early 1930s. Flew for McGee Airways and Star Air Service until joining CAA in Flight Section when first established in Alaska. Later was Airways Facilities Division Chief with FAA in Los Angeles.
PERCY M. HUBBARD Born about 1899 in Wisconsin. A Fairbanks businessman who spent much money, time and effort in developing aviation in the Interior. Pilot and operator of numerous air services including Service Airways of Fairbanks. After Alaska lived in Bellevue, Washington.
During his lifetime, the Prebysterian minister reportedly traveled more than a million miles to spread the Christian gospel, founding churches and missions nationwide along the way. But he spent the later part of his life exploring the vast territory that would later become Alaska. In 1885, the U.S. government appointed him the region's first-ever education superintendent, tasking him with setting up free public schools for Native American, Eskimo, and white children. Jackson also introduced reindeer to the area, importing the animals from Siberia in 1892 as an alternative meat source (cattle and other animals cannot survive the frigid winters) amid fears of famine.

JACK JEFFORD Born in Nebraska September 6, 1910. Got his private pilots license in 1931 & flew in Nebraska before coming to Alaska. He first flew for Mirow Air Service, then joined CAA when first established a flight division & was Chief Pilot for the Alaska Region from 1940-1972. First to fly instruments over new range routes. After retiring in 1972 he & his pilot wife Ruth Martin Jefford opened Valley Air Transport, a charter operation out of Merrill Field in Anchorage. Jack died at his home in Wasilla August 12, 1979
JAMES JORGEN JOHNSON James Jorgen Johnson (1919-1958)
Mr. Johnson, known as "The Screaming Swede," was raised in the Alaska Peninsula - Aleutian Island - Kodiak area. As Captain of BSP511 in the U. S. Army, Jimmy rescued 400 passengers and crew members aboard the Steamship "Yukon" which ran aground east of Seward in 1946 during a blinding snowstorm. For his act of heroism, Jimmy received medal at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. After leaving the military, Jimmy was a fisherman around Cook Inlet. He died as he had lived, wild, woolly and one superior Alaskan boatman. He is buried in Angelus Memorial Cemetery, Anchorage.
JERRY JONES Was a Pacific Alaska Airways pilot in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Later reassigned by
Pan American Airways to South America - Miami route. Retired to Miami, FL after outstanding record with Pan Am.
ROY F. JONES Born October 16, 1893 in Washington. Was a US Army pilot in WW I. In July 1922
flew a four-place Curtiss MF Flying Boat named the Northbird with an Hispano-Suiza 180hp engine from Seattle to Ketchikan & founded Northbird Aviation Co. the first commercial aviation company in Alaska. Used carrier pigeons as a means of communication from remote locations. He was a partner in Ketchikan's Pioneer Airways in 1930. Later he flew in Alaska during WWII as an Air Force officer, stationed for awhile at Ladd Field, Fairbanks. He retired as a Major in the Air Force Reserves. Died Feb 17, 1974 in Vancouver, Washington.
HERMAN "HERM" JOSLYN Born April 2, 1905. Flew for Wien and Pollack Air Service in early 1930's. Went with Pacific Alaska Airways in early 1940's. Flew Lockheed Electras on early route Fairbanks - Juneau. Retired as a Pan Am Captain to Seattle area. Died in Seattle in November 1969.
Joseph Juneau (1833 or 1836–1899) was a miner and prospector from Canada who was born in the Quebec town of Saint-Paul-l'Ermite (later renamed Le Gardeur and now incorporated into the city of Repentigny) to François Xavier Juneau dit Latulippe and Marguerite Thiffault Juneau. He is best known for co-founding, with Richard Harris, the city of Juneau, Alaska, United States. The first major gold discovery in Juneau or Douglas Island (across from Juneau) was circa 1880. It has been the political capital of Alaska since 1906.

His Native American guide in southeastern Alaska was Chief Kowee. Kowee is credited with exploring much of the Juneau area. Richard and Joe were sent with Kowee by George Pilz, an entrepreneur and mining engineer from Sitka. Richard and Joe traded with the natives much of their grubstake for hoochinoo. When they returned to Pilz empty-handed, he promptly sent them back to the Juneau area. There, Kowee took them beyond Gold Creek (which today flows beside the city's United States Federal Building[1]) to Silver Bow Basin. Today, a creek on Douglas Island is named Kowee Creek.

After the discovery of gold in Juneau, Richard and Joe loaded approximately 1,000 pounds of gold ore back to Sitka.

The town was originally called Harrisburg or Harrisburgh, and then Rockwell. Miners often called it "'Rockwell' also known as 'Harrisburg'" in their mining records. There was also a proposal to name the town Pilzburg for Pilz. It did not take up its current name until a miners' meeting on December 14, 1881. The name Juneau received 47 of the 72 votes cast while Harrisburg received 21 votes and Rockwell only 4.[1] Joe Juneau reportedly bought drinks for fellow miners to name the city in his honor.[2]

Joe Juneau traveled to Dawson City, Yukon during the Klondike Gold Rush of the 1890s. He usually spent gold as fast as he got it but at the end of his life he owned a small restaurant in Dawson. Juneau died of pneumonia in March, 1899 in Dawson. His body was brought back to the town that bears his name and was buried in the city's Evergreen Cemetery on August 16, 1903.

His cousin Solomon Juneau founded the city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Jewel Kilcher, better known simply as "Jewel," grew up in Homer, Alaska, a small town of less than 6,000 residents. The home she shared with her father lacked indoor plumbing and, to make ends meet, the pair often sang in local bars. Reportedly, this is how she learned to yodel. After learning to play the guitar and sing, she moved to San Diego to pursue a music career, living in a van while she toured the country playing small gigs. Her 1995 debut album Pieces of You went platinum twelve times, earning her 3 Grammy nominations. The album's hit track "Who Will Save Your Soul?" was one of the first songs she ever wrote.
KIMBALL Decema Kimball-Andresen-Slawson ( 1906 - 2002)
Decema was born in Seward, Alaska. She arrived in Anchorage in 1915 at the young age of 9. Her parents, Irving and Della Kimball, bought the property for Kimball's Dry Goods at Fifth Avenue and E Street in the first town site auction of that same year. It still stands on what is currently the northwest corner of what is now known as Town Square. She continued to own and operate this business after her mother's death in 1958 until about 1998. Her business is the oldest continuously operating business in Anchorage. Presently, it is the only private land and structure on a square block of city park. Decema was also a pilot and a hunter who enjoyed her state. She is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
MAURICE KING James Maurice "Maury" King born Dec 17, 1900, learned to fly in Portland, OR. Came to Alaska as a pilot for Archie Ferguson in Kotezebue in mid-1930s & also flew for Wien and Alaska Airlines. Flew a Norseman for the Arctic Institute of North America, and was lost with two passengers on a flight in St. Elias Range from the Institutes research station on Seward Glacier in Canada to a base camp at Yakutak on July 27, 1951. Both American & Canadian search efforts failed to ever locate a wreckage.
MERRITT D. "KIRK" KIRKPATRICK Born 1902 in Cowley County, Kansas, came to Alaska as pilot-mechanic for Harold Gillam in early 1930's. Founded Cordova Flying Service in 1934 with a group of businessmen and was first president & often the only pilot. Cordova Flying Service pre-dated Cordova Airlines. He flew a Bird biplane and an open cockpit Stearman. Operated Bellancas on floats, wheels and skis from Cordova to McCarthey, Chitina, Katalla and Yakataga. Died in aircraft accident near Cordova on April 10, 1939.
BILL KNOX Pilot for Pacific Alaska Airways in early 1930's. Flew Fairbanks - Nome and Fairbanks - Bethel mail routes. Continued flying with Pan Am eventually out of New York.
MAX N. LALANDE Max N. LaLande.(1912-1999)
Max was born to be a baker and in 1942 he brought his skill to Alaska. He became a contractor to the military during WWII and kept our troops sustained with baked goods. Later, in Kodiak, he started several businesses which culminated in Kodiak Bakery. Max moved to Anchorage in 1958 and ran Tudor Market until he retired. After his retirement, the Anchorage Pioneer's Home was the beneficiary of his white thumb for the next 19 years. He loved to tell how he obtained vintage 1880 sourdough from Sourdough Ed in the Aleutians in 1942 and continued to use it for many years thereafter. He is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
WILLIAM L. "BILL" LAVERY Born March 16, 1914 in Fairbanks and raised in Fairbanks. At age 15 went to California to learn to fly. Was flight mechanic on rescue of Russians stranded in Arctic Ocean & was decorated with the Order of Lenin by the Russian government. With funds from his award, at age 19 started Lavery Airways and established first Fairbanks - Anchorage route. Lavery Airways became part of Alaska Airlines in 1942. Later flew for Wien in Fairbanks. After retiring as a pilot in 1970 was manager of Fairbanks International Airport from 1973 - 1975. Died in Fairbanks at age 69 in December 1983.
HERMAN LEARDAHL Born February 26, 1906. Came to Alaska to fly for his brother, Ed Leardahl, in Fairbanks in mid-1930's. Then flew for Wien Airlines out of Fairbanks. During WW II began flying for Northwest Airlines, from which he retired to Fox Island, Washington. He died in January 1983 at Desert Hot Springs, California.
BERT LIEN Came to Alaska to fly for Harold Gillam. Flew out of Fairbanks on weather contract. Later flew mail Fairbanks - Bethel. Joined Pacific Alaska Airways, which became Pan American. Flew 707's on the San Francisco - Honolulu run. Died in 1966 in San Francisco.
JOHN H. "JOHNNY" LITTLEY Born August 22, 1903. Partnered with Ray Petersen in 1935 in founding Bethel Airways which closed in 1936 after both its planes crashed. Flew Fairchild 71's and Travelair 6000's. Moved to States in mid-1940's & died Jan 8, 2004 in Vancouver, WA at age 100.
AL LYLE Came to Alaska in mid-1930's. Flew out of Copper Center and Valdez and into the 40 Mile Country. Formed Lyle and Dorrance Airways with Ed Dorrance & after Dorrance was killed in a plane crash in 1937 founded Lyle Airways out of Gakona, Alaska. Left Alaska early 1940's & later returned to live in Copper Center.
JOHN LYNN Arrived in Alaska in mid-1930's. Flew out of Fairbanks and Nome with Northern Air
Transport and continued with Wien when Noel Wien took over that company and changed the name to Wien Airlines. Flew commercially as a pilot on F-27's for Northern Consolidated Airlines.
GORDON MACKENZIE Born August 5, 1904. World War I RAF pilot. Barnstormed Seattle area early 1920's. Pilot for Alaska Washington Airways when it was started. Came to Anchorage in Mid-1930's. Was a partner with Al Jones & John Amundsen in 1937 opening Anchorage Airways flying a Fairchild 17 & a Fairchild 42. The venture only lassted one yeara. Flew for McGee Airways, Star Air Service, Woodley Airways, Mirow and Alaska Airlines. Flew actively out of Anchorage until late 1950's. Joined FAA in 1958. Worked until his death in 1963, in Anchorage, of natural causes.
At 16, Mala became the first Native American cinema star from Alaska when he appeared in a 1921 film about the largely unexplored territory (He also worked as a cameraman on the film, a skill that helped him land his first job in Hollywood). Mala would eventually become the state's most prolific thespian, appearing in more than 25 films, including Eskimo/Mala the Magnificent (1933), which won the Academy's first editing Oscar, The Last of the Pagans (1935), a film written by Mia Farrow's father, and Cecil B. DeMille's Union Pacific (1939). In 1943, he worked on the set of Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt as a cinematographer and died nine years later in Hollywood, at the age of 46.

In August 1896, Mason — better known among fellow members of the Tagish tribe as "Keish" — was traveling with his family along a small tributary of the Yukon River when he found several gold nuggets (Given the racism of the time, though, credit for the discovery went to Mason's white brother-in-law George Tarmack). Misleading attribution aside, when the news reached the United States, thousands of hopeful prospectors flocked to the region, including Jack London, whose experience there inspired him to write The Call of the Wild and White Fang.

AMANDA McFARLAND Amanda McFarland and her sponsor the Rev. Dr. Sheldon Jackson first stepped ashore at the village of Fort Wrangel on August 10, 1877, just two days before Amanda’s 45th birthday. If she had not been a mature Christian she probably would have gotten right on the next boat south and gone back to Portland. She found that she would be the lone white woman in a lawless goldrush town. Fort Wrangel was recently closed and the only representative of law and order was a commissioner of customs. Moreover, the only available building was an empty dance hall which would be reclaimed when the miners came down the Stikine River from the Cassiar mines in October. For more than a year she served as the minister to the small settlement.

Amanda soon learned that she would have to contend with the evils of slavery and witchcraft. Rev. S. Hall Young wrote that Fort Wrangel had forty Indian slaves in 1878 and about 100 persons were killed as witches that year. She quickly won the trust of the native Alaskans, and the Indians turned to her for advice on spiritual, legal, and medical matters. She once presided over an Indian constitutional convention.

Amanda was undaunted, so Sheldon Jackson arranged for the dance hall, gave her ten dollars, and hurried back to the East Coast to plead for funds for the Alaska mission. It was not in the budget and he had to sell the idea to the mission board. Some were horrified that he had left a lone woman in such a hostile environment.

Because of a jurisdictional dispute, Amanda did not receive a dollar of salary for a whole year. She stayed in Fort Wrangel because her heart had gone out to a small band of forty Christian Indians who had welcomed her with great joy as their teacher and spiritual leader. They had been converted by a young Canadian Indian, Philip McKay, who with friends had a government contract to cut wood for Fort Fort Wrangel. Philip’s Indian name was “Clah.” His interpreter was Mrs. Sarah Dickinson, an Indian woman who had married a white man. When the fort closed, Philip, though barely literate and ill with tuberculosis, stayed on to shepherd the little flock.

Amanda opened her school in the dance hall with about thirty pupils, with the Indian woman as interpreter. The number soon grew to 94. Her only supplies were four Bibles, four hymnals, three primers, thirteen first readers and a wall chart. Amanda wrote to Sheldon Jackson on December 10, 1877:

I never loved a school so well. Today I had 74 Indians crowded into that little room, but there was no confusion, but perfect obedience and order. But there is so much to be done (Philip was on his deathbed and could no longer do the preaching). I try to do everything I can, but feel every day that I must leave much undone.

Amanda was soon offered a better job at Sitka with twice the pay, a house, and her winter’s wood supply, if she would teach a few white children. She declined because her heart went out to the young Indian girls being sold into prostitution. She wrote to Sheldon Jackson:

Last week Mr. X went to the parents of my favorite scholar, a bright little girl of 13, and actually bought her for twenty blankets. I determined to rescue her, as she was taken by force, begging and crying not to go. I succeeded in getting her away and her mother promised to keep her at home. But I fear for her.
Every day I feel more and more the need of a home for girls. This week I rescued one of my girls, age 11, from a white man on the street who was trying to get her to go to his house. Oh, if the Christian women in the East could see these things as I do, they would feel the importance of such a work here among our poor sisters.

When her stirring letters were published in church circles in the East she did get the home for girls she had asked for.

Amanda was delighted with the arrival of the Reverend Young, too, who soon married a teacher from Sitka, Fannie Kellogg. Fannie helped with Amanda’s new home school built in 1880. Amanda’s fame had spread throughout southeast Alaska and the school now had more applicants than could be accepted. Then came the dreadful shock of fire which destroyed the school in February 1883. No lives were lost but forty children had to run out into the snow.

Instead of rebuilding, the board sent Amanda to Sitka with as many pupils as wished to go. At Sitka, she became matron of the girls’ dormitory which she loved. However, her troubles were not over. According to Sheldon Jackson’s report of 1886 to the Secretary of the Interior, the newly appointed attorney general and others at Sitka were opposed to the mission school’s grant of land and stirred up Indian opposition to the school. Parents withdrew about half the pupils and rumors were spread that the matron was a witch, after a girl died of pneumonia. Even Sheldon Jackson was jailed for a short time.

In 1886, Amanda was asked to manage a new industrial boarding school at Howkan, the largest Haida Indian settlement. It was on an island about fifty miles west of Ketchikan. Howkan was later named “Jackson” and combined with two other villages to form the present Hydaburg. Here Amanda McFarland mothered, trained, and inspired the Indian young people for eleven years until her retirement in 1897 at the age of 65. She had given twenty fruitful years to Alaska: six at Fort Wrangel, two at Sitka, and twelve at Howkan.

A Brief Summary
of Amanda’s First 45 Years

Born Amanda Reed on August 12, 1832 in Fairmont, Virginia, (later West Virginia when it became a separate state in 1863 during the Civil War), she was one of thirteen children born into a strong Christian family which produced several missionaries. Her father was a “river man” who died of blood poisoning following an accident in which his leg was caught between two logs. Fairmont was located in a coal mining district near the Pennsylvania and Ohio borders. Amanda did not have to travel far to attend the distinguished female seminary in Steubenville, Ohio.

After graduation, she taught school in the Ohio Valley until at the age of 25 Amanda married the Rev. Dr. David McFarland, eleven years her senior. Immediately after the wedding in her home church, the couple left for Illinois. In 1866, after about ten years of preaching and teaching in Illinois, the Presbyterian board of missions asked the McFarlands to pioneer a mission at Santa Fe in the Catholic stronghold of the Territory of New Mexico. Other Protestant denominations had tried and failed.

Amanda’s family and friends were strongly opposed to her going to the wild frontier by a two and one half-week stagecoach journey through Indian country and no house at journey’s end. Her husband also thought it best to go ahead and scout out the land. So Amanda stayed with her family in Fairmont for the winter.

Dr. McFarland accomplished a great deal in the seven months before Amanda joined him. Aided by the Territorial Governor's wife, Mrs. Jennie Mitchell, the Rev. McFarland held the first Presbyterian service in the Council Chambers of the Palace of the governors in Santa Fe on Sunday, November 25, 1866, with 40 present, followed by Sabbath School in the afternoon. On December 10, 1866, he opened a school with ten scholars. On a snowy Sunday, January 6, 1867, the church, the oldest Protestant Church in New Mexico, was organized with 12 members, only 3 of whom were Presbyterian, and a Board of Trustees was elected which included Gov. Mitchell, Chief Justice Slough, a pallbearer at President Lincoln's funeral, the Postmaster, a Colonel of Ft. Marcy, and a promising young lawyer named Elkin. On March 4 of the same year, the Session purchased two acres of land at a Sheriff's sale and a 3-room house. Amanda arrived in Santa Fe in May, 1867 with forty pounds of baggage.

A year later, September 11, 1868, David and Amanda's only child, Harry Fulton, age 7 months, died of cholera. Amanda had a wealth of mother love to lavish on other people’s children and kept twelve of them in her own home. On December 14, 1868, the Presbytery of Santa Fe, Synod of Kansas, was organized. The church was visited by Sheldon Jackson, who made a glowing report of the progress of the Church and School.

After eight years and a successful ministry at Santa Fe, her husband’s health broke and they spent two years in San Diego, California. Feeling better, he begged to return to the mission field, and they were sent to the Nez Perce Indians in Idaho. There the Rev. David McFarland died of cancer on May 13, 1876. Amanda, now doubly bereaved, went to be near friends in Portland, Oregon. There, Dr. Sheldon Jackson met her and asked her to go to Fort Wrangel.

In 1898 at the age of 65, Amanda McFarland retired to Oklahoma and then to Fairmont, West Virginia, where she lived with her brother and died at the age of 80. She always spoke and wrote on behalf of Alaska missions.

Sheldon Jackson said of her:

All of the perplexities political, religious, physical, and moral of the Indian population were brought to her. Her fame spread far and wide among the tribes.

Since the Tlingit Indian society was matrilineal, Amanda McFarland had status as a woman – an advantage at the time of her most famous and daring exploit...

At Fort Wrangel, two of her female pupils disappeared from school. Word was brought to Mrs. McFarland that they had been accused of witchcraft and were being tortured. Amanda set out to rescue them. Her pupils implored her not to go. “They are having a devil dance and will kill you!” Sarah Dickinson, the interpreter, threw her arms around Amanda and, weeping, declared she was going to her death.

But up the beach alone marched the Christian teacher to where her two poor girls were stripped naked with hands and feet tied behind their backs, in the center of fifty frantic dancing fiends who, with yells, cut the victims with knives and tore out pieces of their flesh. Forcing her way to the side of the captives, Mrs. McFarland stood warning and pleading, and threatening them with the wrath of the United States gunboat, and after hours of dauntless persistency, cowed the wretches and took away the half-dead girls. (During the night, one of them was recaptured and killed.)

In 1878, a male minister arrived at Fort Wrangel and took over many of McFarland's official duties. Until her death in 1912 at the age of 80, McFarland remained an immensely influential woman within both the White and Native American communities of southern Alaska. She would later be called "Alaska's Courageous Missionary."

LINIOUS "MAC" McGEE Born 1897 in Francesville, IN. Worked in his grandfather's bank. In 1931 with no money but anxious for adventure, stowed away on the SS Aleutian from Seattle to Seward, Alaska. Worked for a time for A. A. Shonebeck who was the Standard Oil dealer in Anchorage. He got into fur trading, then bought a Stinson and started charter flying which expanded into McGee Airways. In 1936 McGee sold the airline with his fleet of seven black & silver Stinsons to Star Air Service and Mac managed the company for a time, then went back to mining. Mac died in Reno, NV in 1988.
OWEN E. MEALS Born Nov 19, 1891 in Nebraska. Came to Alaska with his family in 1903. Went to Denver in 1927 where he learned to fly & bought his first plane an open-cockpit Eaglerock the "Spirit of Valdez." Made first flights to Copper River Valley and Fairbanks in 1928. He wrecked the plane, and when Bob Reeve arrived in Valdez looking for a job, Meals hired him to repair the plane. Reeve leased the plane & started a charter business which was the beginning of what would ultimately become Reeve Aleutian Airways. As a Valdez businessman, Meals was prominent both in flying and promoting aviation in that area. Died in Valdez in December 1974.
RUSSEL HYDE "RUSS" MERRILL Born Des Moines, IA 1894; grew up in Des Moines. In 1915 enlisted in US Navy Reserve & from 1917-1921 was in the Naval Flying Corps. He received a B.S. Degree in Chemistry from Cornell Univ in 1919. He was again in the Naval Flying Corps from 1922 to 1925. In 1925 Merrill & Roy J. Davis flew Davis's Curtiss Flying Boat on the first flight across the Gulf of Alaska & became the first airplane ever to arrive in Anchorage. Merrill lost the plane in a crash on Chugach Island on a charter flight, and Merrill & Davis returned to Portland. When Anchorage investors formed Anchorage Air Transport in 1927 Russ was hired as chief pilot. This was the first airline operation in Anchorage. On one of his pioneering flights in Alaska he discovered what is now known as Merrill Pass.Russ left Anchorage alone on September 16, 1929 in a Whirlwind Travel Air, bound for Akiak village and was never heard from again. In October 1929 a piece of fabric from the plane was found on Cook Inlet near Tyonek. Merrill Pass and Anchorage's Merrill Field were named after him.
EUGENE A. "GENE" MEYRING Born September 6, 1904 in Colorado. Flew for Alaska Washington Airways, Alaska Southern Airways & Pacific Alaska Airways in Southeast Alaska in 1930s. Later joined Pan American Airways. Retired to San Francisco where he died May 7, 1975.
STEVEN E. "STEVE" MILLS Born in Dayton, WY in 1896. Moved to Seattle after serving in WW I. Learned to fly in Seattle & became Chief Instructor at Washington Aircraft at Boeing Field. Came to Anchorage in 1932 partnering with Charley Ruttan & Jack Waterworht to found Star Air Service to train student pilots. He continued as a pilot for Star and in August 1936 was chief pilot. He and five passengers were killed in crash above Upper Russian Lake on a charter flight to the Russian River on the Kenai Peninsula.
HANS MIROW Born in Germany, learned to fly at Tex Rankins Flying School in Portland, OR in 1929. Flew for National Air Transport in early 1930's. Established Mirow Air Service out of Nome in mid-1930's. First to schedule flights between Anchorage and Nome. Hans & his mechanic Pete Bystedt died in 1939 in crash of Stinson Gullwing between Unalakleet and Kaltag, while searching for Fred Chambers, one of his pilots who was forced down between Nome & Fairbanks with passengers. The Chambers plane was later found & rescued. Mirow Air Service became part of Alaska Star Airlines in 1942, which later became part of Alaska Airlines.
FREDDIE MOLLER Came to Alaska in 1901 prospecting for gold. Learned to fly to facilitate prospecting in far North remote locations. Became known as "The Flying Prospector." Survived many airplane crashes. Eventually went to work for Pan American as a flight mechanic and became a legend. Died along with pilot & four passengers in crash of a Pan American Pilgram on takeoff ten miles east of Nome in April 1944.
AL MONSEN Alf Nikolai "Al" Monsen born Norway, came to the U.S. in 1906. Worked for the Alaska Railroad. Learned to fly in the 1920s. Flew for Pacific International Airways, Pacific Alaska Airways & Pan American Airways where he flew the Seattle-Fairbanks-Juneau route. Died in a crash on Annette Island near Ketchikan in 1947 on his last flight before retirement. Was known to his friends as "Big Money Monsen", & famous for his expression, "every minute counts."
JOHN WESLEY "JOHNNY" MOORE Born September 18, 1907 in Eureka, CA. Came to Alaska in 1932. Flew for Gillam in the Copper River Country, was one of McGee's first pilots, then with Star Air Service. Managed and flew for Mirow Air Service out of Nome after Hans Mirow was killed in 1939 until it was sold to Alaska Star Airlines in 1942. Left Alaska in 1945 to fly for the Air Transport Command. Returned to Alaska in 1959 & became an electrician for Chugach Electric Association. He retired to Florence, OR in 1978, & died in Seattle May 4, 1988.
LEO MOORE Flew out of Anchorage to the Interior and Lower Kuskokwim. Flew first cow into
McGrath. Trip was successful, but the bull had not done his proper job, so there never was any milk for Dave Clough's baby granddaughter. After Alaska lived in Carmichael, CA.
HERBERT A. "HERB" MUNTER Born June 13, 1894. Taught himself to fly in Seattle & became Boeing's first test pilot. In 1935 Herb formed Air Craft Charter Service out of Ketchikan which he sold in 1941 to become a WW II Navy pilot. After the war partnered with Nick Bez to form West Coast Air Lines & became executive VP. The airline became a part of Air West. Died in Concord, CA May 24, 1970 after a long illness.
KENNETH WAYNE "KENNY" NEESE Born Waterloo, IA 1903; came to Anchorage in 1932. Flew for McGee Airways and then with Star Air Lines when Star bought McGee. Was Chief Pilot for Star. Left Alaska in 1941 to fly for Air Transport Command ferrying bombers & transport planes between Florida, South America and Africa. Was killed on takeoff in 1944 on his last flight before transferring to a desk job.
MATT NIEMINEN Born January 20, 1897. Flew out of Fairbanks in late 1920's. Was active in Eielson search. In 1930 Matt took first flight without oxygen over Mt. McKinley in a Fairchild 71 monoplane belonging to Alaska Airways, breaking the altitude record for flying without oxygen at over 20,300 feet. In 1930 he was first to fly into Lake Clark country in a Waco 10. Died February 1966 at Denver, CO.
The self-proclaimed hockey mom and political maverick swept America off its proverbial feet with her snarky and smooth repartee at the 2008 Republican National Convention when the Alaska Governor introduced herself as John McCain's surprise vice-presidential pick. By now, America is so familiar with Palin's personal history that one conniving teenager broke into her Yahoo! account by answering simple security questions like "Where did you meet your husband?" (Answer: Wasilla High School"). Despite the ups and downs of the campaign (Troopergate, the wardrobe debacle, Saturday Night Live, her daughter's untimely pregnancy, Katie Couric's infernal questions, and, oh yeah, defeat), Palin emerged as one of the party's most invigorating and captivating personalities. If 2009 calendar sales are any indication, Palin's future is looking bright.
ELBERT E. "AL" PARMENTER Born in Iowa March 31, 1903. Barnstormed, did air racing & stunt flying in Oregon in late 1920s. Came to Alaska to fly for Harold Gillam in mid-1930's. Flew mostly the Valdez - Fairbanks route; later flew for Cordova Air Service, and Woodley Airways. Left Alaska before WW II to work for Lockheed Aircraft in Burbank, CA. Died April 4, 1978 at Santa Clara, CA.
JACK PECK - Born January 25, 1915. Started flying in Valdez. Came to Anchorage then went to Bethel and formed Peck & Rice Airways, with Wyman Rice which operated for several years. Flew Alaska Airlines during the war years. Was chief pilot for Al Jones Flying Service in 1947, then owned and operated Alaska Aeronautical Industries in Anchorage & operated a Cessna dealership at Lake Hood. Died August 1978 at Soldotna, Alaska.
RAYMOND INGVARD "RAY" PETERSEN Born in York, Nebraska in 1912 & raised on a Wyoming ranch before moving with his family to Chicago. Earned his commercial pilots license in 1930. Came to Anchorage April 1, 1934 & began flying for Star Air Service, then moved to Bethel to fly for Marsh Airways. Partnered with Johnny Littley in 1935 to form Bethel Airways which went out of business in 1936 after both its planes crashed. In 1937 Ray formed Ray Petersen Flying Service in Bethel, which became part of Northern Consolidated Airlines through a series of mergers & acquisitions. Ray became president & CEO and continued as Chairman of Wien Consolidated Airlines after another merger with Wien Alaska Airlines. After retiring from aviation in 1979, Ray & his son operated a group of fishing lodges in Katmai National Park. Ray died in Anchorage Aug 12, 2008 at age 96.
FRANK POLLACK Started flying career with Northern Air Transport flying out of Valdez, Fairbanks &, Nome. In 1933 founded Pollack Flying Service in Fairbanks. Did contract flying for Weather Bureau in 1935. Sold his flying service to Alaska Star Airlines in 1942 and became Alaska Airlines operations manager in Fairbanks.
PRINCESS WAH NESE RED ROCK Princess Wah Nese Red Rock (1913-1988)
Princess Red Rock was the daughter of the last chief of the Ojibway Totem tribe of Canada. She was an Indian rights activist, a singer and an actress who appeared in the movie, "The Last of the Mohicans." Princess Red Rock attended the Eastman School of Music and went on to sing professionally as a member of the St. Louis Opera Company. She was billed as one of America's top Indian singers. The highlight of her career was singing at the White House for President Franklin D. Roosevelt's inauguration in 1944. She is buried in Valley Memorial Park, Palmer AK.
ROBERT CAMPBELL "BOB" REEVE Born March 27, 1902 Waunakee, Wisconsin. After a stint in the Army, earned his commercial pilots license in 1928 and started flying air mail runs for Panagra, the Pan American subsidiary in South America. In January 1932 Bob stowed away on a steamship bound for Alaska. In Valdez, he repaired Owen Meals' Eaglerock biplane which Meals had crashed, then leased the plane & started a charter business flying the Copper River area and Interior. Bob left Valdez in early 40's, went to Fairbanks, then to Anchorage, where he started making scheduled runs all the way down the Aleutian Chain. After a series of mergers & acquisitions, in 1947 he founded Reeve Aleutian Airlines based in Anchorage. He was president of the airlines. Bob retired from flying in 1948. In 1975 he was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame; in 1980 the International Aerospace Hall of Fame, & in 2005 the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame. Bob died August 25, 1980 at Anchorage.
PAT RENAHAN Flew for Alaska Washington Airways in Southeast Alaska. Was lost near Ketchikan coming north to search for Canadian bush pilot E. J. Paddy Burke whose plane was lost in Northern British Columbia with three on board in October 1930.
S.E. ROBBINS Flew for Alaska Airways in 1930 and was one of the pilots who flew furs from the trading ship Nanuck which was trapped in the ice off Siberia, helping to complete the Eielson contract after he was lost. Then went with Pacific Alaska Airways. Landed on the glaciers of Mt. McKinley in 1932. Flew the first mail routes from Fairbanks to upper Yukon villages for Pacific Alaska Airways, and in 1938 flew the first mail route from Fairbanks to Juneau. Transferred to San Francisco before WW II.
VICTOR "VIC" ROSS Born January 11, 1896. Was partner with Noel Wien when they formed Northern Air Transport. He was president of the company and also flew out of Valdez, Fairbanks and Nome. Was Noel Wien's co-pilot in 1935 when they flew the film of the Post/Rogers crash to Seattle, & was again his co-pilot when they flew a Tri-motor Ford on the first Seattle-Fairbanks passenger flight. Left Alaska before WW II. Retired in Bellingham, WA where he died in June 1975.
ALBERT F. "BERT" RUOFF Born March 29, 1934. Started as mechanic-pilot for Bowman Airways, Anchorage, then took over company to found Ruoff Air Service serving Anchorage to Bristol Bay area. later named Bristol Bay Air Service. The Alaska Air Pilots' Association was formed in 1938 with Roy Dickson as first president and Burt Ruoff as Vice President. Sold out to Ray Petersen in 1943 & left Anchorage. Died in1950 at Seattle, WA.
CHARLES H. "CHARLEY" RUTTAN Born Winnipeg, Manitoba. Along with Steve Mills & Jack Waterworth bought a two place open cockpit Fleet biplane in Glendale, CA in 1931. Shipped the plane to Alaska on the SS Yukon in the spring of 1932. They started Star Air Service in Anchorage with support from local investors. Flew with Star Air Service & Star Airlines. Gave up flying regularly to take over operations and management. Retired to Victoria, B.C., Canada where he died in 1994.
IRENE E. RYAN Irene E. Ryan (1909-1997)
Irene was a geological engineer who resided in Anchorage between 1931-1932. After leaving the state, she returned to Alaska in 1941 and became a permanent resident. She served as a geological exploration and survey consultant for private and public agencies. Irene served in the Alaska House of Representatives from 1955-1959 and as an Alaska State Senator from 1959-1961. She served the state in a number of different positions such as State Commissioner of Economic Development and Planning, executive secretary of Yukon Power for America which promoted the Rampart Dam in1963, Governor's Advisory Reapportionment Board in 1961 and she was a Member of the American Institute of Mining & Metallurgy Engineers. Irene held memberships in groups such as the Society of Women Engineers, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Advancement of Science, the Arctic Institute and the National Association of Geology Teachers. She is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
MURRELL SASSEEN Born January 16, 1906. Learned to fly in San Bernardino, CA. First flew in southeastern Alaska for Ketchikan Airways, then Alaska Southern Airways out of Juneau. Came north and flew for McGee Airways and Star Air Service in the mid 30's, then Mirow Air Service in Nome. Joined Air Corps in WW II and flew in the Air Transport Command. Flew for Woodley Airways, then employed by Alaska Coastal until he retired in Redmond, WA where he died in May 1974.
RALPH W. SAVORY Born in Santa Clara, CA area Oct 14, 1909. Learned to fly at Speed Johnson's Flying School, San Mateo, CA in 1929. Ralph brought a Curtis Thrush to Anchorage in 1935. Flew independently out of Anchorage, then for Star Air Service. The Alaska Air Pilots' Association was formed in 1938 with Roy Dickson as first president, Burt Ruoff as Vice President and Ralph Savory as Secretary. Went to Pacific Alaska Airways in 1939, flew Fairbanks - Juneau route. Became PAA Chief Pilot. In October 1957 Captained a Pan Am Clipper on a charter flight from San Francisco to McMurdo Sound, Antarctica via Fiji, Australia & New Zealand returning via London, making an around the world flight. Later became Pan American's West Coast Chief Pilot. Died Jan 18, 2010 in California.
Born in 1966 in Anchorage, Schilling is one of just 8 Alaskans to make it to the major leagues. He was just 19 when the Boston Red Sox noticed his pitching skills and drafted him in 1986 for $20,000. Since then, he has played for the Baltimore Orioles, the Houston Astros, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks. In 2004, he helped the Red Sox clinch their first World Championship win in 86 years. Off the field, though, Schilling hasn't been so successful. Last year, GQ ranked him 4th in its "Ten Most Hated Athletes" list — mostly for his in-your-face patriotism (he stumped for George W. Bush in 2004) and his very public conflicts with former managers, sports columnists and even his fellow teammates, one of whom accused him of using red paint to make it appear as though his injured ankle was bleeding during game six of the 2004 ALCS.

GEORGE S. "TONY" SCHWAMM Born August 31, 1902 in California. Was a Hollywood stunt flyer starring in Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels." Came to Petersburg, Alaska in 1937 & founded Petersburg Air Service, flying into Juneau. In Naval Reserve during WW II as Lt. Commander. Moved to Anchorage in 1949 as first Director of Aviation for the Territory. Was a delegate to 1956 Democratic National Convention. Became manager of Anchorage International Airport and was Anchorage Postmaster in 1963. Died of natural causes in Alaska in February, 1966.
CLAYTON L. "SCOTTY" SCOTT Born July 15, 1905 at Coudersport, PA. Soloed Feb 25, 1927 in a Waco 9. In May 1929 while flying for Gorst Air Transport in southeast Alaska, flew an amphibious plane from Juneau to Cordova, the first commercial crossing of the Gulf of Alaska. Went to Seattle in the early 30s and became Bill Boeing's personal pilot. Was chief production test pilot for Boeing from 1940-1966. In 2005 the Renton Municipal Airort was renamed Clayton Scott Field. He kept his pilots license active for 79 year. Died September 28, 2006 at Mercer Island, WA at age 101.
In 1925, more than 20 men and their dogs helped rush an emergency package of medicine nearly 675 miles to Nome, Alaska, which faced a deadly outbreak of diphtheria. As principal musher, Seppala battled blizzard conditions and icy terrain, eventually traveling more than twice as far as his colleagues. The "Great Race of Mercy," as it was later known, is now commemorated annually with the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, originally known as the "Iditarod Trail Seppala Memorial Race." Eventually, Seppala's name faded into obscurity — at least outside of Alaska. Today, most people think not of the man, but of the mutt, Balto, who led the final leg of the race, and whose achievement is marked by a life-sized statue that sits in Manhattan's Central Park.
SHELDON B. "SHELL" SIMMONS Born October 8, 1908 in Clearwater Co., Idaho, reared in Grandview, WA. In 1925 went to Alaska as an electrician at the Alaska-Juneau Mine. In 1929 went to Yakima, WA & learned to fly at a flying school run by John L. Seawall, a WW I pilot. Went back to southeast Alaska and after several failed attempts at air service involving the only Curtiss Jennie on floats and an open-cockpit Aero-Marine Klem, started Alaska Air Transport in 1935, joined with Alex Holden's Marine Airways in 1939 to form Alaska Coastal Airlines, which joined with Ellis Airlines in 1965 for form Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines, which became part of Alaska Airlines in 1968. Shell became a Director Emeritus of Alaska Airlines in 1981. He died Nov 16, 1994
in Juneau.
MERLE K. "MUDHOLE" SMITH Born September 22, 1907 in Kansas. Learned to fly in 1928 & barnstormed in the midwest. "Kirk" Kirkpatrick brought him to Alaska in 1937 to fly for Cordova Air Service. Bob Reeve observed his plane nosed over in a mud hole & gave him his nickname. Became president of Cordova Air Service after Kirkpatrick was killed in a 1939 crash. In 1952 merged with Christensen Air Service to become Cordova Airlines which merged with Alaska Airlines in 1968. "Mudhole" was a vice-president & director of Alaska Airlines until 1973. He was inducted into the OX5 Aviation Pioneers Hall of Fame & the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame. He died June 16, 1981 at Cordova. The Cordova Airport is named Merle K. (Mudhole) Smith Airport.

Once the country's longest-serving Republican senators, Ted Stevens had a rough year. After working as Alaska's go-to guy for four decades, Stevens ended his storied career in disgrace. He was convicted in October 2007 of failing to properly report more than $250,000 in gifts from an oil-services company executive and later lost his re-election bid by just a few hundred votes. Even so, most Alaskans remain fond of the 85-year-old World War II veteran. Thanks to his expertise in procuring pork barrel funds, the state received $3.4 billion between 1995 and 2008. The watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste, which has targeted the senator for years, named him December's Porker of the Month, calling the dubious award a "final swan song" for Stevens.

Stroud spent most of his adolescence in Alaska as a teenage runaway. It was there that he met a prostitute nearly twice his age, took up pimping and fatally shot a colleague during a drunken brawl in 1908. At the time of his first murder conviction, he was was just 19-years-old. Were it not for the mercy of President Woodrow Wilson, Robert Stroud would have been hanged in 1920 for murdering a prison guard while serving out his sentence at the Leavenworth, Kansas penitentiary. But as it was, Wilson commuted his sentence to life in solitary confinement, much of which Stroud spent on Alcatraz Island, where he wrote and published several books about ornithology. The self-taught hobbyist later earned the nickname "The Birdman of Alcatraz" and his Digest on the Diseases of Birds, published in 1943, became a classic in the field.
MURRAY STUART Flew a Boeing flying boat in Southeast Alaska in the early 30s with Gorst Air Transport until it was sold to Pacific Alaska Airways. Then became one of Pan American's top pilots. Brought first jet into Anchorage International Airport. Died of natural causes.

Sheldon Jackson's intentions were good, but his impact on Alaskan education was not. Until the mid-1970s, most rural villages in Alaska lacked schools or even basic infrastructure, with many towns connected not by roads, but by boardwalks. If they could afford it, some rural students took planes to reach the nearest school. Others were forced to spend 9 months of the year apart from their families when the distance was too great to cover regularly. Anna Tobeluk was just 18-years-old when, in 1975, she became the last plaintiff to join a lawsuit against the Alaskan government for its failure to provide public education. A year later, the court ruled in the students' favor and 126 schools were constructed across Alaska — an area nearly twice the size of Texas.

RICHARD AUSTIN TOZIER Richard Austin "Dick" Tozier (1931-1993)
Mr. Tozier was a veteran dog musher. He served on the board of directors of the Alaska Sled Dog Racing Association beginning in 1958. For 35 years he was race marshal for the club's premier event, the Anchorage Fur "Rondy." He also served as marshal for the inaugural run of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race 1974 and was an Iditarod board member. Dick was known for his way with dogs and horses and was president of the Chugach Range Riders Club from 1975 until his death

A.J. VALLEY Was an instructor for Steve Mills at Star Air Service in Anchorage. Later flew for Goodnews Bay Mining Co. Left Alaska at beginning of WW II.
DAN VICTOR Born September 27, 1901. Flew for McGee and Star Air Service in mid-1930's. Later went to work for CAA and died in a crash in November, 1942 between Nulato and Unalakleet in the Interior.
CLYDE WANN "The Father of Yukon (Territory) Aviation." Clyde & pilot Andy Cruikshank purchased a B-1 Ryan they named "Queen of the Yukon" at the San Diego factory, flew it to Vancouver, B.C., shipped it to Skagway, flew it to Whitehorse arriving October 28, 1927. The next day they flew the first commercial airplane flight in Yukon Territory founding Yukon Airways and Exploration Company. On May 5, 1928 the plane crashed at Whitehorse Airport, damaging it beyond repair. They purchased a B-5 Ryan they named "Queen of the Yukon II" which crashed at Mayo, Y.T. On November 2, 1929, killing the pilot John "Pat" Patterson. This ended Yukon Airways but commercial aviation in Yukon Territory had been established. Clyde died of a heart attack at his home near Whitehorse in 1967.
CLARENCE E. "SLIM" WALTERS Born August 9, 1914 at Wapinitia, OR. Came to Juneau in May 1935 flying for Irving Airways. Purchased a Daviss D-1K aircraft & started Alaska School of Aeronautics, a flight school & charter service in Juneau. When WW II started Slim joined the Ferry Command at Ft. Lewis, WA. From 1946-1950 he owned & operated Alaska Island Airlines in Petersburg. He worked for Reeve Aleutian Airways for many years, then joined the FAA in Anchorage as a inspector, retiring in 1976. Slim died at age 90 on July 16, 2005 at Lafayette, CO.
JOHN E. "JACK" WATERWORTH Born Olewein, Iowa December 2, 1906. Studied pharmology at Univ of Washington for 3 years. In 1931 in Seattle, Jack quit college & partnered with Steve Mills & Charley Ruttan to buy a Fleet biplane, shipping it to Alaska on the SS Yukon in the spring of 1932. With support from local investors they founded Star Air Service in Anchorage as a flight school & charter operation. Ruttan was business manager, Mills was chief pilot & Jack was instructor. In 1935 Jack left Star & worked at Loussac's Drugstore in Anchorage. He went Outside for a few years, then returned to Anchorage at the start of WW II to fly for Woodley Airways. He moved to Seattle in 1943, opened a hardware store, then worked for Boeing until his death in Seattle in September 1969.
LENORA WEAVER Leonora Weaver (1909-2002)
Leonora came to Alaska in 1951. She settled in Fairbanks and later moved to Anchorage and bought and operated the White Spot Café. She cooked and served burgers until she was 90 years old. Her business was famous in Anchorage and was known as "the home town place to eat." Leonora was a kind lady and is remembered for being "spunky" and "doing things her way." She is buried in Angelus Memorial Park, Anchorage.
FRANK H. WHALEY Born August 6, 1906. Was flying out of Nome with Roust Airways in 1934. Was an active Gold Miner. Later flew for Wien Airlines & became Chief of Publicity for Tourism with Wien Air Alaska.. Was a Territorial Representative from Nome from 1941-46, & Territorial Senator from Fairbanks 1945-46. In 1961 was one of the organizers of the World Eskimo Indian Olympics. Died in San Diego, CA September 15, 1997 at age 91.
SAM O. WHITE Born Nov 26, 1891 in Maine. He was in the US Army for two years in WW I. Came to Alaska in 1922 with a US Coast & Geodetic Survey Team mapping the Yukon River. In 1927 became a Game Agent for Alaska Game Commission. Ralph Wien taught Sam to fly in 1928, then he did his game patrol from the air. He left the Game Commission in 1941 & started flying for Wien Airlines. In WW II he flew charter planes for the US Air Force. After the war he continued flying in Alaska until retiring to Fairbanks in 1964, where he died in Dec 1976.
NOEL WIEN "Dean of the Alaska Bush Pilots." Born June 8, 1899 at Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin. In 1921 Major Ray S. Miller taught Noel to fly in Minnesota. He arrived in Alaska in 1924 to fly a Hisso J-1 Standard biplane for Rodebaugh's Alaska Aerial Transport Co. in Fairbanks. He flew the Standard on the first flight between Anchorage & Fairbanks on July 15, 1924, one of his many "firsts." In 1927 Noel & brother Ralph bought a Stinson biplane, founded Wien Alaska Airways in Nome & started the first scheduled air service in Alaska, one round trip per week between Fairbanks & Nome. They sold Wien Alaska Airways in 1929. Noel was first to reach Seattle with film of the Will Rogers, Wiley Post wreck in 1935. After founding several airlines, Noel sold his interest in Wien Alaska Airlines to his brother Sigurd "Sig" Wien in 1940. Noel died July 19, 1977 at Bellevue, WA. He was inducted into the OX-5 Club Hall of Fame in 1973, the Minnesota Aviation Hall of Fame in 1989, & the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame in 2000. The library in Fairbanks is named "Noel Wien Public Library."
RALPH WIEN Noel Wien's older brother, born 1897 in Wisconsin. Came to Alaska with Noel in
1924. Was co-founder with Noel in 1927 of Wien Alaska Airways in Nome. Noel taught him to fly in Fairbanks in 1928. He, along with two Catholic Priests died in crash of a Bellanca at Kotzebue on October 13, 1930. The Kotzebue Airport is named "Ralph Wien Memorial Airport."
SIGURD "SIG" WIEN Younger brother of Noel. Born November 5, 1903 in Wisconsin. In 1930 Sig accompanied Noel on his flight in a Stinson from Minnesota back to Alaska following Ralph's funeral. Sig learned to fly in Fairbanks in 1937. He lived in Barrow for five years & pioneered regular year-round flights to the Arctic Coast. In 1940 Sig purchased Noel's stock in Wien Air Alaska & became President. After the merger with Northern Consolidated Airlines in 1968 he became President of Wien Consolidated Airlines. Sig died in Fairbanks December 9, 1994.
OSCAR WINCHELL Born November 19, 1903 into a farm family in Veridgre, Nebraska He bought a Jenny in South Dakota in 1927 and founded Pioneer Airways which became Rapid City Airlines. Came to Alaska in 1931 & started operating Oscar Winchell Flying Service out of Anchorage. Flew to the Kuskokwim region. Oscar was a cowboy in Arizona before coming north and was known as "The Flying Cowboy," which is the title of a book about him published by his daughter. Flew for McGee, Star and Alaska Airlines. Oscar was forced down in March 1935 on a trip from Takotna and McGrath to Anchorage with three passengers. They were trapped in severe snow storms for 12 days before being rescued by Roy Dickson. There is a detailed account of this rescue in the new book Roy Dickson 1930s Alaska Bush Pilot. Oscar flew steadily until 1954 when he retired to San Dimas, California where he died December 19, 1987.
ARTHUR GORDON "ART" WOODLEY Born in New York February 15, 1906, educated at Boston College, learned to fly in the Army Air Corps in1928. His brother George was a Catholic Priest who had a Bellanca that he used in missionary work. When Father George was assigned to a new location at Nulato Mission in Alaska, Art & George flew the plane to Anchorage. Shortly after arriving, Father George was killed in a hunting accident. Art stayed and founded Woodley Airways in 1932 with a four place Travel Air and a four place Waco A. Originally he flew mostly to the Bristol Bay area & secured several mail contracts. Art renamed Woodley Airways in 1945 Pacific Northern Airway, then Pacific Northern Airlines (PNA) in 1947. PNA merged with Western Airlines in 1967 and Art was vice-president when he retired in 1971. Art died at his home in Bellevue, WA May 28, 1990. He was inducted into the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum Hall of Fame in 2008.
GEORGE E. "ED" YOUNG Born about 1893 in Michigan. Flew out of Fairbanks in the late 20's for Rodebaugh and flew for Anchorage Air Transport with Russ Merrill and Alonzo Cope and flew for Pacific Alaska Airways. Died in a crash of a Fairchild 71 at Livengood in the very early 1930's.

Return to Home Page

This page was last modified: Friday, 06-Jan-2012 23:50:39 MST  

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 10/1/2009 - thanks for stopping by!

Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.