post office was established here in 1949. (Ricks, 1965, p. 3).
Description: on Kenai Penin., at junc. of Anchor River and its North
Fork 14 mi. NW of Homer, Cook Inlet Low.; formerly called Laida
Name of a Tanaina Indian village reported at present site in 1958
by USGS. A map indicates a site with four or five buildings. A 1933
USGS map placed the village five miles NE of the present Beluga
along the Beluga River. At Cottonwood Beach on NW shore of Cook
Inlet, 8 mi. NE of Tyonek, Cook Inlet Low.
about 1947 by Barnes and Cobb (1959, pl. 17), USGS. Name derived
from the ravine Clam Gulch. A post office was established here in
1950 (Ricks, 1965, p. 13).
Description: pop. 50, on Kenai Penin., on Sterling Highway, 24 mi.
S of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
settlement, where post office was established in 1950 (Ricks, 1965,
Description: pop. 122, on Kenai Penin., on banks of Kasilof River,
13 mi. S of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
name published on recent USGS maps; derived from nearby Cooper Lake.
Description: pop. 88, on Kenai Penin., at head of Kenai River, at
W end of Kenai Lake, 30 mi. NW of Seward, Chugach Mts.
of a former station on The Alaska RR. Reported as Fall Creek Station
by B. L. Johnson (in Martin and others, 1915, pl. 2), USGS. Recent
USGS maps show it with five buildings.
Description: on Seward Highway, 22 mi. N of Seward, Chugach Mts.
name reported by B. L. Johnson (in Martin and others, 1915, pl.
2), USGS. Gilpatricks was originally a small mining camp in the
Moose Pass district named for John C. Gilpatrick who discovered
gold on Summit Creek in 1896.
Description: on Kenai Penin., on Seward Highway 22 mi. S of Sunrise,
town appears to have been established on or near Homer Spit in November
1895. Homer Pennock, a prospector who worked in the Cook Inlet area.
A post office was established in the town in 1896.
Description: pop. 1,247, on Kenai Penin., on N shore of Kachemak
Bay, 16 mi. NE of Seldovia; Cook Inlet Low.
camp. called "Hope City," established about 1896. The
population was 44 in 1920; 15 in 1930; 71 in 1939; and 63 in 1950.
The Hope post office was established in 1897 (Ricks, 1965,p. 27).
Description: pop. 44, on N end of Kenai Penin., near mouth of Resurrection
Creek, 7 mi. NW of Sunrise, Chugach Mts.
in late 1970's by Russian immigrants from nearby Nikolaevsk, the
name means "Kachemak Settlement".
Description: On the NW shore of Kachemak Bay, along the lower course
of Fox Creek, 32 km (20 mi) E of Nikolaevsk and 32 km (20 mi) NE
Indian village reported in 1916 by USC&GS. The name may be derived
from the "Kali (fishermen)" clan of Tanaina Indians, with
a Russian termination. Another story has the name given to a Dena'ina
(Tanaina) Indian who worked at the Fort Ross colony in California
between 1812 and the 1820's.
Description: Along Cook Inlet, on W coast of Kenai Penin., 16 km
(10 mi) S of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
is an agricultural settlement of Kenai Indians. In 1786 the Russian
Kolomin of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company built two log houses surrounded
by a stockade at or near this site. It was called "Saint George,"
presumably for one of the ships of the company. An Indian fishing
village grew up around this stockade. Its population in 1880 was
31; in 1890, 117; in 1930, 45. A post office was obtained in 1925
(Ricks, 1965, p32). "In 1937 a party surveying for homesteading
purposes on the Kenai Peninsula found near Kasilof the remains of
a partially buried village.* * * A partial excavation showed 31
well-preserved houses, each about 15 by 22 feet and 14 feet high.
The cabin walls were approximately four inches thick, made of beach
sand, bricks, logs and sod. Each had a fire place in the center.*
* * It was thought at the time to be of Eskimo origin, although
Eskimos are not known to have penetrated so far south. The aboriginal
inhabitants of the Peninsula are at present mostly Kenai.
fortified post, called Redut Svataya Nikolaya, or Fort St. Nicholas,
was built in 1791 by Grigor Konovalof, commander of the St George,
of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company. The village was also called Pauls
Fort, or Pavlovskaya, by the Russians. In 1869 a U. S. Military
Post, named Fort Kenai, for the Indians living in the area, was
established there, and in 1899 the Kenai post office was authorized
(ricks, 1965 p. 32). The population was 44 in 1880; in 1890, 263;
in 1910, 250; in 1920, 332; in 1930, 286.
Description: pop. 778, at mouth of Kenai River, on E shore of Cook
Inlet, 65 mi. SW of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
of Nikolaevsk, on the Kenai Peninsula, 3 mi. N of Epperson Knob
and 8 mi. NE of Anchor Point.
Indian name published by Petroff (1881, p. 29) in the 10th Census
in 1880. "The last syllable, tan, means point or cape."
Description: summer pop. only, on SW coast of West Foreland, 20
mi. NW of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
as a station in The Alaska RR. guide of 1925. Recent USGS maps indicate
a site of six or seven buildings.
Description: on E shore of Kenai Lake, mile 23.3 on the Alaska RR.,
1 mi. NE of Black Point, 21 mi. N of Seward, Chugach Mts.
of a station on The Alaska RR. reported in 1912 by A. H. Brooks,
USGS. It is reported that the village originally got the name Moose
Pass because "in 1903, a mail carrier driving a team of dogs
had considerable trouble gaining the right-of-way from a giant moose
* * *." A post office was established here in 1928 (Ricks,
1965, p. 43).
Description: pop. 136, mile 29.3 on The Alaska RR. on Seward Highway,
on SW shore of Upper Trail Lake, 26 mi. N of Seward, Chugach Mts.
Kenai Penin. along Seward Highway, 21 mi. N of Seward, Chugach Mts
of Nikolaevsk, on the Kenai Peninsula, 3 mi. N of Epperson Knob
and 8 mi. NE of Anchor Point.
published in 1965 by USGS. This village was reported in 1959 by
USGS as Naptowne Lodge.
Description: on Sterling Highway, 1.5 mi. ESE of Sterling, 19 mi.
ESE of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
Tanaina Indian village and boat landing reported as "Nikishka
No. 1" in 1912 by USC&GS. The village is now utilized primarily
as a wharf and petroleum handling facility, according to the USC&GS
Coast Pilot (1964, p. 78). See Nikishka No. 3.
Description: on the W coast of Kenai Peninsula 10 mi. NNW of Kenai;
Tanaina Indian village and boat landing. The USC&GS Coast Pilot
(1964, p. 78) states that it is now a barge wharf; recent USGS maps
indicated a site with two or three buildings. See Nikishka No. 3.
Description: On NW section of the Kenai Peninsula 15.3 km (9.5 mi)
N of Kenai.
in 1968 by a group of Russian Orthodox immigrants.
Description: on the Kenai Peninsula 3 mi. N of Epperson Knob and
8 mi. NE of Anchor Point.
is an agricultural settlement, formerly a fur-farming and fishing
village. Ivan Petroff (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1884, p. 27,)
wrote "A number of 'colonial citizens,' or superannuated employe's
(sic) of the old Russian Company, were ordered to settle some fifty
or sixty (1820 or 1830) years ago at Ninilchik, and their descendants
live there still." Its population in 1880 was 53; in 1890,
81; in 1920, 87; in 1930, 124. A post office was obtained in the
Description: pop. 169, on W coast of Kenai Penin., 38 mi. SW of
Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
Tanana Indian village reported by USGS about 1898.
Description: Site of a former Indian village, on the NW shore of
Cook Inlet, 5 mi SW of Tyonek, Cook Inlet Low.
Port Graham Village Council
PO Box 5510
Port Graham AK 99603
Village of Port Graham is located at the southern end of the Kenai
Peninsula on the south shore of Port Graham Bay. Port Graham is
twenty (20) air miles southwest of Homer and is one hundred and
eighty (180) air miles southwest of Anchorage.
Port Graham is an isolated community accessible only by air or
water. Commuter airlines provide the majority of the transportation
and all of the mail service between Port Graham and Homer. Subsistence
activities are an important component of the village economy,
while commercial employment is primarily with the local school,
the Tribal council, the health clinic and commercial fishing.
The village of Port Graham is an Alutiiq community and the Native
people of Port Graham call themselves Sugpiaq, meaning "real
people". The Sugpiaq heritage is strongly based in traditional
language, subsistence lifestyle, culture traditions and self-government.
The traditions and culture of Port Graham and its people have
steadfastly survived the Russian and American impact on traditional
The primary business area of the village includes the village
council offices and community center, the Port Graham cannery
and hatchery operation, the community airstrip, and a future local
display facility within the Port Graham corporation building.
The Village is governed by The Port Graham Tribal Council. It
is a federally recognized Indian Tribe that serves the Alutiiq
people of Port Graham. The village Council operates a variety
of social, cultural and community and economic development programs
designed to enhance the quality of life within Port Graham.
NW coast of Kenai Peninsula, on shore of Cook Inlete, 16.1 km (10
mi) NNW of Kenai.
for William Henry Seward, 1801-72, U.S. Secretary of State, 1861-69,
who negotiated the purchase of Alaska. "The town was founded
in 1902 by surveyors for The Alaska RR. (built 1915-23) as the ocean
terminus of the RR. with an airfield and an ice-free harbor, it
is an important supply center for the Alaska interior" (Bridgewater
and Sherwood, 1950, p. 1799). A post office was established here
in 1895, discontinued in 1896, but reestablished in 1903 (Ricks,
1965, p. 57). Its population was 534 in 1910; 652 in 1920; 835 in
1930; 949 in 1939; and 2,114 in 1950.
Description: pop. 1,891 on Kenai Penin., at NW end of Resurrection
Bay, Chugach Mts.
On Trading Bay, 9.5 mi SW of Tyonek, Cook Inlet Low.
mining camp in Sixmile Creek mining area. Recent USGS maps indicate
a site with four buildings. Name derived from nearby Silvertip Creek.
Description: on Kenai Penin., between Seward Highway and East Fork
Sixmile Creek, 24 mi. SW of Whittier and 9 mi. SE of Sunrise, Chugach
published on 1952 USGS map.
Description: On the NW shore of Kenai Lake, Kenai Peninsula, at
the mouth of Shackleford Creek, 32 mi SSW of Hope, Chugach Mountains.
named for the stream, reported to have been established in the late
1930's or early 1940's at the Stering-Kenai Road junction. A post
office was established here in 1949 (Ricks, 1965, p. 60).
Description: On the N bank of the Kenai River, along Sterling Highway
N of Kenai River, 8 mi. SE of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
that apparently had its name formalized in 1954 when a post office
was established (Ricks, 1965, pl. 61).
Description: pop. 115, S of Sterling Highway at junc. of Moose and
Kenai Rivers, 18 mi E of Kenai, Cook Inlet Low.
Tanaina Indian village reported in 1880 as "Toyonok" by
Ivan Petroff as consisting of "2 whites, 6 creoles, and 109
natives." This Indian name means "little chief" and
the Eskimo name "Tu-i-u'nuk" reportedly means "marsh
people" (Hodge, 1907, p. 860), BAE. A post office named "Tyoonok"
was established in 1896; renamed Tyonok in 1905, Beluga in 1909,
Moquawkie in 1915, and Tyonek in 1933 (Ricks, 1965, p. 67). In 1890,
the village had a population of 115; 50 in 1920; 136 in 1939; and
132 in 1950.
Description: pop. 187, on NW shore of Cook Inlet, 43 mi. SW of Anchorage,
Cook Inlet Low.