Search billions of records on



Welcome to to the Alaska GenWeb Project. We are Ray Ensing and Heather Tallbot, Co-Coordinators of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough of the Alaska GenWeb Project. Please feel free to make this site your own. You are welcome to submit any data, photos, or other information that you think would be helpful for genealogical researchers. Items can be submitted as Word documents, Excel Documents, or scans.
Search this site
Harvest Button WHAT'S NEW? Easily determine what material has been added since your last visit.
Harvest Button AIRCRAFT OWNERS A list of owners of all aircraft registered in Matanuska-Susitna Borough. Sorted by owner name.
Harvest Button BIBLIOGRAPHY Under development. Please submit any good local history sources that you are aware of.
Harvest Button BIOGRAPHIES Under development.
Harvest Button BOAT OWNERSHIP A list of all boats registered in Matanuska-Susitna Borough. Sorted by vessel name.
Valley Memory Garden
Latitude(DEC) 61.5597222 Longitude(DEC) -149.0411111
Latitude(DMS) 613335N Longitude(DMS) 1490228W
Map Name Anchorage C-6
Palmer Pioneer Cemetery
Transcription Needed
Latitude(DEC) 61.6080556 Longitude(DEC) -149.0927778
Latitude(DMS) 613629N Longitude(DMS) 1490534W
Map Name Anchorage C-6
Harvest Button CENSUS RECORDS Coleen Mielke has done a fabulous job of transcribing various census records in Alaska (offsite)
Harvest Button CHURCHES Under development.
Harvest Button DEATHS Extracted from the Social Security Death Index
Harvest Button DEEDS Edward Barnum, Palmer Recorder
1800 Glenn Highway, Suite #7
Palmer, AK 99645
(907) 745-3080
(Fax) 745-0958
  Palmer Recording District covers the following areas:
Big Lake * Chickaloon * Cottonwood * Eska * Hatcher Pass * Houston * Jonesville * Kashwitna * Knik * Lucky Short * Matanuska * Palmer * Pittman * Sheep Mountain Inn * Sutton * Wasilla * Willow * Willow Creek
Harvest Button FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (MORMON) Wasilla Family History Center
901 Bogard Rd
Wasilla, Alaska
Phone: 907-376-9774
Hours: T,Th 10am-8:30pm; 2nd & 3rd Sat 10am-2pm.
Closed: Closed all Major Holidays.
Harvest Button LINKS Visit Cyndis List to find out where else to research.
Harvest Button LOOKUPS We need you!
Harvest Button MAPS Nice collection of Alaska maps to help you with your research
Harvest Button MATANUSKA COLONY Info on the original 203 families that settled in the valley in the 1930s
Harvest Button NATIVE CULTURE MAP Shows the locations of the various native cultures of Southern Alaska on this map, courtesy of W. "Bill" Jones of Stratford, Florida
Harvest Button NEWSPAPERS - CURRENT The Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
Harvest Button NEWSPAPERS - HISTORIC This shows what newspapers were available and when.
Harvest Button OBITUARIES Feel free to submit your obituaries
Harvest Button PHOTOS Under development. Feel free to submit photos for posting.
Harvest Button PIONEERS Under development.
Harvest Button QUERY / MESSAGE BOARDS These have been upgraded and combined with the Ancestry Boards. Post/View queries, bios, bible records, deeds, obits, pensions, and wills here. These are a valuable resource and all genealogists need to learn how to use them.
Harvest Button RESOURCES Matanuska-Susitna Borough
350 E Dahlia Ave
Palmer, AK 99645-6411
Phone: (907)745-4801
Fax: (907)745-9669
  City of Wasilla
  City of Palmer
231 W. Evergreen Avenue
Palmer, AK 99645
907-745-3271 Fax: 907-745-0930
Harvest Button SURNAMES Research your family name through the surname boards
Alexander Creek
No information available. Located on USGS map Tyonek B-2
Big Lake
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-8
Broad Pass
History: Name taken from pass in which it is located; reported by The Alaska RR. on its 1922 timetable. Description: population 10, mile 304.3 on The Alaska RR. in Broad Pass, 12 mi. SW of Cantwell and 45 mi. SW of Healy, Talkeetna Mts.
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-6
History: The Caswell post office was established in 1929; discontinued in 1931.
Description: mile 202.3 on The Alaska RR. 15 mi. N of Willow and 52 mi. N of Anchorage, Cook Inlet Low.
No information available. Located on USGS map Talkeetna B-1
Chelatna Lodge
History: Local name reported in 1945 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
Description: at S end of Chelatna Lake, 42 mi. NW of Talkeetna, Alaska Range
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage D-4
History: This station was named in 1916 for nearby Chulitna River and has been in use since the opening of the line. Description: mile 273.8 on The Alaska RR, 43 mi. NE of Talkeetna, Talkeetna Mts.
History: Name reported as a flag stop by The Alaska RR on its 1922 timetable.
Description: mile 297.1 on The Alaska RR., 7 mi. SW of Broad Pass RR. station and 51 mi. SW of Healy, Talkeetna Mts.
History: Name of a roadhouse and camp reported by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1911. Description: on E bank of Cottonwood Creek, 16 mi. SW of Palmer, Cook Inlet Low.
History: The Alaskan Engineering Commission Annual Report for 1916 lists the name Dead Horse for this camp along the Alaska RR. route. As a RR. station the name was changed in 1922 to Curry. It was named for Charles Forrest Curry, 1858-1935, of Sacramento, Calif. a member of Congress. It had a population of 44 in 1958, but this decreased rapidly after the closing of the railroad agency a year later. Description: population mile 3, 248.5 on The Alaska RR., on E bank of Susitna River, 20 mi. NE of Talkeetna, Talkeetna Mts.
History: Mining camp established about 1907. A post office named "McKinley" existed here in 1908-09, and in 1910 R. H. Sargent reported the camp name as "Valdez Creek." In 1922 a post office was again established, but this time it was called "Denali", the Indian name for Mount McKinley. Its 1940 population was 63. a2 Denali Pass a3 in Mount McKinley National Park, at head of Harper Glacier, between Churchill Peaks of Mount McKinley, Alaska Range.Description: population 4 E of Susitna River, near mouth of Valdez Vreek, 67 mi. SE of Healy, Alaska Range
History: Name of a mining community and railroad station on a branch of The Alaska Railroad. A post office was established here in 1917, discontinued in 1922, but reinstated in 1943 (Ricks, 1965, p. 19). Description: population 53, on Eska Creek, 12 mi. NE of Palmer
Eureka Roadhouse
History: Name published in 1951 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS); derived from Eureka Creek which drains Tahneta Lake (known also as Eureka Lake). Description: on the Glenn Highway 5 mi. NE of Tahneta Lake and 67 mi. NE of Palmer, Copper River Basin.
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-6
Gold Creek
History: This is the site of a flag stop on The Alaska Railroad which derives its name from nearby Gold Creek. This name was published in 1922 on the official timetable of The Alaska Railroad. It was called "Susitna River Station" in 1921 by the Chamber of Commerce of Seattle, Wash. Description: mile 263.2 on The Alaska RR., 34 mi. NE of Talkeetna, Talkeetna Mts.
"Houston Siding" was first listed on a blueprint map of the Alaska Railroad in 1917. Houston was incorporated as a city in 1966. A June 1996 wildfire destroyed more than 37,500 acres (152 km2) in the Houston and Big Lake area, including 433 buildings and homes valued at $8.9 million. Description: mile 174.9 on The Alaska RR., 29 mi. N of Anchorage
John Fitzgerald Kennedy City
History: Named on December 29, 1963 by members of the Bay City council for John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 1917-1963, 35th President of the United States. Mr. Byron Mallott, State Commissioner of Community and Regional Affairs reported in 1973 that there were no residents in the area to verify the existence of the City. Bay City was dissolved officialy by the Alaska State Legislature in March, 1974 (Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 4/24/73, p. 2) (Board on Geographic Names (BGN) files). Description: on NW shore of Knik Arm, 13 mi. N of Anchorage
History: Name of a railroad station and former mining camp listed in the 1922 Railway Guide Index. A post office established here in 1921 was discontinued in 1944 (Ricks, 1965, p. 29).
Description: population 97 (1950), E of Wishbone Hill, 11 mi. NE of Palmer
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage B-8
History: Name of a former Tanaina Indian village; reported by Eldridge and Muldrow (1900, map 3), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Description: site of an Indian village, at junction of Kroto Creek and Susitna River, 36 mi. NW of Anchorage
Lake Louise
No information available. Located on USGS map Gulkana B-6
Lazy Mountain
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-6
Lucky Shot Landing
History: Name of a mining camp reported in 1942 by Army Map Service (AMS). A post office was established here in 1933, using just the name Lucky Shot, but was discontinued in 1942 (Ricks, 1965, p. 40). Recent U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) maps indicate an airfield and five or six buildings at this site. The name is derived from the nearby Lucky Shot mine.
Description: population 10 (1940), at junction of Grubstake and Willow Creeks, 15 mi. NW of Palmer, Talkeetna Mts.
History: Village established as a railroad station about 1914 and named for the Matanuska River. A townsite was surveyed here in 1916 because this was the junction of the main railroad line and the Matanuska Branch to the coal fields. Description: population 50, mile 150.7 on The Alaska RR., in Matanuska Valley, 5.5 mi. SW of Palmer
Meadow Lakes
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-7
History: This place originated as a railroad construction camp and was so named in 1919 by the builders. Homesteaders settled here in fall of 1957. at distributary of South Fork Big River, flows E to Redoubt Bay, 28 mi. W of Kenai, Description: population 39, mile 209.3 on The Alaska Railroad, 17 mi. S of Talkeetna
Montana Creek
No information available. Located on USGS map Talkeetna A-1
History: Agricultural supply town, established as a railroad station on the Matanuska Branch of The Alaska RR. about 1916. The Palmer post office was established in 1917; discontinued in 1925. The Warton post office operated here from 1931 to 1935, and was then changed back to Palmer in 1935 (Ricks, 1965, p. 49, 50, 70). The town became the center of the Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Corporation administered by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior, the supply center of a colony of about 180 farm families from midwest United States in the 1930's. Its population was 150 in 1939 and 890 in 1950. It is thought to have been named for George Palmer, trader in the Knik Arm area in the late 1800's. Description: population 1,181, in Matanuska Valley, 37 mi. NE of Anchorage
History: Mining camp reported in 1934 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). office was located here from 1936 to 1939 (Ricks, 1965, p. 51). Description: on Peters Creek, 24 mi. NW of Talkeetna; Alaska Range
Point MacKenzie
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage B-8
No information available. Located on USGS map Tyonek D-4
History: Name listed as a flag stop on the railroad.
Description: population 4, mi. 215.3 on The Alaska Rr., 10 mi. S of Talkeetna
History: Petroff (1881, p. 40) listed the name "Sushetno" referring to a collection of 146 Kenai Indians "on and up the Sushetno River." The 1890 Census listed "Sushitna," population 142, and 27 houses. Swanton (1952, p. 538 and 539) referred to the village as Tanaina Indian. Susitna post office was established in 1906 and discontinued in 1943 (Ricks, 1965, p. 63).
Description: On the E bank of the Susitna River, 2 mi downstream from the mouth of the Yentna River, 30 mi. NW of Anchorage
History: RR. station and siding on the Matanuska Branch of The Alaska RR. founded about 1918. The Sutton post office was established in 1948 (Ricks, 1965, p. 63). Description: population 162, on Glenn Highway, 11 mi. NE of Palmer
History: This is reported to be the site of a Tanaina Indian village. Its present name was derived from that of the river. It developed as a major camp when the railroad was built; the village obtained a post office in 1916. A railroad station was opened to traffic here in 1920. Its population was 70 in 1920; 89 in 1930; 136 in 1939; and 106 in 1950. Description: population 76, mi. 226.7 on the Alaska RR., at junction of Talkeetna and Susitna Rivers, 80 mi. N of Anchorage
No information available. Located on USGS map Anchorage C-7
Trapper Creek
No information available. Located on USGS map Talkeetna B-1
History: Name of a station on The Alaska Railroad that came into being about 1916. A post office was established here in 1917. Established at the intersection of the Alaska Railroad and Old Carle Wagon Road, the city prospered at the expense of the nearby mining town of Knik. Historically entrepreneurial, the economic base shifted in the 1970s from small-scale agriculture and recreation to support for workers employed in Anchorage or on Alaska's North Slope oilfields and related infrastructure. The George Parks Highway turned the town into a commuter suburb of Anchorage. Several state and federal agencies have offices in Wasilla, including the Alaska Departments of Environmental Conservation, Labor and Divisions of Public Assistance, Social Services.Wasilla gained international attention when Sarah Palin, who served as Wasilla's mayor before her election as Governor of Alaska, was chosen by John McCain as his vice-presidential running mate in the 2008 United States presidential election.Wasilla is named after Chief Wasilla, a local Dena'ina chief.
History: The community got its start in 1897 when miners discovered gold on Willow Creek. Ships and boats brought supplies and equipment up Cook Inlet, landing at Knik or Tyonek. From Knik, a 26-mile summer trail went northwesterly. The trail along Willow Creek heading east became Hatcher Pass Road, currently an adventurous scenic road used during the summer tour season. In 1920, the Alaska Railroad built its Willow station house at mile 185.7 along the tracks leading from Seward to Fairbanks. During World War II, a radar warning station and airfield were built near the railroad tracks; a post office was established in 1948. By 1954, Willow Creek was Alaska's largest gold mining district, with a total production approaching 18 million dollars. Around 1970, before construction of the Parks Highway, Willow had a population of 78[2] until land disposals, homestead subdivisions, and completion of the George Parks Highway in 1972 fueled growth in the area. In 1976, Alaskans elected to move the state capital from Juneau to Willow in an effort to improve access for Alaskans while keeping the capital out of Anchorage, the largest city. Landscape architect M. Paul Friedberg created a master plan for the city as part of one such proposal.[citation needed] This fueled interest and land speculation in the area. However, funding to enable the capital move was defeated in the November 1982 election. As a result, Juneau remains the state capital. More than half of the 1,500 cabins around Willow are for seasonal-use. Nearly all of the occupied homes in Willow are fully-plumbed, using individual on-site water wells, septic tanks and drain fields. Willow is now the official host of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race restart.

Willow Lake
No information available. Located on USGS map Tyonek C-1
Harvest Button VITAL RECORDS Handled by the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics. Under Alaska law, all Vital Statistics records are strictly confidential until they become public records. Births become public records 100 years after the event; deaths, marriages, and divorces become public records 50 years after the event.
Uncle Sam VOLUNTEERS Visit this page to get ideas of how you can help this project.
Harvest Button
This is an area where volunteers can be of great help. If you have an old yearbook, scan it in and send it to the Borough Coordinator.


Should you have any questions, please email the Borough Coordinator.

AK GenWeb Logo
US GenWeb Logo

This page was last modified: Wednesday, 07-Nov-2012 05:53:15 MST  

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 10/1/2009 - thanks for stopping by!

Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.