Search billions of records on


Kodiak Island Logo




ABSTON Hugh Gerhardt Abston(January 26, 2011) Former resident Gary Abston, 68, died Jan. 26 at the University Hospital in Seattle. He beat cancer twice and this was his third battle with it. He was always upbeat and brave, with a goal to get well and run the barge he ran last summer. Upon returning the boat to Seattle last fall the cabin burned down with all of his worldly belongings.There will be a prayer for Gary at the Russian Church on Saturday, Feb. 12, at noon with a potluck celebration of life to follow at the American Legion at 2 p.m.Gary Abston born Hugh Gerhardt Abston to Verna (Anderson) Abston and Pat Abston on July 8, 1942, at the Coast Guard Base.Gary was the eldest of five children, David, Allen, Zoya and Dyan. He went to school here staying with his grandmother Sophie Anderson, who only spoke Russian. He went to school a couple of years in Ballard, but always came back home to Kodiak. He was forced to quit school at 16 and help his mother provide for the family.Gary was preceded in death by his son, David, age 16, mother Verna, father Pat, brothers David and Allen, and his sister Dyan.His sister Zoya had three daughters, Dyan, Shyan and Reyan with Gordon Hubbard and later married her present husband Stan Olsen. With many nieces and nephews from this family.His sister Dyan had two sons with Roger Conaway, David and Jordon James.His half-sister, Sandra Warren, lives in Magee, Miss.Jim Johnson of Larsen Bay introduced Gary to his sister, Virginia, and upon leaving Gary stated, “See you later, brother-in-law.” Gary and Virginia were married May 14, 1961, and had three children, Patricia (Trish), David and Trista AbstonGary and Virginia lived in Kodiak and worked at Naughton’s Bakery until the tidal wave in 1964 took their jobs out to sea. They moved and bought a home in Edmonds, Wash., but following five years of returning to Kodiak to fish and having a son they decided to give up those long journeys up the Alcan (Virginia had 16 in total and Gary had 18 due to the fear of flying). Once back in Kodiak they bought a house on Birch and another later on Larch, where the family remained for 26 years.Upon leaving Kodiak Gary bought a bar in Lake Havasu City and later the Vasa in Ballard and after this a person could say the sea became his home. He owned a fishing site and for many years then owned and operated the Little Star tendering salmon, fishing crab and tendering herring in Cook Inlet.In recent years he ran the barges Iron Mike, Aint Easy, Autumn Rose.He leaves behind daughters Trish (Abston) Cox and three grandchildren, David, Brandon and Mandi; and daughter Trista Abston with one grandchild Maryssa; as well as many other family members and dear friends including Jim Johnson, Tom Johnson, Roger Johnson, Jack Wick, Roger Conaway, Sonny Chichenoff, Mike O’Conner and Fred Williams and Charlie Eads and Terry Craig.


ACEVEDA, ROY AVENA SR. 91, died Jan 22 (1996) in Kake. Aceveda came in 1936 to Kodiak, where he worked as an accountant in a cannery. He was a civic leader in Kake, and was president of the Filipino Community in Juneau. He was a chef at the Baranof Hotel in Juneau for 17 years.


Dr. Lydia Black, noted anthropologist and author of several books on Alaska Native culture and Alaska history, died 12 March 2007 at the age of 81 at her home in Kodiak. Black was with family and friends at the time of her death. She died of liver failure and had been ill several months. Black was well known around the state. Her daughter, Zoë Pierson, said frequent visitors from Kodiak and around Alaska had assisted the family in caring for Black during recent weeks.“She loved people, so when visitors were in she would visit with them and talk with them if she was awake,” Pierson said this morning. Black was born in Kiev, Ukraine, of the then-Soviet Union, and educated in Russia, Germany and the United States. She had five daughters with her husband, Igor A. Black, a thermodynamics engineer who worked for NASA contractors during the 1960s, and preceded his wife in death in 1969. As a young widow, Black became a professor of anthropology, beginning in 1973 at Providence College in Providence, R.I. In 1984 she came to Alaska permanently and began teaching at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Throughout her career, Black traveled Southwest Alaska to research the culture and traditions of the region. She became known as the preeminent scholar of the Unangam (Aleut) of the Aleutian Islands and the Sugpiaq (Alutiiq) of the Kodiak Archipelago. Fluent in Slavonic and Russian, Black translated many firsthand accounts of Native cultures written during the Russian colonial period. In her writings, Black was known for emphasizing artistic and cultural accomplishments, rather than social ills of Alaska Native cultures. “They know they have problems. My job is to remind them of their glory,” is what Black reportedly said of her work. Family members and colleagues said Black was unapologetic for describing Alaska Native history from that perspective.“That was the way she felt and she would tell you so if it came up,” Pierson said. Black retired from UAF in 1998, and continued her work in Kodiak, where she helped translate and catalogue Russian archives of St. Herman’s Seminary. The Orthodox Church in Alaska recognized her contribution by awarding her the Cross of St. Herman. Black continued to write and edit. Some of her most accessible work was published following her retirement. One of her best-known books, “Aleut art — Unangam aguqaadangin” is a collection of beautifully photographed and carefully documented art made by Natives of the Aleutian Islands. Another, “Russians in Alaska, 1732 to 1867,” was published in 2004, the year Black turned 79. Black was also known for continuing correspondence and cultivating friendships with many of her students, even after their professional careers began and after she had retired from teaching. Katherine Arndt, a close friend and colleague who works in the archives at the Elmer E. Rasmuson Library at UAF, had a professional relationship with Black that blossomed into a friendship. Arndt said her own doctorate in Anthropology is the result of returning to studies at Black’s urging. “If you know her at all, you would know that once you are her student, you would remain her student for life,” Arndt said. In 2001, the Soviet successor state, now called the Russian Federation, awarded Black the Order of Friendship in recognition of her work documenting the Russian America colonial period. As with her work involving Alaska Native culture, Black’s writing about Russian colonists in Alaska often confronted commonly held misconceptions head-on, and was meant to be accessible by the layperson. “She wanted the general public to know that the Russians weren’t brutal, cruel and drunk all of the time,” Arndt said. Pierson said that during her mother’s final days, Black was able to visit with many of the people who came to care for and visit with her. Black remained a teacher, even while gravely ill. “She was a born teacher, so anyone who asked for information, they would get that and more.” A funeral service for Black is noon on Saturday, March 17, at St. Paul Lutheran Church, with a burial to follow at City Cemetery. A reception is scheduled for 4 p.m., March 17, at the Kodiak Senior Center.
BLONDIN Patricia Nan Blondin, 59, died Jan. 12, 2005, at home in Tok, Alaska. Ms. Blondin was born in Kodiak. She is survived by her daughters, Florence "Sam" Miettunen and Betty Weeks; son, Richard Standish; brother, Willie Hall; granddaughters, Kanisha Quincy and Hailey Standish; and grandsons, Joseph Barfield, William Barfield, Jason Standish and Wayne Weeks.
CASE Nettie Sargent Case(March 2, 2011) Lifelong Alaskan Nettie Sargent Case, 85, died March 2, 2011, at her daughter’s home in Wasilla.A memorial service will be held later this summer. Nettie will be laid to rest at Fort Richardson National Cemetery.Her family wrote: “After receiving the Last Rites from Father John Zabinko of St. Innocent Russian Orthodox Church, Nettie was received into the hands of her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”The youngest of 13 children, Nettie was born Oct. 8, 1925, in Kodiak to Frederick and Fern Sargent. The Sargents were among the founding families of Kodiak. Nettie often shared loving memories about “Papa,” a commercial fisherman who would sail to San Francisco and bring home treasures for the family. Occasionally Nettie and her mother traveled to San Francisco from their home, the “big house,” in Kodiak. She was proud of her Russian and Alaska Native heritage and remained close to her many siblings.Nettie worked for many years at Alaska Native Medical Center. After retirement, Nettie and her husband of 53 years, Norman, moved to Wasilla. They delighted in spending time with their children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews whenever they had the opportunity.Nettie was a gifted seamstress and later developed a talent for quilting. She loved to read, do puzzles and play cribbage.Nettie was preceded in death by her beloved husband and all but three of her siblings.She is survived by her siblings, Fern Cleghorn, Neil (June) Sargent and Edward Sargent. She also is survived by her son, Bruce (Sheri) Case of Blaine, Wash.; her daughter, Archie (Gordon) O’Blenness of Wasilla; grandchildren, Jeffrey (Jayme) Case, Nikolas O’Blenness, David (Tennille) O’Blenness and Tracey O’Blenness; nieces, Gwen Steelman and Nancy Hunt; nephew, Fred Case; along with three great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews and their children.
CHICHENOFF Former Kodiak resident Gladys Chichenoff, 99, died Aug. 14, 2010, in Bellevue, Wash.A funeral will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at St. Innocent Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Anchorage.Born April 24, 1911, in Ouzinkie, to Paul and Maria Katelnikoff, Gladys was one of eight children. In 1933, Gladys married Zack Chichenoff of Afognak. They moved with their family to Kodiak in 1947. Gladys was an active member of Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Kodiak. She served on the church council and was a member of the Sisterhood. Gladys worked many years at Griffin Memorial Hospital in Kodiak. Gladys was a resident of the Kodiak Senior Center for many years and enjoyed the many activities offered there including a memorable van trip from Alaska to the continental United States. Gladys was prolific with her beautiful crochet work for family, the senior center and for the church. Gladys enjoyed traveling and toured Europe and the continental United States to visit her daughters and their families several times. In 1994, Gladys moved to Washington State to live with her daughters, Maria (John) and Kathryn (Max).Gladys was preceded in death by her husband, Zack; and her daughter, Norma Galliher.Gladys is survived by her sister, Katherine Helmig of Anchorage; daughters, Maria (John) Grinstead of Bellevue, and Kathryn (Max) Pahmeier of Snohomish, Wash. She is also survived by her grandchildren, Bernard (Deborah) Galliher, George Galliher, Robert (Maxine) Galliher, Jodie (Devon) Brown, Shelly (Dennis) Woodke, Cherylle Galliher, John Grinstead III, John (Kirsten) Galliher, Laurie Pahmeier (Brett), Stephen (Krista) Grinstead, James Grinstead, and Laura Galliher. Gladys has 19 great-grandchildren and eight great great-grandchildren. She gave each member of her family the amazing gifts of love and acceptance.
CHRISTOFFERSEN Kenneth E. Christoffersen, 76, died April 21, 2010 at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Mr. Christoffersen was born Feb. 22, 1929, in Kodiak, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Annette; daughters, Brenda, Carol, Carrie and Jessie Christoffersen, Glenna Hill, Loriena Koruna, Esther Price, Christine Pulis, and Kathrene Waterbury; and sons, Danny, Fred, Kenneth E., Kenny, and Tim.
CHRISTOFFERSEN Raeann M. Christofferson (September 16, 2010) Funeral services were held Monday, Sept. 20, for Raeann M. Christofferson, 19, at The Nativity of Our Lord Orthodox Church in Ouzinkie. Father John Dunlop officiated. Raeann died in an automobile accident Sept. 16. Memorial services for Ms. Christofferson were held at the Kodiak Mortuary and Kodiak High School. Raeann was born in Kodiak Oct. 19, 1990. She grew up in Ouzinkie and moved with her family to Kodiak in 2001. She attended Main Elementary, Kodiak Middle School and Kodiak High School, where she graduated in May, 2009. Raeann was employed by Andrew Airways and worked primarily at the state airport office and the Andrew Air tourist desk at the Kodiak Inn. Described by her mother, Cheryl (DeeDee) Christofferson as a person who loved kids, Raeann took classes at Kodiak College, intending to eventually pursue a degree in early childhood education. While a student at KHS, Raeann worked with Main Elementary students in the cadet program. “She loved kids and they loved her,” her mother said. “She was a very kind and giving person who had an infectious smile and was everyone’s best friend. She put her heart into everything she did.” Her favorite pastimes were spending time with family and friends, picnics, photography and listening to music. Raeann is preceded in death by her great-grandparents, Evon and Anastasia Farsovitch; and grandparents John and Verna Panamarioff, Emil Christofferson Jr. and Polly Decker. She is survived by her parents, Andy and Cheryl (DeeDee) Christofferson of Kodiak; sister and brother-in-law Jaelene and Kostya Petropavlovskiy, Kodiak; sisters Christina Christofferson and Nora McRae, Kodiak, Michelle Johnson, Ouzinkie; brothers Andy Christofferson Jr., Kodiak, Terry Leite Jr., Seattle; nephew Alexander Petropavlovskiy, Kodiak; nieces Kelsey Seifner and Savannah McRae, Kodiak; Cienna Johnson, Ouzinkie; step-grandparents Wayne and Alma Decker, Hammond, Ore., and many, many aunts, uncles and cousins.
COBBAN Gwendolyn "Gwen" Cobban died Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010, at Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center. She was 95.A memorial celebration of life will be at 6 p.m. Saturday in St. James Episcopal Church in Kodiak. Her ashes will be buried with her husband and son in Kodiak at a later date.Gwen was born March 20, 1915, to Porter Roy Davidson and Nora (Clapp) Davidson, in Wheatland, Ore. She grew up in Wheatland, Bolton and Amity, Ore. She went to school in Amity, where she met her future husband, "Casey" Cobban, when she was 14. They married 5 years later and raised six children. She sewed for the family in her younger days, she knitted and crocheted and in her later years became interested in quilting, which she enjoyed very much. She was a hand-quilter and joined a group of other senior hand-quilters in Concrete, Wash.They came to Sitka in November 1941, where Casey was working as an electrician for Siems Drake at the Navy facility on Japonsky Island. After Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, all dependents were on an Alaska Steamship vessel Dec. 8 to Seattle. Casey stayed with Siems Drake and was working on Rugged Island outside Seward when the family was allowed back into the territory in the summer of 1944. They lived in Seward, where Casey became a fisherman, until 1954. They then moved to Seldovia until 1959, Seward again until 1963, and Dillingham, where she worked for National Bank of Alaska. They moved to Kodiak in 1973, where she continued with NBA until the late '70s. They traveled until Casey's death in 1981 and she subsequently moved to Oregon and Washington for 20 years. She returned to Kodiak in 2000.She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Barbara and Sonny Peterson; sons and daughters-in-law, Gary and Dodi Cobban of Kodiak, Mike and Joanne Cobban of Big Lake, Robert and Sherry Cobban, of Clarkston, Wash., and Craig and Junko Cobban of Anchorage; 15 grandchildren, 26 grandchildren, and 11 great-great-grandchildren, all of whom but one were lucky enough to know her.Gwen was preceded in death by her husband, Casey; son, Terry Sr.; and great-grandson, River Cobban.


DINGLASA, PHILLIP CABALAN 78, died May 5 (1996) in Kodiak. Born in Hawaii, Dinglasa moved in 1945 to Kodiak, where he worked as a commercial fisherman until retirement in 1984. He was an avid sportsfisherman who enjoyed canning salmon and handcrafting his own flies. When not fishing, he enjoyed sewing and taking long drives. (9/96)
EGGEMEYER Marlyss Rae (Blinn) Eggemeyer (January 5, 2011) Marlyss Rae (Blinn) Eggemeyer, 75, passed away in her home, surrounded by her family Jan. 5, 2011. Her final months were made comfortable by the attentive care and love of her children, their families and her sister Beoma.Marlyss was educated on Kodiak and at Forest Ridge Convent in Seattle. She and James Earl Eggemeyer, who she met on Kodiak while he served in the U.S. Marine Corps, were married in August 1954 in Kodiak’s St. Mary’s Church. She and Jim continued the long family tradition of fishing. In 1963, they purchased a furniture business from J. W. Rhodes and after losing it to the 1964 earthquake, re-built and expanded it over the years to include clothing and shoes. Marlyss would run Eggemeyer’s Casuals for years to come. The furniture portion of the business remains today under the ownership of their son James.Marlyss was a devoted mother who loved Kodiak and the warm, Alaska summers when her garden flowers thrived. She also enjoyed many years of camping with family and friends at Roslyn Beach.Her mother Freda (Kraft) Blinn, father Jess M. Blinn, husband James E. Eggemeyer and eldest son Jess Eggemeyer preceded her in death.Marlyss is survived by her daughter Tenley Rae Kerlee (Tim) of Mount Vernon, Wash.; sons James (Debbie), Thomas, Steven (Alisa) of Kodiak; grandchildren Scott, Michael and Jimmy Eggemeyer, Daniel and Christina Brown, Ashley, Steven, Jess II and Lorraine Eggemeyer; great-grandson Jess III; and her sister Beoma Oakley (Al) of Birch Bay, Wash.
ELXNIT Nick Grienoff Elxnit, 97, died peacefully on May 26, 2001, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Elxnit was born Nov. 3, 1903, in Kodiak, Alaska to Alexandra Fomin of Aleut and Russian descent, and Harry Grienoff of Finland. His stepfather was Alex Elxnit of Seldovia. His sister Dora Ursin preceded him in death in 1996. His nephews Rayder Ursin of Ninilchik, Norman Ursin of Seattle, Wash., nieces Laura Resoff of Kodiak and Eleanor Shurvaloff of Edmonds, Wash., and many great and grand nieces and nephews survive him.
FADAOFF Ronald Arthur “Ronnie” Fadaoff (January 9, 2011) Ronald Arthur “Ronnie” Fadaoff was born on Woody Island in 1932, and passed away following a brief illness at the Providence Kodiak Island Long Term Care Center on Jan. 9, 2011. He was 78 years old.A Celebration of Life memorial service was held Jan. 11, 2011, at the Care Center. Later this year when all his family can gather his ashes will be spread on his beloved Woody Island as well as at West Point Village where he had resided for more than 30 years.Ronnie was born to Anastasia “Nettie” Fadaoff. Some of his childhood was spent at the Kodiak Baptist Mission where he made many friends. He attended school in Kodiak and went to Mount Edgecumbe in Sitka.He served in the United States Army infantry from 1952 to 1954, where he honed his cooking skills. He was stationed at Fort Richardson.Shortly after his military service ended, he married Martha Patarochin in Kodiak. Ronnie and Martha loved and enjoyed raising their daughter Margaret.Ronnie began his boat-building and repair skills while working for Alvines Boat Repair. Ronnie commercially fished the Kodiak waters most of his life and worked on the Teresa Lee for Bob Resoff on the Yukon River for many years. He also worked in the local canneries with his wife Martha.In the aftermath of the 1964 earthquake and tidal wave, he helped move many stranded fishing boats from downtown Kodiak back to the harbor. Many historic photos document this trying time, including those on display at the Kodiak Inn.After Ronnie moved to Uganik, he fished salmon, cod, halibut and herring. He later married Julie Justine Komm in Kodiak. Ronnie and Justine shared their life together in Uganik until her death in 1996. Ronnie was also a watchman for Cook Inlet Fisheries in Uganik.He was a jack-of-all-trades. Ronnie built boats and skiffs, a home on Spruce Cape and another home at Uganik. He knew how to fix anything. Ronnie will also be well remembered for his smile and infectious and contagious laugh.A severe heart attack led to his being in long-term care, first in Kodiak, then Seward and the last three years back in Kodiak.He was preceded in death by his mother Nettie in 1973; his brother Alex Fadaoff in 1988; young brothers Raymond “Skip” Harmon; and Vietnam conflict hero Danny Harmon in 1967.He is survived by his daughter Margaret and her husband Gary Roberts; grandchildren Leslie Ann (Russell Heglin), Shelly (Frank Peterson Jr.), Jeremy (Tarran Roberts) and Lachelle Roberts (Robert May); great-grandchildren Desiree Heglin, Samantha Heglin, Merrick Allain, Tyler Peterson, Luther (Dewey) Peterson, Aiden Peterson and Jerin Ray Roberts; great-great-grandson Deagan Knagin; siblings Michael “Mitch” Gregoroff (Donna), Paul Harmon, Maurice Harmon (Cindy), Rayna Wetham, Leanna “Lee” Castillo (Tony),and James “Jim” Harmon. He is also survived by numerous nieces and nephews and cousins, the many descendants of Woody Island and his extended family at the Care Center in Kodiak. He will be greatly missed by all his long time friends and family.
FOSTER Eunice (Naumoff) Foster (January 2, 2011) Eunice (Naumoff) Foster passed away peacefully on Jan. 2, 2011, at the age of 67. She was born in the village of Karluk to Nikita Naumoff and Marina (Naumoff) Waselie. She grew up in Karluk, went to Mt. Edgecombe High School and then returned to live in Larsen Bay and Kodiak. She was a devoted daughter to her mother, spending many years as her caregiver. Her mother, Marina Waselie, passed away just two months ago. Eunice was the mother of three children: two sons and a daughter. She was preceded in death by her two sons, Michael D. Naumoff and Jeffrey A. Naumoff, and her husband Donald Foster. She is survived by her daughter Darlene M. Quinton, sister Sophie (Katelnikoff) Shepherd, brother Lars Naumoff, grandson Nikita M. Naumoff, granddaughter Margaret M. Naumoff and many extended family members. Eunice will be remembered for her generosity, wonderful sense of humor, ability to make friends with anyone she met and loving nature.
FROST FROST, SUSAN 96, a fluent speaker of Russian, Aleut and English, died Nov. 7 (1994) in Kodiak. Born in Afognak, she experienced the 1912 Karmai volcanic eruptions, recalling that Afognak residents scraped the ash off their potato patches, ensuring potatoes for the winter, but Kodiakans did not. (3/95)
GANNON A. Jean Gannon, 54, died April 16, at home in Anchorage. Ms. Gannon was born Feb. 12, 1951, in Karluk, Alaska. She is survived by her husband, Bruce E. Gannon, and daughter, Shelly A. Gannon.
GRAVES GRAVES, IRENE 84, died May 5 (1996) in Kodiak. Born in Afognak, throughout much of her life she worked in canneries on the west side of Kodiak Island, including Port Bailey and Uganik. She performed many services for the community, as nurse, undertaker and midwife. She lived for many years in Ouzinkie, where she was known as "Babooka," which means "the person who brings you into the world." (9/96)
HEINE (May 20, 2011) Mary “Doreen” Christiansen Heine went into the presence of our Lord on May 20, 2011. She was born on Nov. 8, 1972, in Kodiak, Alaska, to Florence Matfay Christiansen Pestrikoff and Boris Ralph Christiansen (deceased). She was a loving wife, mother, daughter, sister and grandmother. She will be missed greatly by her family and friends who loved her deeply. Doreen was born in Kodiak and lived in Old Harbor and Anchorage and even spent time in Lincoln, Calif.. She met her husband John Heine and they exchanged their vows in 1996. They lived in Anchorage for a short time but eventually settled in Kodiak and called it home. Doreen enjoyed making home-made crafts for her loved ones, but above all she cherished the time she spent with her daughters and granddaughters. To all those who had the pleasure of knowing her, she was a kind and generous person. Doreen was also compassionate and empathetic and had the unique ability to lighten our load even in the midst of her own personal struggles. Our hearts are saddened by this tremendous loss, but we know she is in the presence of her loving savior, Jesus Christ. Doreen is survived by her husband John Heine; daughters Nnekyia, Tristina (Kalani), and Chyian; granddaughters Tayven and Alizae; mother Florence Pestrikoff; brother David “Rocky” (Matilda Aga) Christiansen; sisters Lydia Rozelle, Donna (Verne) Nakasone, Rhoda Myrlak, Tanya (Dusty) Storms, Lori (Justin) Harford; father-in-law Marvin Heine; and her good friend and niece Hope (Lewis) Morris. There is also a long list of nieces, nephews and cousins who will miss their aunt as well. Doreen was preceded in death by her grandparents Larry and Martha (Naumoff) Matfay; her father Boris Ralph Christiansen; brothers Jerry, Wesley and Timothy Christiansen; stepfather Charles Pestrikoff; mother-in-law Claire Heine; and brother-in-law Michael “Mike” Heine. The funeral service for Doreen will be held at the Kodiak Bible Chapel, 416 Island Lake Road, at 1 p.m. on Monday, May 30. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a charity of your choice in honor of Mary “Doreen” Heine.
HOPPER HOPPER, DOROTHY "DOTTIE" 70, co-owner of the Road's End restaurant and bar at Chiniak on Kodiak Island, died Oct. 20 1994 in Anchorage. She had worked at the Chiniak Track Station in Kodiak and on the trans-Alaska pipeline. (2/95)
JAGER Lucy A. Jager, 67, of Sumner, Wash. died Nov. 30, 1998 at her residence. Ms. Jager was born Nov. 27, 1931 in Old Harbor, Alaska. She is survived by sons Andrew and Joseph Jager; daughters Nora Velez, Audrey Jager, Carol Nelson and Candace Daniels; seventeen grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Anchorage resident Kyle Arthur James, 21, died Dec. 22, 2005, in Girdwood. No service is planned. Kyle was born May 21, 1984, in Kodiak. He loved watching movies, drawing and spending time with his friends. He is survived by his father and stepmother, Don and Julie James of Condon, Ore.; mother, Daun James of Kodiak; sisters, Amber James of Portland, Ore., and Erin James of Anchorage; nephew, Alika James of Portland, Ore.; niece Shayla Espiritu of Anchorage; stepsister, Shanna Odegaurd, stepbrothers, Brandon and Joel Odegaurd; grandfather, Don James of Condon; and many cousins, aunts and uncles in Alaska and the Lower 48. He was preceded in death by two grandmothers, Sarah James and Carol James. Arrangements are with Anchorage Funeral Home and Crematory.

JOHNSON James Jorgen Johnson (1919-1958) Mr. Johnson, known as "The Screaming Swede," was raised in the Alaska Peninsula - Aleutian Island - Kodiak area. As Captain of BSP511 in the U. S. Army, Jimmy rescued 400 passengers and crew members aboard the Steamship "Yukon" which ran aground east of Seward in 1946 during a blinding snowstorm. For his act of heroism, Jimmy received medal at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. After leaving the military, Jimmy was a fisherman around Cook Inlet. He died as he had lived, wild, woolly and one superior Alaskan boatman. Buried in Angelus Cemetery in Anchorage.
JOSEPH Lifelong Alaskan resident Michael J.P. Joseph, 20, a trapper and Kodiak resident, died April 26, 1991 in Kodiak. A funeral was held May 3 at St. Peter Fisherman Catholic Church in Toksook Bay. Burial will be in the Toksook Bay Cemetery. Mr. Joseph was born Aug. 4, 1970, in Bethel. He is survived by his father, John of Anchorage; his mother, Sophie, of Kodiak; his brother, Albert, and sister, Molly, of Anchorage; and his grandmother, Anesia Andrew of Bethel. Local arrangements were by Kehl's Forest Lawn Mortuary and Crematory. 18


KINNEAR, BLAKE H. 73, died Dec. 16 (1995) in Washington. He crewed on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife cutter Crane and ran the cutter Grizzly Bear before getting involved with the fishing industry in 1951. He crewed on boats and worked for fish processors in Port Graham, Seldovia and Uganik. He also was a partner in the Pacific Pearl cannery in Kodiak. He had been a manager for Pan Alaska Fisheries and Trident Fisheries. In 1989 he helped direct the Kodiak fleet in the cleanup of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. (4/96)
LaLANDE Max N. LaLande.(1912-1999) Max was born to be a baker and in 1942 he brought his skill to Alaska. He became a contractor to the military during WWII and kept our troops sustained with baked goods. Later, in Kodiak, he started several businesses which culminated in Kodiak Bakery. Max moved to Anchorage in 1958 and ran Tudor Market until he retired. After his retirement, the Anchorage Pioneer's Home was the beneficiary of his white thumb for the next 19 years. He loved to tell how he obtained vintage 1880 sourdough from Sourdough Ed in the Aleutians in 1942 and continued to use it for many years thereafter. Buried in Angelus Cemetery in Anchorage.
LeDOUX Following an intense, yearlong battle with cancer, longtime Kodiak resident Shirley LeDoux, 74, died peacefully in her sleep Jan. 1, 2006 A viewing will be from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the Kodiak Mortuary. A service is tentatively scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday at Kodiak Bible Chapel. A reception will be afterward. Mrs. LeDoux was born on Sept. 2, 1931, in Minnesota to Stella and William Zackariason. As a child she loved to read and work around her parents' farm. She was very active in all aspects of school life, including playing in the band, acting in school performances and editing the yearbook. In 1965, she moved with her family to Kodiak, where she resided until her death.In 1973, after the death of her husband, Loyde, she went to work to support her large family. She worked in several local businesses, including Safeway, where she retired several years ago after many years of service. Her family wrote: "Gramma Shirley, as she became known to many, loved to greet her many friends, chatting about their families and 'The Braves.' Shirley was always a fixture at her children's and grandchildren's Little League baseball and high school basketball games, where she cheered on the Bears with her friends. "Shirley enjoyed attending performances of all kinds at the high school auditorium, visiting with her friends and taking long rides around Kodiak, enjoying the scenery of the island she loved. She also spent countless hours in the kitchen making lunches for her friends and baking cookies, sticky buns and other treats. Mrs. LeDoux was preceded in death by her son, Kurt; daughter, Lynn; grandson, Daniel; brothers, Buddy and Walter Zackariason; and sister, Irene.In addition to her many grandchildren, she is survived by her sister, Vernette Houle, and six sons and their wives, Mark and Mary of Arizona, Larry and Jeannie of Kodiak, Jeff and Viviann of Kodiak, Gene and Jane of Pennsylvania, Jon and Virginia of California, and James and Patty of Idaho.

NELSON John (Johnny) Nelson, Sr.
(March 29, 2011) John (Johnny) Alfred Nelson Sr., 96, died peacefully Monday, March 28, 2011, at home in Port Lions, with family by his side. He was born March 31, 1914, in Afognak to Alfred Nelson and Irene Petellin Nelson, the first born of 11 children.His funeral services were held in Port Lions on March 31 on what would have been his 97th birthday.His nephew, Father Alexei of Cordova, officiated at the service held at the Nativity of the Theotokos. Pall bearers were grandsons Michael Nelson, Alvin Nelson Jr., Sidney Hoedel, Kelvin Nelson, Colver Sonnentag, Arnie Jay Nelson and Henry Orth V. Robby John Hoedel was the cross bearer.As a youth Johnny worked with his father Alfred at the fish hatchery in Litnik, and he had many fond memories of that time that he liked to recount to his children and grandchildren. He and his father would row a skiff to Afognak once a month to get supplies for their family in Litnik. He would then have to walk about five miles with a heavy load on his back. While at the fish hatchery, Johnny watched a fellow play the steel guitar and taught himself to play. He ordered his first steel guitar from the Sears Roebuck Catalog. He always played the steel guitar at the town dances and said that was why he never learned to dance.Johnny along with his father played a vital role in transplanting Elk to Afognak Island. He told of setting up the planks and helping to guide the elk out of the skiff to land using alfalfa to entice them.Many of his years were spent commercial fishing on the KFC-00 with his sons as crewmembers. The fishing boat was then later run by four of his sons.After the 1964 earthquake, Johnny along with other men from Afognak went in search of a place to relocate the village and mutually decided on Settler’s Cove. His carpenter skills were put to use on many of the homes in the new village. He also served on the first city council of Port Lions.He worked as a boat builder/carpenter for Kadiak Fisheries and Columbia Wards in Port Bailey for many years. He was a master carpenter and one of his first projects was building a kitchen play set for his younger sisters with the hammer he received from his father. Up until he was 95 he spent at least four hours a day working in his shop and gave many of his projects away to loved ones.His sense of humor remained intact; and even become more pronounced in his last months as he laughed along with his children as they cared for him. Smiles came more readily to his face as he expressed his gratitude. No matter the time of day as he went by his wife Helen sitting in her chair he would say, “Good morning, Mom.” Every day we are here is a good morning!He was a great role model for his many children on the importance of hard work. He leaves behind a legacy of loving his large family and being concerned about their health and wellbeing while his health was failing. His regret was that “I just don’t want to leave you.” However, we know that we will one day see Daddy again.Johnny is survived by his wife of 60 years, Helen Nelson, his children John Nelson Jr. (Vivian), Marjorie Garretson, Alvin Nelson (Arlene), Cecil Nelson, Gerald Nelson (Margaret), Robert Nelson (Galena), Arnold Nelson (Elizabeth), Janice Stiller (Marlyn), Harry Nelson (Kathy), Candace Nelson (Bert Bendixen), Marci Orth (Henry), Thomas Nelson (Dawn), 36 grandchildren and 41 great-grandchildren. His grandson Robert Nelson Jr. preceded him in death.
OPHEIM Edward Nicholas Opheim, Sr.(February 24, 2011) Edward Nicholas OpheimSr. passed away on Feb. 24, 2011. Grandpa, as he was affectionately called by everyone, was born on May 10, 1910, in Unga, Alaska. Ed grew up cod fishing with his father here in Kodiak. They fished cod by rowing their dories, casting their nets and pulling their catch in by hand. His stories of those days never failed to enthrall his listeners. He led a very full life on his homestead in Pleasant Harbor, Spruce Island. Lifelong fisherman, logger, sawmill owner, fox farmer, cattle rancher and builder of the famous Opheim dory; his beautiful dories are still plying Alaska’s waters today. His talent and knowledge passed to his sons Ed Jr. and Norman, who carry on the tradition of dory building.Ed lived for 85 years in Pleasant Harbor building a beautiful home and two large boat-building shops. Many people from all over the world would come to visit — he always welcomed them. Ed was an avid letter writer, corresponding with many people from all corners of the world. Ed read every book that he could get his hands on and it showed in his conversation. He could discuss any subject you wanted with knowledge. He never stopped wanting to learn more about the world. In his later years, Ed wrote and published three books: “Old Mike of Monks Lagoon,” “Memoirs of a Cod Fisherman’s Son” and “The Day the Meadowlark Sang,” each proving that Ed was a talented writer.It is hard to summarize 100 years of living. Grandpa was alive and actually saw and sailed on the large sailing ships of last century. He passed by Native Indians living in real teepees in his trek through Montana in his childhood. He actually knew men named One-Eyed Mike, Three-fingered Gus and One Arm Frank; hardworking fisherman of the last century.For the last two years, Grandpa has lived in the Kodiak Care Center with nurses and staff who truly cared for him. His sense of humor never failed and his attitude of being grateful of each day no matter rain or shine will be remembered by those who knew and loved him. Ed had six children. His daughters Edwina Anderson and Edna Motes preceded him in death. Still kicking are Ed’s four sons, Ed Opheim Jr. of Kodiak, Chris Opheim of Soldotna, Norman Opheim of Seldovia and David Opheim of Sunny Cove, Alaska. Ed also had a multitude of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Last, but certainly not least, 100 years of friendships with people all over the world.
OSTROSKY Harold 'Hank' Ostrosky, 71, died Oct. 3, 1997, in Anchorage. A service will be from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at Fairview Recreation Center. Burial will follow at Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery. A potlatch celebration featuring North American and Pacific Island indigenous performers will be conducted from 4 to 8 p.m. at the recreation center. In addition to family members, honorary pallbearers will include representatives of the following groups: Yupik, Inupiat, Athabaskan, Dena'ina, Eyak, Tlingit, Haida, Hawaiian, Ozinki, Oneida and Lakota. They are: Zeck Koa Donahue, Daniel Ostrosky, George, Archie and Clayton Gottchalk, Etok, Gary Harrison, Mary Ann Mills, Thomas McGloin, Ralph Mancuso, Gary Patton, Tom Able, Androcles Kaawa, Ron Barnes, Nick Katelnikoff, Pam Colorado, Richard Grass, Marie SmithJones, Peter Pitka, Moses Pavilla, Liko Martin, Harry Davidson, Drew Froelich, Dr. Richard Haard, Jim Sykes, Mark Clark and Peter Ruocco. Mr. Ostrosky was born Aug. 2, 1926, in Torrington, Conn. An Alaska resident since 1948, he lived and worked in various places. He was a bush pilot and cattle wrangler on Afognak Island from 1948-1956. A commercial fisherman from 1948-1990, he was also an electronics technician from 1957-1967, and publisher/editor of the Bristol Bay News 44 from 1960-1971. At the time of his death he had been a human rights and sovereignty advocate/consultant to various indigenous peoples throughout North America and the Pacific since 1969, and official representative for the traditional elders council of Atmautluak and Tununak, Alaska, since 1987. His children wrote: ''Hank was jailed twice as a political prisoner, once on 'littering' charges and later he spent over six months in jail for saying the words: 'You have no jurisdiction here.' '' ''He was a champion of people everywhere, fighting for their indigenous rights and titles. His main purpose in life was to develop, for future generations, what he called a 'psycho-socio-bio-economic system.' ''Our dad taught us the meaning of integrity, dignity, honor, and unselfish generosity. He was a master craftsman of words. Always articulate, he reconstructed the language to eliminate the possibility of its corruption and to more accurately depict the truth. He never compromised his ideals and integrity, and the power of his being and his presence on our Earth made us feel protected and safe from injustice and oppression. We fervently hope that those of us left will find the courage to rage, rage against the dying of the light.'' Mr. Ostrosky is survived by his daughters, Lori of Alaska and Julianne of Hawaii; grandchildren, Zeck and Ryder Donahue, both of Hawaii, and Emerald Kaitryn of Alaska; sister, Barbara Mancuso; brothers, Daniel and Edward; nephews, Ralph, Steve and Mike Mancuso; niece, Darlene; and son-in-law, Thomas McGloin. He was preceded in death by the mother of his children and the woman he loved, Kathryn Louise Baker Ostrosky, and Zeck Martin Ostrosky. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Harold ''Hank'' Ostrosky Memorial Fund at First National Bank of Anchorage, and later to the Hank Ostrosky Indigenous Rights and Titles Foundation. Arrangements by Evergreen Memorial Chapels.
PETERSON Evelyn R. Peterson(March 4, 2011) Evelyn R. Peterson passed away on Friday, March 4, 2011, at 5:10 p.m. at Providence Hospital in Kodiak. She had family and her favorite priest and nurse by her side. Evelyn was born in Ouzinkie, April 29, 1957, to Emil and Alice Anderson. She took life by the horns and remained headstrong
SHUGAK Dora Darlene Shugak(March 13, 2011) Anchorage resident Dora Darlene Shugak, 51, died Sunday, March 13, 2011, at Alaska Native Medical Center. A visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Thursday at the Russian Orthodox Church, 401 Turpin Road. A service will follow at 2 p.m. at the church. Pallbearers include Ron Shugak, Troy Shugak, Mike Katt, John Tubin and Luke Tubin. Burial will take place at the Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery.Dora was born Aug. 10, 1959 in Kodiak. Dora is survived by her sons, Ronald Shugak of Anchorage and Mike Katt of Edinburg, Texas; brothers, Ben Shugak of Florida and Traefime Shugak of Anchorage; sister, Lorraine Tubin of Anchorage; aunts, Neta Graves of Old Harbor and Bessie Azuyak of Old Harbor; uncle, Tony Azuyak of Old Harbor; and granddaughter, Katherine Rae Peterson.Dora was preceded in death by her mother and father, Mike Shugak and Lucy Shugak.Arrangements are with Janssen’s Evergreen Memorial Chapel,
SHURAVLOFF Martha Shuravloff died peacefully Sept. 3, 2010, in Anchorage. She was 94.A visitation will be at 6 p.m., followed by a service at 7 p.m., Sunday at Evergreen Memorial Chapel. The Rev. John Zabinko will officiate. A second service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Russian Orthodox Church in Kodiak.Martha was born June 19, 1916, in Kodiak, where she and her husband, Nick, raised their nine children. Martha was a homemaker for most of her life and enjoyed cooking and crocheting. Some of her happiest times were spent preparing for her traditional family Sunday dinners and working in her garden. A fun-loving mother, grandmother, great- and great-great-grandmother, she will be dearly missed.Martha is survived by her daughter Patricia "Teisha" Harris and son-in-law Peter of Anchorage; sons and daughters-in-law, Nick Shuravloff Jr., Michael Shuravloff and Jacquie, Walter Shuravloff and Gloria, Richard Shuravloff and Jennie, all of Anchorage, and Marty Shuravloff and Andrea of Kodiak; and many grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.Martha was preceded in death by her husband, Nick Sr.; and daughters, Nettie, Ione and Edna.Arrangments are with Janssen's Evergreen Memorial Chapel
SIMEONOFF Helen Simeonoff (January 8, 2011) Helen Jane Simeonoff, 69, known for her brilliant watercolors, died peacefully Jan. 8, 2011, at her Anchorage home after a long illness. Her daughter, Sharon Tylla, and longtime friend and cousin, Lydia Olsen, were at her side.A service was held Wednesday at the Alaska Native Heritage Center.She was born Oct. 23, 1941, to William “Bill” Simeonoff Jr. and Alexandra “Alice” Knagin in Kodiak.A graduate of Kodiak High School, she worked for several Lower 48 law firms and, during the 1980s, the Anchorage Police Department.In 1993, she left permanent employment to launch a career as a watercolor artist. She studied art at Southwestern College in San Diego and the University of Alaska at Adak, where she was deeply influenced by artist Rush Cole. She traveled to Italy to further develop her style.At first, her work was based on Tlingit and Haida themes, but her painting took a turn when her Native peers asked why she didn’t focus on her own Alutiiq culture. Soon she began painting Orthodox churches, Kodiak masks and kayak paddles, Alutiiq dress and other subjects.Simeonoff donated many of the paintings to friends and museums, including the Alutiiq Museum in Kodiak. Her paintings were hung in the Springhill Suites in Fairbanks, the Talkeetna and Windsong lodges, the Marriott Hotel, Residence Inn and many other public places. Some of her works sell for $12,000 or more. Her first painting went for $20.She received special awards and certificates for paintings and photography. She traveled twice to France to study the Pinart collection of Kodiak Island masks and other works of art at the Chateau Museum in Boulogne-sur-Mer.Ms. Simeonoff enjoyed camping, exploring, gardening, glass fusion, stained glass, reading and researching family history.“She’s as colorful as her art/paintings,” said daughter Sharon Tylla.“What I liked most about Helen was her childlike spirit,” Lydia Olsen said. “She lived life on her terms and she died on her terms. She was a gal of many talents and gifts. Helen loved her people and her culture.”“Helen gave us much through her art work, her compassion at heart, but mostly her love for her Native people and through the research and preservations of the Sugpiaq culture of Kodiak Island,” said her friend and cousin, Maggie Napoleon.Ms. Simeonoff was preceded in death by her parents; sister, Irene Fischer; and brother, Ronnie Simeonoff.She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Sharon and Rob Tylla; son, Robert “Rob” Luther; grandson, Garrett Lane Schmidt; brother, Edward Spracher and wife Michelle; niece, Alonda Spracher and husband Kris Tibbitts; nephew, Jason Spracher; nieces, Dawn Marie Talcott and Judith Simeonoff; nephew, Vincent Simeonoff; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.
SPRINGHILL SPRINGHILL, BETTY CARTER 78, a teacher and tireless supporter of causes in Kodiak, died April 1 (1995) in Anchorage. She and her late husband, John, owned a Kodiak jewelry store. After the 1964 tidal wave, they rebuilt their store on skids--so it would float if another disaster occurred-and renamed the business "Dad's Ark." (8/95)
STAFFORD Lana Margaret Stafford was born on 8 Sep 1924 in Lugerville, WI. She died on 5 Aug 1989 in Soldotna, AK. She was buried in Kodiak Cemetery, Kodiak, AK. Lana married Frank Matthew Kozak on 17 Nov 1945 in Phillips, WI. Frank was born on 29 Mar 1917 in at home on the farm near Crane Chase Lake.. He died on 10 May 1990 in Soldotna, AK. He was buried in Kodiak Cemetery in Kodiak, AK .
SUNDBERG Eugene “Gene” Sundberg (October 28, 2010) Eugene Sundberg, known lovingly to many as Gene, was born Sept. 14, 1933. He passed away last Thursday morning at the Alaskan Native Medical Center in Anchorage. He will be deeply missed by so many who love him. He considered himself to be a very lucky man to have lived during what he considered to be perhaps the best period in history. Gene left us with his own words:“I know a lot of people have said the same of their own periods of life. There were good times and bad times but it seems my life fit into more of the good times.“I was born just after the Great Depression, and if there was one in Kodiak I grew up through it. We were not rich but we didn’t seem to lack for much. My dad, Fred Sundberg, worked from the time he married my mother, Edith ( Norton) Sundberg, and so was able to provide the basics for me, my sister Marilyn and youngest sister Glenace. We rented several places in Kodiak before my dad built us a permanent residence on Cope Street. We went to school in Kodiak and I graduated from high school in 1952. We played basketball and took the Fur Rendezvous Class B Championship three of the four years and one year in second place. When I was in the sixth grade, I spotted a cute girl from Idaho and Phyllis Sullivan and I began walking home together as we lived in the same neighborhood. It wasn’t long before we walked home holding hands.“My mother died when I was 16 and my dad in 1952 leaving me to become the head of the family. On May 1, 1954, Phyllis and I got married and now with my immediate family I set out to provide for us all. I went to work after graduation for O. Kraft and Son, a general mercantile firm, as a stock clerk, working up to freight hauler and eventually as warehouse man, responsible for ordering the groceries. In 1969, I became the acting general manager until I left the firm in 1976 after 24 years.“In the meantime Phyllis and I started our own family with the birth of our first son, David. A year later I got drafted into the Army. When I reported to my new company commander he asked what I was doing in the army with five dependents. He asked (basically, ordered) me to get paperwork from my place of work, bank and others asking for my release from the army. He thought I was needed more at home and within three months released me from the active Army with a hardship discharge and I filled out my military obligation in the National Guard. I ended up as a weapons instructor for everything from a .45 caliber pistol to the 105 mm recoilless rifle and earned the rank of sergeant first class. The Guard was good for me as I had duties to the public as well as the military. My unit was in charge of putting on the King Crab Festival parade one year. Kodiak had a local TV station and we would have programs to bring the locals up to speed on what was happening in the Guard. We had a recruiter on board who built the company up to 110 men. It was an exciting time.“During my work at Krafts I had an opportunity to join the Kodiak Elks. I served 50 years in this organization and went through the all the chairs to the top position. I also began serving on several boards of directors including the Kodiak Electric Association (37 years) the hospital board ( five years) the Afognak Native Corporation Board (24 years) the Elks board of trustees (six years) and a couple of others for short times for a total of 75 years of service to the Kodiak community.“After I left Krafts in 1976, I joined the Koniag Regional Corporation as their land manager where I stayed for seven years. While my job was to get lands conveyed to the corporation I became a part of a team to attempt a land exchange with the federal government. We worked four years and traded lands we owned on the mainland for the north half of Afognak Island. On Dec. 2, 1980, I and other members of our team were at the White House in Washington, D.C., to witness President Jimmy Carter sign the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act, which contained the Koniag Amendment. It was a very interesting and exciting process to go through. I returned to my regular work in getting land conveyances until I left Koniag in 1983.“It wasn’t long before I had an opportunity to go to work for the Kodiak Island Borough School District as the purchasing supervisor for the district. I was responsible for keeping the central stores supplies on hand for the teachers and kept the fixed asset records. I, not being the best at my computer, asked people better than I to help me develop our manually kept records onto the computer. Within a year I had an automatic ordering system for central stores and a program for keeping fixed asset records — a gigantic change. Other accomplishments were made to make things easier. I worked there for 12 years and retired.“I felt proud of my three careers. In each I felt I had accomplished something good for the people of Kodiak. And at home because of Paul, our youngest son, we became a fishing family and we prowled the rivers and beaches. When he was 13, he wanted us to get a boat and be able to catch Halibut at Buoy 4 and fish and picnic at other beaches. This was all well and good but I had no idea how to run a 17-foot Boston whaler— but I (we) learned — somehow! When we first launched the boat in the town side boat ramp I backed it into the water. Shortly Phyllis yelled at me that the boat was taking on water. I knew that couldn’t be so because we had plugged the three holes in the bottom. So I pulled the boat out of the water only to find water coming out of the stern. I had forgotten to put the plug in the little round hole. I learned a good lesson. Its never happened again in over 50 years.“Phyllis and I have had fun watching the boys grow up and have been very proud of their progress in becoming men. However, Phillip joined the Coast Guard and was killed in 1977. It will be great to see him again. David became a gas/diesel/refrigeration mechanic and retired from Horizon after 30 years. I thought I took early retirement at 63, David took his at 52! Our son Paul graduated from Seattle University in 1984. He is now in real estate in the Seattle area living in a new house with his wife. He is the first and only Sundberg who graduated from Seattle University. Phyllis and I are very proud of them.”Gene is preceded in death by his parents Fred and Catherine, his sister Marylin Lyle and his son Philip. Gene is survived by his sons David and wife Mary, Paul and wife Gina; grandchildren Malina, Justin and Jared; great-grandchildren Caitlyn and Austin Hacker; sister Glenace and husband Ed Perkins; and many nieces and nephews. Gene is related to many of the old Kodiak families too numerous to mention by name.In lieu of flowers donations can be made to Saint Innocent’s Academy or St. Herman’s Theological Seminary.And a final word from Gene:“So this life is ended and it is now time to check out the new adventures that are surely in store for me. I hope to see a lot of the people I have known in this life and I hope to see the rest of you, my friends, someday … somewhere nice. Goodbye and God bless you, and as one of our old friends used to say, we’ll see you when the wind shifts.”
TAGUCHI TAGUCHI, ISAMU "SAM" Juneau resident Isamu "Sam" Taguchi, 77, died Dec. 20 (1995) in Juneau. His City Café was an important gathering place for generations of local politicians, tradesmen and fishermen. Taguchi came from Seattle in 1935 to work in a fish cannery at Shearwater Bay on Kodiak Island before coming in the late 1930s to Juneau, where he worked at the Juneau Laundry. In Juneau when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred, Taguchi was asked to help with the evacuation of Japanese Americans to an assembly camp in Puyallup, Wash. He later was reunited with his family at the Minidoka Camp in Hunt, Idaho. He then moved to Minnesota. Returning to Juneau in 1949, he was offered a partnership in the City Café, eventually assuming full ownership. The restaurant moved to its present location around the time the downtown ferry terminal was built. In 1982 Taguchi sold the business, later opening "Taguchi's Fine Chow" with his brother, Gim. He retired several years ago. Taguchi was a lifelong sports enthusiast, his family wrote. At age 10, he appeared on two Seattle Times sports-quiz radio shows, in which he placed first both times. While living in Chicago during the 1940s, he organized and coached the Chicago Huskies basketball team, made up of former Seattleites. Taguchi also sponsored a successful Juneau basketball team, the City Café, in the '50s. He also was an avid bowler and sponsored a City Café bowling team. During the 1960s, Gov. Bill Egan appointed Taguchi as Alaska's Commissioner of Athletics. - Chris Russ, Juneau Empire (4/96)


VOGLER, JOE - A miner, land developer and founder of the Alaska Independence Party, was 80 years old when he disappeared in 1993. After 16 months of investigation, his body was unearthed from a shallow grave near Fairbanks on Oct. 12 (1994). A Fairbanks man was indicted in December for his murder. Born in a sod dugout on the plains of Kansas, Vogler was 28 when he arrived in Alaska in 1942. Although armed with a law degree from the University of Kansas, he worked construction on the military bases, first at Kodiak, later in interior Alaska. He worked hard, and his estate includes extensive real estate holdings around Fairbanks and mining claims in other parts of the Interior. Vogler was an outspoken critic of government and advocated Alaska's secession from the Union. He made war on his neighbors, local government and the state, sometimes appearing in court as his own lawyer. He saved his most spectacular verbal volleys for federal officials, especially those of the Park Service who imposed control on his mining and land development activities. When his admirers looked at him, they saw John Wayne on a D-8 Cat-a no-nonsense, stand-up guy with the guts to take on the feds 24 hours a day. He was not a Bircher or even a conservative. Sometimes-when he called for local hire, job training and better house-he even sounded like a socialist. He also was unusually tolerant of the difficulties young people face. Vogler made three unsuccessful bids for governor under the Alaskan Independence banner. His last appearance on Alaska's political stage was in 1990, when he lent the Alaska Independence Party to former Gov. Wally Hickel so Hickel would have a spot on the general election ballot. At his request, Vogler will be buried in Canada, beyond reach of Washington bureaucrats.
WAMSER Richard Thomas “Dick” Wamser (December 29, 2010) Longtime Alaska and Washington resident Richard Thomas “Dick” Wamser, 74, died Dec. 29, 2010, at the Alaska Native Medical Center.Mr. Wamser wanted to be close to his mother and father, requesting that his ashes be laid to rest in the Kodiak Cemetery. Burial, a memorial service and gathering will be held in the spring, possibly on May 20, Dick’s birthday. Notice of the services will be published in the Anchorage Daily News and the Kodiak Daily Mirror.Mr. Wamser was born May 20, 1936, in Afognak Village, to Charley and Elice (von Scheele) Wamser. He was baptized as a young child into the Russian Orthodox faith. After graduating high school, Dick received his master’s degree from Columbia University in New York. He proudly served 13 years as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, receiving an honorable discharge.Dick returned to Alaska to carry on the family tradition of commercial fishing in Bristol Bay from the mid-1960s to the mid 1980s. His various gillnetters included, most famously, The Phantom. During the 1980s and 1990s, Dick was the vessel owner and skipper of the salmon tenders: The Ben B and M/V Midas.Dick resided in Anchorage his last four years, becoming a co-guardian of his grand-niece, Dorrie Wamser. He devoted time to ensuring Dorrie was secure and provided for. He was able to reconnect with family and friends, especially enjoying playful time with grand-nieces and grand-nephews.His family said: “Dick was an independent, self-made man. Dick (“Uncle Dick”) believed first and foremost in education and college. He also loved flowering plants, and poinsettias, delivering them to family and friends at Christmastime, his favorite holiday. Dick’s greatest love was the ocean.”Dick is survived by his brother, Bernard Wamser; nieces, Terrilyn Wamser, Marcia (Wamser) Anderson, and Susan Wamser, numerous grand-nieces and grand-nephews, and many cousins.He was preceded in death by his father, Charley Wamser, mother, Elice (von Scheele) Wamser; and nephews, James Wamser and Charley Wamser. Dick will be dearly missed by all his family and friends!
WEST Former Eagle River resident Dorris Ann Bock West, 82, died peacefully Sept. 29, 2005, at Providence Care Center in Kodiak. A service will be at 11 a.m. today at Community Baptist Church in Kodiak. A potluck lunch will be afterward in the church fellowship hall.An obituary will be published later.
WILLIAMS Roger Williams, 63, died June 16, 2001, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Williams was born March 27, 1938, in Kodiak, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Nida H. Williams; daughters, Bertha A. Andrew, Betty J. Wilson and Geraldine Harris-Watson.
WILSON Harry Harold. Wilson, 55, died February 19, 2000, at the Alaska Regional Hospital. Mr. Wilson was born in Kodiak, Alaska, on May 28, 1944. He is survived by his sisters Arlene Trefry and Debbie Redmond.
YOVINO Frances Adela Yovino (October 15, 2010) Frances Adela Yovino, 59 formerly of Kodiak, Alaska passed away Friday, Oct. 15, 2010, at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, Wash. She was born June 29, 1951, to Gus and Pauline Yovino. She met the love of her life, Thomas “Mickey” Sheridan, in Alaska. Together they moved to Usk, Wash., where they lived out their lives surrounded by their children and grandchildren. She was a homemaker and enjoyed a variety of hobbies. She loved her family and all of her friends she met along the way. She was preceded in death by her husband Mickey Sheridan; mother Pauline Yovino and brother John Yovino. She is survived by her father Gus (Donna) Yovino; brothers Gus Jr. (Toni) Yovino, Bill (Cindy) and their families; sister Mary Ann (Reynold) Morris of Alaska. She also leaves behind son Samuel (Maggie) Sheridan; grandchildren Ashlyn Sheridan, Jaden Cox, Ignace Sheridan and Anjaleah Sheridan; son Robert Yovino and Kim Bottenfield; grandchildren Eternity, Infinity and Trinity Bottenfield, Destin, Dakoda and Denali Yovino; son William Westlake and grandchildren Brandy Westlake and Alexis Sullivan and daughter Pam Boyles. A memorial service was held Oct. 21, at 11a.m. at Sherman-Knapp Funeral Home at 423 W. Second St. in Newport. Inurnment took place Oct. 22, at Newport Cemetery. A reception followed at the Kalispel Tribal Community Center

Return to Home Page

This page was last modified: Monday, 01-Aug-2011 13:42:12 MDT  

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 10/1/2009 - thanks for stopping by!

Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.