Search billions of records on

ADAIR Jerald D. “Chip” Adair, Jr. of Elverson, Pennsylvania, passed away on January 18, 2008, at the age of 41. Chip was the beloved son of his mother, Grete Lewis Perkins of Talkeetna, Alaska, and father and stepmother Jerald D. and Judith G. Adair, of Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. Chip is also survived by his loving brother Christopher Robin Adair of Woodstock, NY, and sister Sallie Adair Greer of Palmer, Alaska.Chip lived in Talkeetna in the late 1980’s, and although he returned to Pennsylvania, his heart was always in Alaska.To honor Chip’s love of photography, a fund has been set up through Denali Arts Council to promote photography for children and adults in this beautiful place we call home. One proposed plan is to give children cameras to take photos on the opening day of Wild Woods Park, the new Talkeetna Community Playground, scheduled to open in June. Each child could then choose one photo he or she likes best, and then attend matting and framing workshop, to be followed by a photographic art show.To know Chip was to love him, and in this way the family hopes that his legacy will go forward through photography. Memorials may be sent in care of Denali Arts Council, P. O. Box 404, Talkeetna, AK 99676, with “Chip Adair” written on the memo line.The family would like to thank the community of Talkeetna for their outpouring of love and condolences. A memorial service was held in Pennsylvania, and a celebration of his life will be held in late May at Cravers Right-of-Way farm in Talkeetna.
ANDERSON Wasilla resident Chester Green Anderson, 63, died Sept. 14, 2004, from prostate cancer at his home on Cottonwood Lake. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Cottonwood Creek Elementary School gymnasium, 800 Seward-Meridian Parkway in Wasilla. Mr. Anderson was born Jan. 12, 1941, in Fittstown, Okla., to Green and Maudie Anderson. In 1962, Mr. Anderson earned his bachelor's degree and teaching certificate at East Central State University in Ada, Okla. In 1963, he moved with his wife, Diana, to Whitehorse, N.M., to teach for the Bureau of Indian Affairs. In Alaska in 1964, he became the first long-term teacher in the village of Toksook Bay and later a teacher in the village of Oscarville. In 1967, he earned his master's degree in guidance counseling from East Central State University. Later that year, he went to work for the Anchorage Borough School District as an elementary school teacher and became an administrator with the Mat-Su Borough School District in 1974. He retired in 1994. In 1976, Mr. Anderson also opened his own tool and equipment rental business off the Palmer-Wasilla Highway. Mr. Anderson was an active and energetic individual who loved spending time with his family and friends while working on landscaping and remodeling projects as well as flying, snowmachining and riding his Harley. His family stated, "Chester gave us the strength and determination to become the individuals we are today." Mr. Anderson is survived by his wife of 40 years, Diana Anderson; daughter and son-in-law, Laura and Scott Stewart of Anchorage; son and daughter-in-law, Jason and Kim Anderson of Fairbanks; and grandchildren, Nicholas Hill and David Stewart. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to Hospice of Mat-Su, 3051 E. Palmer-Wasilla Highway, Wasilla 99654. Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.
ANDREWS John R. Andrews, 87, died November 30, 1999, at "Debbie's Place" in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. Andrews was born in Anvik, Alaska, on June 21, 1912. He is survived by daughters Janet C. Beeter, Elsie Joe, Marie Andrews, Anna Stevens, Anita Litchfield and Stella Lieb; brother Jimmie Andrews; many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 
BAGLEY Madge Fay Bagley, 85, died June 16, 2001, at Jefferson General Hospital in Port Townsend, Wash. Ms. Bagley was born May 4, 1916, in Knik, Alaska. Daughters, Shirley Fay Brandenberger and Ruth Jane Epstein, and sons, Gary Dean Bagley and Harvey Eugene Bagley, survive her.
BELIO Juanita D. Belio, 59, died May 22, 2004 at home in Wasilla, Alaska. Ms. Belio was born July 31, 1944 in Fairbanks, Alaska. She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Terri and Craig Houston. According to her family, her fondest memories were of homesteading in Eagle River Valley and she enjoyed spending time with family and friends.
BEST Big Lake resident Kenneth Robert Best, 65, died Aug. 2, 2010, from lung cancer at his home in Big Lake.A celebration of Ken's life will be at 2 p.m., Aug. 14, 2010. at his home in Big Lake. For directions to the house, call 907-230-0139. His ashes will be scattered over the Innoko River near McGrath.Ken was born Dec. 31, 1944, to Albert and Marjorie (Meyer) Best in Arlington Heights, Ill. He was a renaissance man. Originally from the Chicago suburbs, he was born to be in Alaska. As a young boy in Illinois, he would load up his scooter with gear and go deer hunting, all by himself. Whatever he wanted to do, he did it.Ken started his career as a carpenter. As a self-taught draftsman, he began building houses in the early '70s after moving to Anchorage. He built what was then the new Arctic Roadrunner at the ripe old age of 27. When the housing market hit bottom in the '80s, he decided to become a commercial fisherman and taught himself the tricks of the trade. He retired from construction in 2005.His true passion was the outdoors. To get to the big game, you needed a plane, so that's what he did. He got his pilot's license and a few short years later, he shot a world record moose, which is still in the top 10 today. Whether it was close calls with bears, landing a Cessna on one ski or plucking a friend's plane from the bottom of a frozen lake, Ken came to Alaska seeking the ultimate adventure and through his many experiences, he achieved it.But his luck was not limited to surviving the outdoors. He has been lucky enough to be surrounded by friends and family who have been there to support him through the good and the bad. His family would personally like to thank Dennis Geise, Sherry Peterson, Roy Derwinkle and Terry Beal among others for their support."Ken was truly one-of-a-kind and he will be greatly missed," wrote the family.Ken is survived by his daughter, Sarah Best of Brooklyn, N.Y.; son, Kenneth C. Best of Anchorage; and former spouse, Helen Best of Chugiak.Arrangements were by the Valley Funeral Home & Crematory.
BORDERS Wasilla resident Glenn "Bud" Arnon Borders Jr., 88, died Aug. 15, 2010, at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.A graveside service will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Fort Richardson National Cemetery. Those attending need to be at the gate no later than 1 p.m. A celebration of life will follow from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Lidia Selkregg Chalet, Russian Jack Springs Park.He was born Aug. 17, 1921, in Seattle, Wash., to Glenn A. and Annabelle (Hocking) Borders. He attended Lincoln High School in Tacoma, Wash.From 1942 to 1945, Glenn served in the U.S. Army Air Corps and in the China-Burma-India Theater.In 1953, he moved to Alaska, living in Anchorage until 1996, when he moved to Wasilla, living there until his death.Glenn worked as a mechanic and driver from an early age. He worked in the U.S. Army Air Corps 1942-1945 and then went on to open Borders Portrait Photography from 1945 to 1953. In 1953, he was employed by the Civil Service in the Transportation Motor Pool at Fort Richardson until he retired in 1980 as the chief motor officer for all Army motor pools in Alaska.He was past commander of the American Legion, and a member of the VFW and Alaska Race Car Owners and Drivers Association, where he won the Championship Driver Award eight times and the All-Alaska Champion Driver Award twice. He enjoyed modified stock car racing, hunting and flying, and was an assistant big game guide."Glenn was a devoted husband and father, (an) enthusiastic outdoorsman who loved Alaska," his family said. "His happiest moments involved his family and hobbies. Dad was always teaching us something. He inspired his five children to reach out to others and embrace life to the fullest."He is survived by his wife, Margie of Wasilla; daughters, Kathy Northcutt of Anchorage, Christy Lowe of Anchorage and Vicki (Ron) Perkins of Spring Creek, Nev.; sons, Jim Borders of Wasilla, Bill (Charmaine) Borders of Kaneohe, Hawaii; and sister, Betty (Israel) Mendoza of Lacey, Wash.; and 14 grandchildren, 29 great-grandchildren, one great-great-grandson and many nieces and nephews.He was preceded in death by his parents; four sisters; several nieces and nephews; and son-in-law, David Northcutt.Memorial donations in his name may be sent to Covenant House, 609 F St., Anchorage 99501.Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home.
COLEMAN Longtime Willow and Alaska resident Robert Wayne Coleman, 85, died peacefully Sept. 15, 2009, with his family at his side. A memorial service was held on Sunday, Sept 20, at Sparrows Song Cemetery on the family homestead in Willow. Bob was born Jan. 7, 1924 to Robert and Cora. He grew up in Missouri on the family farm and was the star track miler in high school. He served as a medic during World War II. Bob married Elizabeth (his “Bunny”) in Walla Walla, Wash. , in 1955. They drove the Alaska Highway to Alaska in 1960, and homesteaded in the Willow area. Bob built the family home by hand, cutting and preparing the logs and living off the land. He worked at Northern Commercial (now Nordstrom) and was in downtown Anchorage during the 1964 earthquake, in which he helped in rescue efforts and rebuilding. Bob traveled up on weekends to spend time with his family. After retiring, Bob moved permanently to the Willow area and built another home. Bob enjoyed spending time with family and went on numerous hunting, fishing and camping trips. He loved taking his children mountain climbing to hunt for sheep. He was a craftsman and enjoyed working around the house, building things, rebuilding cars and in general, just keeping busy. Always quick with a joke, Bob had a Johnny Carson-like personality, and regaled the family with stories of his childhood antics. He passed many of these attributes to his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Bob was preceded in death by his parents Robert and Cora; siblings Jo hn and Irma; sons Edward and Gregrey and grandchildren Christine Coleman and Josh Rutten. He is survived by his siblings and their spouses Bill and Leah; and Ruby and Dan; wife Elizabeth; children and their spouses Robert and Patti, Shereen and Jim, Laureen, Tareen, Jo ireen and Bill, Kathereen, Mareen, Janeen and Jason, Bob and Sheila, Carol, and Clyde; grandchildren Chris, Jessica, Jo ni and Jo y; Zenetta; Erica, Chris and Heather; Ariana and Marina; Michael, Sarah, Jarrod and Faith; Jamie, Jason and Jessica; Jo shua and Hayley; Janelle, Jo leen and Jenessa; Damen; Jo lynn and Dawn; and Patrick and Brian; and great-grandchildren Brooke, Sherylyn and Austin; Payton; Christopher, Justin, Sonia and Fiona; Alexis, Titus and Chesna; Mark, James and Alexis; Kristen and Cameron; and Penelope. Arrangements were by Alaskan Heritage Memorial Chapel in Wasilla.

Mary P. Cooper, 82, died Sept. 27, 2000 at the Palmer Pioneer Home in Palmer, Alaska. Mrs. Cooper was born Jan. 2, 1918. She is survived by her son, Walter Metrokin
DENNY Emmila Ann Denny, 66, a Moudy daughter, died in an instant, Thursday, August 20th, at a Willow rail crossing. She was perhaps better known as Belles Liberte of Talkeetna's own Green Light Circus, and there are those who may only know her by voice as the host of "Granny's Radio Recipes.” Emmila is dearly loved by all who know her and will be forever remembered. This town of Talkeetna is built on the lives of people like Emmila. She was a co-founder of many community projects in her more than forty years as a Talkeetnan. She may have been most proud of the library. Supreme in our minds can be her longstanding and untiring toil with the Denali Arts Council, or the Talkeetna Community Radio, or GLC, or the VFW, the list goes on and on. Emmila was the village Fee Agent for many years and then as owner operator of the Myrtle Marie Moudy Assisted Living Home, and with other agencies, had been caring for those with health problems for close to 30 years now. Caring for Alaskans all over the valley, she was, to the very last minute, on that mission. Emmila was preceded in death by her parents Irving Moudy and Myrtle Waters and siblings Willadean Little, James and John Moudy. Emmila is survived by her loving husband R.G. Denny, son Kirk E. Carey, and grandsons Mitchell and Alexander; daughter Jayme L.S. Moudy-Ferrier, and dear sister Marva J. Larson, nieces Lora Nelson and Becky Smith, and all the sons and daughters, and husbands and wives, and many nieces, nephews, cousins, and beloved friends. Of all the people Emmila loved and cherished and nurtured, the most personal bond was blessed upon Raven Ferrier-Ballou, her pride and joy. And I, R.G. Denny, am forever grateful for her love; she saved my life. Services to be held in Talkeetna on Monday, September 7th with: public viewing at VFW Post 3836 from 11 am to noon, private Women's Auxillary ceremony for VFW members and family only from noon to 12:30 p.m. The community is invited to join in the funeral procession, (walking only), from the VFW to the Talkeetna Cemetery, gathering at the VFW parking lot at 12:30 p.m. All are welcome at the graveside service which begins at 1 p.m. There will be a celebration of Emmila's life to follow, with music and potluck at the Sheldon Community Arts Hangar. Arrangements are under the care of Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.
DePETER Joseph “Jay” F. DePeter, Jr., 47, died suddenly Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at his home in Biddeford, Maine. Born April 27, 1961 in Portland he is the son of Joseph F. DePeter, Sr. and Sally Hanson McMennamin. Jay graduated from Westbrook High School and then served in the United States Air Force stationed in Germany and Japan. He graduated from Husson College, Summa Cum Laude with a BS and went on to graduate from Seattle University, School of Law. Jay received his LLM from the University of Washington and was a member of the Washington State Bar.Jay enjoyed journaling, writing short stories and outdoor survival guides. He volunteered at various non-profit organizations throughout his life, always having a soft spot for the underdog. His true love was for the outdoors. An avid sportsman, Jay spent much of his time fishing, hunting and mountain climbing. Having lived in Talkeetna, Alaska from 2004-2008, he considered it home and its residents family. He was loved and will be missed by his family and friends.Besides his mother Sally of Portland, his father Joseph Sr. and his significant other Nancy Mathieu of Biddeford, he is survived by his brother Thomas R. DePeter and his wife Renee of Westbrook; two nieces Marie and Emilia DePeter and several aunts, uncles and cousins.Visitation will be Saturday, April 25, 2009 from 9-10 a.m. at Jones, Rich & Hutchins Funeral Home, 199 Woodford St., Portland with a funeral service to follow at 10 a.m. at the funeral home.In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Jay’s favorite charity in Alaska, the “Free Box” through his brother, payable to Thomas DePeter, c/o Jones, Rich & Hutchins Funeral Home, 199 Woodford St., Portland, ME 04103. depeter-joseph-obit-0001Local Talkeetna residents may give donations directly to the Free Box. They will collect names and send all cards to Jay’s brother.You are invited to share your thoughts, condolences and fond memories with the DePeter family by visiting Jay’s guest book at
DURR TALKEETNA -- Alaskan author and artist Robert A. Durr died suddenly February 10, 2009, of congestive heart failure at his home in Talkeetna. He was 83. Durr was born August 27, 1925, in Brooklyn, New York, to Grace and Alfred Durr. After serving stateside in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, Durr married Carol Betty Lipps on September 6, 1948, and began to pursue his education in English literature. Durr received a B.A. from Hofstra College, an M.A. from the University of Connecticut and a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. As a graduate student, Durr was honored to have spent time with famed American author H. L. Mencken in that author’s last years. Afterwards, Durr’s essay, “The Last Days of H. L. Mencken” was published in the Yale Review.Durr began teaching at Syracuse University in 1957 where he eventually became a full professor of English and head of his department. In and around this time he published two book length scholarly works, On the Mystical Poetry of Henry Vaughn and Poetic Vision and the Psychedelic Experience. After spending a full year on sabbatical in the Wood River Lakes area of Alaska in 1963/64, Durr realized a lifelong dream when, in 1968, he and his family moved permanently to Alaska, settling initially on a remote shore of Lake Iliamna. Two years later the family relocated to open-to-entry land north of Talkeetna where Durr lived on the shores of “Back Lake” in a cabin in the woods until two and a half years ago when, due to health difficulties, he relocated to Talkeetna.Durr worked as a commercial fisherman in Alaska’s Bristol Bay from 1964 through 1970. In the 1970s, Durr rediscovered an old love: visual arts, and went on to become well known in Alaska’s art community in the 1980s, winning numerous awards for his artistic endeavors.In the 1990s Durr returned to writing, publishing two non-fiction novels with St. Martin’s Press in New York: Down in Bristol Bay: High Tides, Hangovers, and Harrowing Experiences on Alaska’s Last Frontier (1999) and The Coldman Cometh: A Family’s Adventure in the Alaska Bush (2004).His family says, “Our father was an adventurer in all areas of his life, from the decision to move his family to Alaska to his intellectual and artistic pursuits, and he lived life to the fullest. He loved nothing more than his life in his cabin at Back Lake, where he could hear the wind in the trees, the loons on the lake and the soft hiss of the fire in his woodstove. He also felt blessed to be part of the wonderful community of Talkeetna. We loved him, and he will be greatly missed.“His daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth, would like to publicly acknowledge their older brothers, Steven and Jonathan Durr, for caring for their father in his years of poor health and allowing him to enjoy the life he loved for as long as was possible. The family as a whole would like to thank Sunshine Community Health Center, Access Alaska, Dr. Scully with the Alaska Heart Institute and the Talkeetna and Trapper Creek EMS.”Durr was preceded in death by his former wife and lifelong friend, Carol L. Durr, and his sister, Juliet.He is survived by his sons, Steven Durr and Jonathan Durr of Talkeetna and Robert Woods and Elizabeth Kay of Grants Pass, OR; grandsons Christopher Birdsall of Juneau and Fairbanks and Zachary Kay of Grants Pass, OR; granddaughters Cara Durr of Anchorage, Jessica Durr of Daytona Beach, FL, Jennifer Birdsall of Talkeetna and Ashland, OR, and Annabelle Woods of Seattle, WA. He is also survived by many friends both near and far.Memorial services were held Feb. 20, 2009 at 6 p.m. at Whole Wheat Radio in Talkeetna. Memorial donations may be sent to Sunshine Community Health Center, P.O. Box 787, Talkeetna, AK, 99676.
ERICKSON Longtime Alaska resident Patricia M. Erickson, 57, died Feb. 4, 2006, at Alaska Regional Hospital of heart failure. A service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Holy Family Cathedral, 800 W. Fifth Ave., with the Rev. Donald Bramble officiating. Mrs. Erickson was born May 23, 1948, in Rockville Center, N.Y., and moved to Sutton with her family when she was 12. She had six brothers and was the only daughter, much loved by her mother, Catherine, her family said. Mrs. Erickson graduated from Palmer High School and worked as a teacher's aide in Sutton. Her family wrote: "Pat, as she was known by family and friends, was a strong woman who loved her family dearly. She spoke highly of her children, Brian and Michelle, and her grandson, Jeffery. She loved her church, and she and her husband were earth angels at the cathedral, taking care of the grounds as her health permitted. She prayed daily with the rosary for friends and family who had needs and put many on her prayer list with wonderful outcomes. She was especially close to her brother Daniel, whom she worked for part-time. She was very giving and never did anything half-heartedly. "When her grandniece, Josie Jean, was born, she was so excited she bought over 60 outfits. When she went to Hawaii, she would laugh at the idea of only going one to two weeks; three or four was more like it. She left us too soon with her many plans and dreams of the future. "She and her husband were best friends for 28 years. They enjoyed RVing, gardening, fishing, and, most of all, being together. She had the ability to love many, and those who had few friends could count her as a friend." Survivors include husband, Bruce Erickson; mother, Catherine; son, Brian Fisher; daughter, Michelle Erickson; grandsons, Jeffery and Tyler; brothers and sisters-in-law, John and Connie Wansor, Peter and Jeannie Wansor, Daniel Wansor and his life partner, James Aloes, and Robert Wansor; and numerous nieces and nephews, including Melissa and Erik. She was preceded in death by her father, Charles Wansor; and brothers, Charles Wansor Jr. and Thomas Wansor. Memorial bequests can be sent to Holy Family Cathedral. Arrangements are with Evergreen Memorial Chapel, 737 E St.
FENTON Palmer resident Robert Nicholas ''Nick'' Fenton, 56, died Dec. 2, 2001, at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage from complications of injuries he received in a vehicle accident. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the family home in Palmer. Mr. Fenton was born Oct. 1, 1945, in Los Angeles. He completed his bachelor of arts degree and graduate work, and held both California and Alaska teaching certificates. In 1990 he moved to Alaska where he worked as an elementary school teacher in several bush villages for 10 years. He had worked in Chevak, Mountain Village, Napaskiak and Chefornak until his retirement. His family wrote: ''Nick was a caring, funny individual who loved the outdoors, traveling, Alaska and spending time with family and friends. He was a wonderful husband and father and will be missed.'' Mr. Fenton is survived by his wife, Shannon Fenton of Palmer; daughters, Nicole Fenton and Carly Fenton of Palmer; parents, Argero and Bob Fenton of Fresno, Calif.; sisters, Kris Fenton of Clovis, Calif.; sister and brother-in-law, Kathy and Terry Brennan of Fresno; mother-in-law, Joyce Schaeffer of Olympia, Wash.; brother-in-law, John Brickell of Olympia; and 60 sisters-in-law, Nancy Brickell of Olympia and Carole Boylan of Loyalton, Calif.
FISHER Michael J. Fisher TALKEETNA -- Longtime, well-known Talkeetna resident, Michael J. Fisher, passed away at his home in downtown Talkeetna on February 8, 2009, following days of loving attention shown him by his sister, Margot, and his extended Talkeetna family of friends. He was 73 years old. Mike was born to Thomas J. and Anne Fisher on April 7, 1936 in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up in northern Michigan where he graduated from high school in the town of Kalkaska in 1954. He then left for California where he studied at the Northrop Aeronautical Institute. Drafted in 1959, he was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where he served for two years as a maintenance crew chief on deHavilland Beaver aircraft. During this time he acquired his pilot's license and later earned his certified flight instructor/instrument rating and certificate which he continued to hold for many years in Talkeetna. Mike made his way to Alaska in 1962 and worked for a time as an aircraft mechanic in Anchorage. He eventually traveled to Talkeetna where he picked up odd jobs and befriended pilot Don Sheldon who ran a bush operation, Talkeetna Air Service. In those days flights were sparse and all maintenance was performed by Sheldon, but during the late 1960s the operation's traffic increased so much that Mike Fisher filled in as a part- time pilot and mechanic and emerged as a valued and skilled employee. During this time he constructed his own home near the Village Airstrip. Mike had an innovative and inventive mind and became known for his machinist skills. Over the years he slowly built up his state-of-the-art Talkeetna Machine Shop, which he operated out of the lower level of his home. His sister, Margot, remembers that this shop “was a creation that gave him great self-satisfaction and the enjoyment he found in helping other people to solve their problems.” It is also known that he did machinist jobs as favors for people that were unable to pay.Mike met Suzanne Guimaraes, a graduate of Cornell University, when she came to the area to work as a farm hand at Milton Lictenwalner's place just outside of Talkeetna. Both found a soul mate in each other and, in 1968, became a couple and eventually married. Both were intellectual equals and thrived in their mutual love for lives of simplicity and frugality. Besides their devotion for each other they had a shared love for Talkeetna, for building and working their vegetable gardens, for reading, and skiing, hiking and biking.In the 1980s the two joined forces to build a wilderness retreat on a five-acre parcel of land along a small, unnamed lake south of Larson Lake. Their first creation was a small, modest A-frame shelter built of used lumber and metal roofing panels, which was thoroughly enjoyed for some years. By this time Mike had ingeniously designed and built his own portable log mill which he flew in pieces to the lake and assembled near the site. After the two felled and peeled their logs for a proper log cabin, Mike milled and notched them to fit. They built the cabin themselves, and it stands today. Next, they turned their minds to a lot they owned on the east side of Talkeetna, where Mike built his comfortable and unique “indigenous cabin.” Suzanne helped with the project and also built their second large vegetable garden there.After 23 years with Mike, Suzanne succumbed to cancer and passed away in 1991. Mike's sister said, “After she passed away a lot of the joy left his life.” But, she adds, that he continued to nourish close friendships and to become a mentor to younger people who were struggling with challenging circumstances in their lives. Mike was also a mentor to many pilots and aspiring pilots who began to arrive in Talkeetna, and for many years gave accredited flight instruction to many Talkeetna residents and others in the area.An enthusiastic and devoted supporter of the Denali Arts Council, the Denali Nordic Ski club, the Talkeetna Public Library, and local area Food Banks, he contributed to numerous small charitable causes as well. Towards the end of his life he urgently encouraged all his male friends to be medically tested for prostate problems, so that they might avoid the perils of same.He is survived by his sister, Margot Dorn; his nieces Kate Phillips, Nancy Szejbach, Kathy Allen, and Sally Klein; nephews Michael Dorn and Tom Dutcher; several cousins; and by a Village Full of Friends. At his request his ashes will be scattered in places that he and Suzanne loved. More than 250 people gathered on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009 at 3 p.m. at the Sheldon Community Arts Hangar in Talkeetna to celebrate his life..
FORD-EVERETT Jeweldean "Jewel" Ford-Everett, 64, died March 10, 2010, at Providence Alaska Medical Center. She suffered from a debilitating illness that rapidly progressed over the last few months. A service will be at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Evergreen Memorial Chapel, 737 E St. She was born Feb. 12, 1946, in California and moved to Anchorage when she was 5 years old. She graduated from West High School in 1964 and later, in her 40s, graduated from Alaska Pacific University. She worked at KTUU as a camera person in the 1980s; in the 1990s she worked for KTBY Channel 4. She loved Alaska and lived in many different locations, including Willow, Chickaloon, the village of Mentasta and the place she called home, Chitina. She was a volunteer EMT in Chitina for a number of years and recently was on the board of directors of KCHU radio in Valdez. Jewel played drums and loved to do beadwork; she enjoyed science fiction and often watched sports on TV. Jewel loved nature and was a free-spirited, adventurous, unique individual. Jeweldean is survived by her sons, Jay Rylander and Chris Rylander and his wife Lissa; her granddaughters, Jade Hartley and Ivy Rylander; her great-granddaughter, Ryli Hartley; her sister, Costella Fleming; her nieces and nephews, Conswella, Joy, Shari, Chad and Richard; and her brother, Wynne Ford and his wife Sheila. Jewel was preceded in death by her mother, Tolular Ford; and her son, Brian Rylander.

Wasilla resident, Veronica Lee Frost, age 76, passed away at her home in Wasilla, Alaska on July 8, 2011. No services planned. Veronica's ashes will be placed at Veterans Cemetery in Phoenix, Arizona, with her beloved husband is located. Veronica was born January 1, 1935 in Fort Totten, New York daughter of Luther and Elizabeth (Greene) Hart. Veronica originally moved to Anchorage in 1959 and later relocated to Wasilla, AK. Veronica and her husband Robert owned and operated Childcraft Photo Studios. They also operated the Sears Mall Photo Center when it originally opened in 1968 until 1974. She was preceded in death by her husband, Bob (1988); mother, Elizabeth (1996); father, Luther S. Hart (1978); and daughter, Valerie Lynn (1955). Veronica is survived by her son, Robert Frost of Palmer, AK; son, Richard Frost of Homer, AK; sister, Linda Myers-Steele of Wasilla, AK; sister, Barbara Penrod of Austin, TX; niece, Jennifer Burkmire of Wasilla, AK; nephew, Sam Myers of Anchorage, AK; niece, Julia Gullickson of Red Rock, TX; niece, Candie Keller of Austin, TX; 3 grand children; 4 great grand children; and other grand-nieces and nephews.

GALVAN Robert Allen Galvan, 20, died Nov. 12, 2002, at home in Wasilla, Alaska. Mr. Galvan was born April 11, 1982, in Anchorage, Alaska. He is survived by his mother, JoAnne L. Mignano; sisters, Maria C. Galvan and Christina Mignano; grandmother, Evelyn Jones; and great uncle, Robert Rude.
HAGEN Talkeetna resident Ardella Rose Nelson Hagen, 79, died Aug. 11, 2010, at home after a short bout of cancer.A funeral was Wednesday at Talkeetna Baptist Church with Rev. Wes Hudson officiating. Burial was at the Talkeetna Baptist Church Cemetery. Pallbearers were her sons, Vaughn and Robert Spiker; grandsons, Brian and Samuel Chavez; son-in-law, Burt Durham; and friend, Todd Condon.She was born Nov. 1, 1930, in Formosa, Kan. She received her PHT at the University of Idaho-Moscow. She lived in Idaho, Nevada, Kansas, Georgia and Colorado, and came to Alaska originally in 1959. She left in about 1964 and returned in 1991, living in the state until the present.She served the community as an election official in Talkeetna.She enjoyed gardening, birch bark basket making and rug making, and won several purple ribbons at the Alaska State Fair. She was a member of the Upper Susitna Seniors.According to her family, "She was always willing to share her knowledge."She was preceded in death by her husband, John Hagen.She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Lucinda and Burt Durham of Talkeetna; two sons and daughters-in-law, Robert and Barbara Spiker of Fresno, Calif., and Vaughn and Sharon Spiker of Ola, Idaho; sister and brother-in-law, Joy and Rusty Larkin of Cambridge, Idaho; brother and sister-in-law, Vaughn and Beth Nelson of Kennewick, Wash.; grandchildren and grandchildren-in-law, Samuel Chavez, Nadyne and Adam Burra, all of Reno, Nev., Brian Chavez of Talkeetna, Louis Spiker of Twin Falls, Idaho, and Willis and Erin Spiker of Demming, N.M.; one great-grandchild, Tharon Chavez of Talkeetna; and many nieces, nephews and grandnieces and nephews.The family requests that memorial contributions be directed to the Heritage Foundation, 214 Massachusetts Ave. N.E., Washington, D.C. 20002-4999.Local arrangements were by Alaskan Heritage Memorial Chapel & Crematory, Wasilla.

HAMPTON William "Bill" Tracy Hampton, 50, died Feb. 4, 2006, at his Big Lake cabin with his family present. A celebration of life potluck will be from 2 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the family home on Eeyore Way at Settlers Bay. All who knew him are invited to attend. Mr. Hampton was born Aug. 5, 1955, in Redwood City, Calif., to Ralph and Golden Hampton. He became an Alaska resident at age 3 when his family moved to Fairbanks in summer 1958. The Hampton family left Fairbanks and spent nine months living in Anchorage and Eagle River before relocating to the Federal Aviation Administration complex at King Salmon in December 1966. Mr. Hampton graduated from Bristol Bay High School in 1973, then attended the University of Alaska Fairbanks before embarking on his 28-year career as an air traffic controller with the Anchorage Air Route Traffic Control Center. An avid aviation enthusiast, Mr. Hampton obtained a pilot's license at age 16 and later constructed a home-built kit airplane. When he and his wife, Cheryl, began to develop their Settlers Bay property, his focus changed to heavy equipment. "He loved big-boy toys," his daughter Kimberly said. His latest love was taking Caribbean cruises. His wife said: "Bill was a loving and devoted husband and father who actively supported his wife's leadership efforts and his children's participation in the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and 4-H. "Many will remember Bill as a person who was always there and ready to help. He was a true, old-fashioned Alaskan who would help anyone, the way people in Alaska used to." Survivors include his wife, Cheryl; daughter, Lisa; twins, Phillip and Denise; daughter and son-in-law, Kimberly and Brandon McNellis; grandsons, Tyler and Ryan of Wasilla; sisters, Patricia Hampton of Priest River, Idaho, and Laura Chase of Wasilla; and extended FAA family at the Anchorage ARTCC. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions be made to the Mat-Su Regional Home Care and Hospice, 3051 E. Palmer-Wasilla Highway, Wasilla 99654.
HARTLEY Lee William Hartley, 92, died peacefully Aug. 5, 2010, at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center in Palmer, surrounded by family. Lee had been living with Alzheimer's disease.A memorial service open to all who wish to celebrate Lee's extraordinary life will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Palmer Elks Lodge, 2600 Barry's Resort Drive in Wasilla. Family and friends are welcome to bring a dessert or salad for a potluck.Lee was born in Anchorage June 17, 1918, to pioneer Alaskans Leon and Ruth (English) Hartley. In December of 1938, he met his bride of 70 years, Maralyn Vasanoja. They were wed on Oct. 30, 1940. In 1947, savvy businessmen all, Lee and his brothers, Bob and Jim Hartley, along with their father, opened Hartley Brothers, a fuel/service/repair station and auto dealership in downtown Palmer in a prime corner location. From that beginning, he went on to build the first Ford dealership in the Valley, Hartley Motors Inc., which he later sold to Harold Nye of Nye Frontier Ford in 1984. Lee and Maralyn opened their Honda dealership, Hartley Motors Honda Shop, in 1965. Although Lee retired at age 66, the business is still family-owned and operating at its Parks Highway location today.His interests were diverse. His hobbies included collecting stamps, building model airplanes, fishing, hunting and bird watching. Lee was also a pilot and loved to fly his airplanes.As a Ford dealership, Hartley Motors won many trips abroad to locations such as Jamaica, France, Italy, Denmark, Germany, Japan and China. Lee and Maralyn insisted that one or two children or grandchildren accompany them on each of these memorable journeys "to learn about the world." Lee was a lifetime member of the Elks, Moose and Pioneers of Alaska. After his retirement he traveled by motor home all over the U.S. Attending the annual Alaskans' picnic in Yuma, Ariz., was one of his favorite events, where he could catch up with many of the dear friends he acquired over the years.Lee was the patriarch of a large family he loved and cared for dearly, and who loved him immensely in return.He is survived by his wife, Maralyn; three daughters, Clare Hartley, Signe Wellman (Mike), and Brenda Valley; 10 grandchildren: Denise Hubbard (Lloyd), Andrea Dunnigan, Grant Dunnigan (Susie), Alice Mobley, Jamie Davis (James), Randy Moffitt, Krystal Moffitt, Eric Moffitt (Tamara), Trina Arthur and Grace Valley; 27 great-grandchildren: Holly Varah, Taralyn and Heidi Tester, Willow, Lukas and Naomi Hubbard, Nicole Kerby, Jasmine and Reuben Tirapelli, Jeffry Pendergrass, Hannah Dunnigan, Michael and Austin Mobley, Saylor Wetherhorn, Brandon, Stormy and Summer Wolsterman, Levi and Cory Moffitt, Chloe Moffitt, Travis Barber (Kassie), Tyler Walker, Jessie, Kassi, Maralyn and Jeanie Moffitt, and Willow Kolberg; and 10 great-great-grandchildren: Tiger, Violet, Vanessa, Alexis, Aiden, Tristan, Trinity, Jaydon, C.J., and Olivia. And many loved ones who called him "Grandpa."The Hartley family wishes a special thank you to all of the wonderful people who helped care for Lee both at home and at the hospital. Your loyal, gracious and loving care is deeply appreciated.The family suggests memorial contributions be made to the Palmer Elks Scholarship Fund at 2600 N. Barry's Resort Drive, Wasilla 99654.Arrangements are with Kehl's Palmer Mortuary.
HOBAUGH Jared Hobaugh, 1978-2009 MISSOURI -- Jared Frederic Hobaugh, 31, died September 22, 2009, near Millersburg, MO, while flying his plane back to Wichita. Jared loved to fly, and had been flying in Talkeetna, Alaska, where he worked for K2 Aviation this summer. He attended Valley Center High School. As an accomplished song writer and guitarist, Jared joined a band called Shaft with his brother Jason, and other friends, that toured the country. He was also in the sound and lighting business, but had more recently dedicated his life to a career in aviation. Jared was notoriously adventurous, a true free spirit who lived life to the fullest. His experiences and friendship will be cherished in our memories. Jared was preceded in death by his father, Fred Hobaugh, who was a test pilot for Cessna. He is survived by his mother, Cynthia (Mrs. Jack) Edwards, brother Jason Hobaugh of Wichita, sister, Julie Hobaugh, and grandmother, Mrs. Phyllis McColpin. Please join us for a celebration of Jared's life at the Benton Airport, Stearman Field, 14789 SW 30th St, Benton, KS, on Saturday, September 26, 2009, at 3 p.m. More details are available at this link. Online condolences may be left for the family at
HOLMES Former longtime Sitka resident Jay D. Holmes, 63, of Wasilla, died Nov. 8, 2005, in Nightmute. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Monday at the First Baptist Church in Wasilla, 900 Leatherleaf Loop. He was born July 24, 1942, in Washington state because his mother had been evacuated from Sitka, along with the town's other women and children, due to fears of a Japanese invasion. His mother, Alice Holmes, returned to her husband, Clint, and the family home in Sitka when Jay was 6 weeks old. He spent most of his life in Sitka. He attended college in Bozeman, Mont., where he met and married Rebecca, his wife of 40 years. 83 Mr. Holmes was self-employed in construction and commercial fishing for many years and was involved in the building of Castle Hill, the current St. Michael's Cathedral, the Totem Park Visitors' Center and Harrigan Centennial Hall. He served Sitka as a Fire Department volunteer as well as sitting on the Borough Assembly as chairman shortly before the combining of the borough and city governments. For the last decade, he and his wife lived in Wasilla, and he had been doing what he truly enjoyed, working with the Alaska Craftsman Home Building Program. He developed and taught classes on the science of building homes for Alaska's climate throughout the state. His family wrote: "Other than five years spent in the rural villages of Alaska's interior, Jay and Rebecca raised their three children in Sitka. His greatest joy in life was time spent with his family, friends and enjoying the outdoors." He is survived by his wife, Rebecca; children and their families, Jody, Korie, Zoe, Orland and Owen Holmes of Sitka, Merry, Kierra and Lacy Holmes of Anchorage, Joel Holmes of Wasilla; and seven siblings and their families.


Wasilla resident Richard Melvin Howes Jr., 70, died at his home Sept. 30, 2005, after a lengthy illness. A memorial service and celebration of life will be at 7 p.m. Monday at Fairview Loop Baptist Church, Mile 8.2, Fairview Loop Road in Wasilla. A graveside service with military honors will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Fort Richardson. Those attending may take the Fort Richardson/Arctic Valley exit from the Glenn Highway. The procession will form at 12:30 p.m. outside the gate and be escorted to the cemetery. The Rev. Tom Hoffman will officiate at both services. Mr. Howes was born Dec. 6, 1934, in Gilroy, Calif. He graduated from Live Oak Union High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., in 1952. He served in the U.S. Navy 1952-1973. On Aug. 26, 1973, he moved to Alaska with his family and lived in Anchorage until moving to Wasilla in January 1976. He earned an associate's degree in applied science electronics technology at Mat-Su Community College of the University of Alaska in Palmer. He worked for the Idea Shop Alaskan Gifts and Arts & Crafts Supplies from 1976 to 2000. He also worked for the Daily News and Anchorage Times newspapers and was a special-ed school bus driver. He retired from Ludlow Transit Inc. in 1999 for medical reasons. While serving in the military, he received a National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with bronze stars, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Korea), Good Conduct Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal. He received appreciation awards from the Wasilla Senior Center and the Special Olympics bowlers. He attended Fairview Loop Baptist Church. He enjoyed fishing, bowling, reading, woodworking, cooking, crossword puzzles and computer games. His infant son preceded him in death. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Pierce Howes; sons, Robert Howes and Richard Howes III; daughter-in-law, Karen Howes; granddaughter, Kate Howes; grandson, Michael Howes, all of Wasilla; sisters and brothers-in-law, Ona Jean and Keith Kermoade, and Marsha Ray and Frank Fontes; and many other family members. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Account No. 1237055 at any branch of Alaska USA Federal Credit Union. Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home & Crematory.
HUDSON On Dec. 2, Jay Clifford Hudson, 52, of Hudson Air Service, passed away at Alaska Native Medical Center after a courageous battle with cancer. The oldest of four children, he leaves his father Cliff, his mother Ollie, three brothers, Bruce, Chuck and Scott, and his two precious sons, Dustin and Clifford, whom he loved dearly. He also leaves his uncles Allan Dahl, Dusty Robson and many cousins. Born in Palmer and raised in Talkeetna, Jay graduated from Susitna Valley High. He was the first newspaper boy, and learned to fly from his father’s lap. He soloed at the age of 16, the youngest at that time in the state of Alaska. From a pioneering family of Alaska bush pilots, Jay became well-known and highly respected throughout the flying world. He participated in many Denali mountain rescues and was awarded for his services, his safety, and his concern for those in need. He will be sadly missed by his family, his friends, and the large community of climbers and pilots whose lives he touched. A funeral was held Dec. 12, 2009 at Church of the Rock in Talkeetna followed by a graveside service at the Talkeetna Cemetery and a potluck gathering at the Latitude 62 Lodge. Valley Funeral Home and Crematory handled the funeral arrangements.
HUGHES Pearl Ellen Williams-Hughes, 79, died Jan. 8, 2005, at home in Eureka, Calif. Ms. Hughes was born Nov. 25, 1925, in Palmer, Alaska. She is survived by her husband, Bill Hughes; sons, Jeff Williams and John Williams; grandsons, Andy, Nick and Tony Williams; and great granddaughters, Ashlea, Haley, Isabella, Lyndsea and Marasa Williams.
ISSEL TALKEETNA -- Dora Lynn Issel, 48, of Talkeetna, passed away at her home, Jan. 28. Born Aug. 24, 1960, in Anchorage to James Shade and Catherine Schelm. As a lifelong Alaskan, Dora displayed her endless leadership skills through working at the Livermore School District and the Big Su Lodge; as well as serving as a member of the VFW and as the President of Directors for the Sunshine Clinic. She enjoyed beading, gardening and reading historical fiction. She will always be remembered for the ability to lift people up and how she always went out of her way to help people. Dora is survived by her husband George Issel of Talkeetna; daughter, Samantha Issel of Talkeetna; son, James Shade of Humbolt County, Calif.; and sister, Cathy Nelson of Anchorage. She was preceded in death by her parents. There will be a private family gathering this summer. Arrangements were entrusted to Valley Funeral Home. --Reprinted from the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
JENNINGS KEN JENNINGS, Born in Fitzhugh, Arkansas, Oct. 8, 1934 to Helen (SMITH) JENNINGS and Boyce Jefferson JENNINGS, Ken died of lung cancer at 6:50 p.m. on Flag Day, June 14, 2008 while being tenderly and lovingly cared for by his wife Emily, their son Ken J., and daughter-in-law Jackie, in the younger folks’ Idaho home. Ken was a Christian by faith, a Baptist by conviction, who led a full and joyous life and is now with our Lord Jesus. Services were held on June 23 at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery in Boise under the direction of Bowman’s Funeral Home of Garden City. Ken spent his early years in Augusta, Ark., graduated high school in 1952, and joined the U.S. Air Force. Following basic training in San Antonio, Texas, he served in Strategic Air Command, Thule AFB, Greenland as Airman 2nd, serving as cargo chief aboard C-124 Globe master aircraft, during the Korean War ferrying supplies to and from Korea. An uncle’s tale of Alaska fired Ken’s desire to live there, and in the early spring of 1959 he headed to Alaska by car. On reaching the then rugged AlCan Highway, he drove through deeply snow-covered roads, ice and blizzards, arriving in Anchorage in March. He worked at a variety of jobs from 1959 through 1961, then entered the workforce of the new State of Alaska, first with the Department of Highways, later the Division of Aviation. Ken’s teenage marriage ended in divorce, but gave him two much-loved daughters. He married his wife Emily Jennings, the love of his life, in 1961. Ken built a home in Anchorage after the earthquake destroyed their trailer home on Romig Hill. Ken and Emily had a long and happy marriage lasting until his recent death. He was a great hunter and fisherman, providing an abundance of wild game and fish for the family. In 1966-67 he fished for King Crab aboard a 50-foot J-boat, the “Helen B,” between Homer and Kodiak, Alaska. Around 1969, Ken and a patern bought an airplane, and he learned to fly with the plane on floats, skis or wheels. His flying instructor said, “Ken’s just naturally born to fly.” From 1970 to Sept. 1973 Ken became airport manager for the State of Alaska at Galena, Alaska; from Sept. 1973 to 1975 he was superintendent of SE Aviation’s airports at Gustavus, Haines, and Wrangell, and all seaplane bases from Yakutat to Metlakatla, Alaska. When the state divided this vast area and split responsibility for it, he was given the dual role of manager of Wrangell’s airport and the state highway. In Wrangell, Ken with only the help from his wife, younger son and friends, built a lovely cedar home overlooking the ocean at Three Mile Zimovia Highway. He loved Alaska, and it was always home. After retirement, he sold out in Wrangell, bought and operated Maclaren River Lodge, Mile 42, Denali Highway, for seven years, making friends from the far reaches of the globe. In the 1990s, he worked four winters at EAFB, Anchorage, then thee years at Temsco Helicopter Service, and four years driving for Grayline Tours, both out of Juneau. In the latter two jobs, he met and mentored many young co-workers whose lives he enriched by his wisdom, genial nature, good humor, and, when requested, wise counsel. Many called Ken “Grandpappy” or “Grandpa” and continued to keep in touch with him through phone calls, email, visits, and special-occasion cards, which gave him great pleasure. Ken and Emily became snowbirds, traveling by RV from Alaska to Alamo Lake to fish, hunt, volunteer, and spend the winters with old and new friends who welcomed his arrival there or at Sun City West. Ken enjoyed travel, and loved making the long trip back to Alaska by RV in the spring. Ken was a kind, helpful, and mannerly gentleman with a hearty infectious laugh and a great sense of humor. Ken is survived by his beloved wife Emily of nearly 50 years; son Kenneth J. Jennings (Jackie), grandson Garrett Jennings, granddaughter Kiera Jennings of Idaho; daughters of his first marriage Cheryl Jennings Haralson (Bert) and Debra Jennings Flowers (Mike), granddaughter Lana Flowers and grandson Brent Flowers all of Arkansas; son James L. Jennings (Mary), grandsons Henry and Sam Jennings, grandson Nathan Jennings (Olivia) all of Washington; daughter Kathryn Jennings Simpkins (Jeffery) and their son Clifford Simpkins of California; stepson Robert Rossin III (Diane), their sons Robert IV, William, and daughter Leah of Wyoming; stepson William Rossin (Jennifer), their son Mike and daughters Tiffany and Wendy Archbell (Michael) of Virginia; and Ken’s only brother Jimmy Dale Jennings (Norma), niece Susal Flowers (Mike), their son Eric, nephew Jimmy Dale Jennings Jr. (Karen) all of Arkansas; many cousins and their families throughout Arkansas, a special nephew Wayne Cook (Cecelia) and their family of Oregon, and devoted fishing and hunting buddies and friends from all over Alaska, Canada, Arizona and everywhere he traveled. Ken was one very special man, well loved by all who met him, and this world is a sadder place for the absence of this good and kindly man. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ August 13, 2008, p. A10
JENSEN Wasilla resident Carol Jean Meske Jensen, 70, died Feb. 4, 2006, at home of cancer while surrounded by family. A funeral will be at noon Thursday at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 901 E. Bogard Road, in Wasilla. Public visitation will be at the church from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Interment will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Fort Richardson National Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Tom Jensen, Mitch Jensen, Karl Jensen, Don Bowman, Roy Thornton and Martyn Duckett. Mrs. Jensen was born June 22, 1935, in Fort Atkinson, Wis. She received a GED. Mrs. Jensen came to Alaska in 1962 and lived in Kodiak until 1973. She lived in Anchorage from 1973 to 1975 and in Wasilla since 1983. Mrs. Jensen had been employed by First National Insurance and Real Estate in Ennis, Mont., from 1975 to 1982; Marston Real Estate from 1983 to '95; Jack White Real Estate from 1995 to '97; Prudential Real Estate from 1997 to 2004; and by Double Eagle Investments from 2004 to 2005, when she retired. She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mrs. Jensen enjoyed reading, gardening, golfing and family gatherings. She was named Realtor of the year for the Mat-Su area. Survivors are her husband, Louis Jensen of Wasilla; daughters, Rhonda Boyle of Sherwood, Ore., Jean Bowman of Orting, Wash., Michele Thornton of Green Acres, Wash., and Karla Duckett of Wasilla; sons, Thomas Jensen of Wasilla, Mitchell Jensen of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and Karl Jensen of Wasilla; sister, Paula Pete of Spring Hill, Fla.; aunt, Ruth Habel of Fort Wayne, Ind.; 17 grandchildren; and 25 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her mother, Margaret Jessie Marie Westphal Meske Kutz; father, Harvey William Meske; stepfather, Karl Kutz; and brothers, Donald Meske, LaVerne Meske, George Meske and Richard Meske. Memorial contributions may be made to Mat-Su Regional Home Care and Hospice, 3051 E. Palmer-Wasilla Highway, Wasilla 99654-7234. Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.
JOHNSON Palmer resident Neva Johnson, 79, died May 22, 2010, at Mat-Su Regional Hospital surrounded by her family.A funeral will be at 4 p.m. Saturday at Bodenburg Butte Baptist Church. A graveside service will be held in Springfield, S.C., in the Brodie/Johnson Family Cemetery.Neva was born Aug. 19, 1930, in Dusk, W.Va.In 1950, she married the love of her life, Don Johnson. Together they had one daughter, Donna.Neva worked many years at the Southern Bell Telephone Co. to help support her small family. She eventually retired and decided to move to Alaska in 1979 to be with her grandchildren. She made many sacrifices to be with her grandchildren and because of that they said, "She was the best Grandma ever and we will miss her with all of our hearts."Neva's greatest joy was her Lord Jesus Christ and her family. She was actively involved in Respect Your Elders Adult Day Services for many years and will be greatly missed by all the friends she made there.Neva was preceded in death by her husband, Don; and her sister, Lorna Litchfield.She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Donna and Johnnie Davis; sister and brother-in-law, Fonda and Don Smith; sister, Helen Ratliff; grandchildren, Jonathan Davis, Sarah Sena, Joshua Davis and his wife Kyla, Josiah Davis and his wife Alia, Pablo Rodriguez and his wife McKenna, Sean Rodriguez, Gena Johnson and Chellie Miller; many great-grandchildren and extended family in South Carolina; and many loving and compassionate caregivers including grandson Joshua and his wife Kyla, Cathy Adler, Angie Bailey, Ona Petluska and Paula Wall.In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made in memory of Neva Johnson to the Alzheimer's Association or to the Palmer Senior Citizens Center building fund.Arrangements were with Legacy Funeral Home-Kehl's Palmer Chapel.
LaVALLEY-JORDAN Anchorage resident Marian Marguerite LaValley-Jordan, 82, died Aug. 7, 2010, at her home.A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Saturday at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 2301 Strawberry Road.Marian was born Aug. 4, 1928, to Edmond T. and Florence (Wood) LaValley in Marquette, Mich. She was 7 years old when she came to Alaska with her family from Michigan as part of the Matanuska Valley Colony Group in 1935. She shared many fond memories of frontier living. One memory often told was of Wiley Post and Will Rogers visiting her family homestead the day before their tragic plane crash. Marian loved Alaska, the beauty, the wildlife, the adventure and the uniqueness of the land.Marian was raised in Wasilla and lived for a short time in Oklahoma and Texas, as well as Seward and Kodiak, before making Anchorage her home. She went to school in Wasilla and took various business courses at Anchorage Business College. She did waitress work, bookkeeping and accounting and was a business owner until her retirement.Her family wrote: "As one of the Jehovah's Witnesses she loved talking to people about God's kingdom and all the blessings she has received. She often commented that she felt she had a good life. She looked forward to the future when her dream of living in Paradise on earth would be fulfilled, where there will be no more pain, sorrow or death, and God will wipe away all tears."She will be missed by her family and many friends."Marian is survived by her husband, Daniel Jordan of Anchorage; daughter and son-in-law, Lois and Chris Fedele of Anchorage; son and daughter-in-law, Robert Jr. and Grazia Howell of Virginia; 11 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren; sister, Ethelyn Williams of Oregon; and many nieces, nephews and other family members.Arrangements are with Anchorage Funeral Home.


Steven E. LaVine, 53, died Dec. 15, 2006, from injuries sustained in a vehicle accident. A funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday, with a viewing from 9:30 to 11 a.m., at Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla. Flowers are welcome. Interment will be afterward in Wasilla Aurora Cemetery. Mr. LaVine was born April 14, 1953, in Potsdam, N.Y. He received his GED and was a certified welder. In 1979, he moved to Alaska, living in Anchorage 1979-1980. In 1980, he and his family moved to Wasilla and lived there until 1992, when they moved to Seward. In 1996, they moved back to Wasilla. His family stated, "He lived a very full and happy life and possessed many talents. He was an artist, a musician, a minister, and a great friend to everyone. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him. His mother is in heaven with him." Mr. LaVine is survived by his wife of 33 years, Dorothy LaVine; children and spouses, Sandy LaVine, Steven E. LaVine Jr., Donna and Daniel Buckwalter, Darlene Antila, and Steven James and Connie LaVine; many grandchildren, including (in order of birth) Destiny Ojala, Mariah Lynn, Shandelle Rhyne, Casey Buckwalter Jr., Daniel Buckwalter Jr., Phillip Dennington, Loyd Dennington, Victory Dennington, Faith LaVine, Stevie LaVine, Anthony LaVine and Jamie LaVine; and many relatives in Potsdam. The family added, "Steve and Connie are expecting twin girls, and his other son, Steven Jr., is also expecting another grandchild, all of whom he would have loved to have seen." He was preceded in death by his mother, Ann Dibble. Arrangements were with Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.

Wasilla resident, Luella Maines age 86 passed away July 5, 2011 at Adams assisted living home in Wasilla, Alaska.A Celebration of Life gathering will be held on July 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM at the home of Bob and Pam Ockerlander 3720 W. Chestnut Lane in Wasilla, Alaska.Luella was born December 18, 1924 in St Paul, Minnesota daughter of Villus and Edna (Krey) Borchardt.Luella "Lou" Maines spent her youth on a farm in Wisconsin during the depression; she loved adventure and travel and was never afraid to go it alone.During her life she made homes in Washington, Texas, and Georgia, but called Alaska home;As a widow and young single mother she transported race cars across the Midwest to make ends meat. She also owned and operated two successful taverns.The early years in Alaska were spent on a rustic homestead in the Mat Su Valley where she loved to forage for wild berries and rose hips. Lou was known for her cooking, baking and canning and she often shared her bounty with others. Every place she lived she had a thriving garden and there were few periods in her life where she did not have a dog by her side; they were her love and constant companions.Lou enjoyed sharing her life with people and had a special place in her heart for children in need;She could talk with anyone she met and was a great listener. In her later years the telephone was an indispensable tool for her keeping in touch with friends and family when she could no longer travel. Two of her former husbands were career military men and she joined them in supportingYoung men and women who were far from home. Lou was an indomitable woman who when she decided on a course of action no obstacle stood in her way.The family extends heartfelt appreciation to Juanita, Sharra, and Warren at Adams assisted living home for the loving care they extended to our mother during her final illness. We also send our gratitude to Dr. Cathy Baldwin Johnson for her many years as Lou's physician; her loving kindness and patience with our mother will always be remembered.Lou is survived by her daughter and son in law Pam and Bob Ockerlander of Wasilla, Alaska,daughter Shani Fournier of Freedonia, NY; her granddaughters Amy Ockerlander Brookfield and her husband Alan Brookfield of Ballard, WA, Nora Kelly and her husband Charles of Rincon, GA. She is also survived by her granddaughter Tech Sargeant Megan Fournier who is proudly serving our Country in Iraq of Freedonia, NY, and grandson Jacob Cunningham of Freedonia, NY. and great granddaughters Claire and Isabella Kelly of Rincon, GA. She is also survived by her sister Shirley Labelle of St Paul, MN.The family suggests memorials be made to the Covenant House 609 F Street Anchorage, AKThe family was cared for by Valley Funeral Home and Crematory Wasilla, Alaska.


TRAPPER CREEK -- Rodney Norwood Marsh, 77, died Oct. 5, 2010 at Trapper Creek. He was born on June 28, 1932 in Fort Riley, Kansas to Samuel E. and Loeta Marsh. He was in the first class to graduate from Shasta College, in Redding, Calif. He was also a graduate of California State University-Chico in Chico, Calif. He served the nation with honor and distinction in the California Army National Guard enlisting as a private and retiring as a major from the 149th Armor Regiment, Salinas, Calif. In 1970 he moved to Trapper Creek. Rodney retired as the senior vice president of lending at Alaska Federal Credit Union. He was a life-long civic-minded individual who served on boards for Credit Union 1. He served on the Historical Preservation Commission of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough as well as the Trapper Creek Community Council, Trapper Creek Historical Society, Sunshine Clinic Board of Directors, KTNA Public Radio Board of Directors, Trapper Creek Comprehensive Planning Team as well as many others. In his spare time, he enjoyed hunting, fishing, history, genealogy and antique collecting. Rodney was loved dearly and will be missed by his family, friends and his much loved dog, Petunia. He is survived by his daughter, Susan Shearer of Hollister, Calif.; daughter, Elizabeth Marsh Copus of Hollister; daughter, Kristin Marsh Vernor of Hollister; son, Peter Marsh of Hollister; son, Rodney Marsh of Anchorage; bother, Kenneth Lane Marsh of Trapper Creek; brother, Gordon E. Marsh of Corning, Calif.; 11 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents and sisters, Patricia Marsh and Laura Lea Ford. A funeral was held at the Fort Richardson Main Post Chapel. Interment with military honors followed a at Fort Richardson National Cemetery. Arrangements are under the care of Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.

McCORMICK Edward McCormick, 78, died April 2, 2001, at home in Wasilla, Alaska. Mr. McCormick was born Aug. 29, 1922, in Rampart, Alaska, and is survived by his sister Martha C. Littlefield and his 13 nieces and 11 nephews who are the children of his predeceased siblings.
McFARLIN Donald W. McFarlin Jr., 50, died Nov. 27, 2004, at home in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. McFarlin was born March 30, 1954, in Anchorage, Alaska. He is survived by his son, Troy A. McFarlin; parents, Don and Hazel McFarlin; sisters, Clovis Leiser and Roxanne Smyers; and brothers, John McFarlin and Paul McFarlin.
MISHAKOFF Reka Mishakoff, 48, died March 8, 2002, in Wasilla, Alaska. She was born in Tyonek, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Colleen Mishakoff and Darleen Mishikoff; son, Brian Peter; grandchildren, Leeanne Smoke, Natalee Smoke, Celeena Mishakoff, Gregorey Smoke; sisters, Emma Constantine, Ethel Musgrove, Vera Trenton, Annie Peter, and Elsie Giles; and brothers, Samuel Peter, Gordon Peter, and Jerry Peter.
MOSHER Longtime Alaska resident Alice Lorraine Mosher, 84, died of cancer June 30, 2005, at home in Anchorage while surrounded by her family. A funeral will be at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 2301 Strawberry Road. A celebration of life will follow at the Smith home. Call Barbara at 277-7809. Mrs. Mosher was born March 25, 1921, in Sisseton, S.D., to Anna and Peter Olson. She moved to Seattle in the '40s and met and married George Mosher in 1945. They had four children, Barbara, Julie, Rick and Christine. The couple drove up the Alaska Highway in 1952 and fell in love with Alaska. They built many homes in the Anchorage area along with their cabin at Big Lake, which they enjoyed with their children for many years. In 1974, the Moshers moved to Ellensburg, Wash., where they lived for five years. In 1979, they returned to Alaska and retired at their Big Lake cabin. When George became ill, they returned to Anchorage to be near their children. Mrs. Mosher loved gardening and church work. She was preceded in death by her husband, George, and nine siblings. Mrs. Mosher is survived by her daughters and sons-in-law, Barbara and Rick Smith of Anchorage, Julie and Roger DeHeer of Anchorage, and Chris and George Wyatt of Ellensburg; son, Rick Mosher and his friend, Pam Gallivo of Anchorage; grandchildren, Lonny DeHeer of Anchorage and Angela and Michelle Wyatt of Ellensburg; great-grandson, Lonnie S.L. DeHeer of Anchorage; and sister, Pearl Jacobson of Minneapolis. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial contributions be made in her name to Denali Hospice, 3935 Reka Drive, Anchorage 99508. Arrangements are with Kehl's Forest Lawn Mortuary.
MUNSON Helen Munson, 73, died Aug. 24, 2000 in Wasilla, Alaska. Mrs. Munson was born Aug. 5, 1927 in Kokrines, Alaska. She is survived by her children, Mary Munson Shepler, Oscar Munson III, Carol Munson, Robert Munson, Arlene Dodson, David Munson, June Montgomery and Ruby Munson; grandchildren, Teresa and Tami Stephan, Melinda and Melanie Munson, Rose, Rachael and Robert Chilligan, Shane, Samantha, Dave Jr. and Stephen Montgomery, and Stephanie Munson; and one great granddaughter, Micala.
NICOLI Gerald Roy Nicoli, 68, died July 31, 2003, in Anchorage, Alaska. He was born Jan. 14, 1935, at Susitna Station and lived his life in Talkeetna. Mr. Nicoli attended Mount Edgecumbe and was honorably discharged from the Army National Guard in 1966. He loved hunting, fishing, working with wood and painting. He is survived by his brother, William B. Nicoli; sisters, Virginia Cullars and Donna Schwiezer; children, Renee Rebecca Nicoli, Brenda Marie Nicoli, Bonnie Lee Nicoli, and Gerald Roy Nicoli, Jr.; and many grandchildren.
ODSATHER Mary Estella "Stella" Irwin Odsather, 92, died peacefully July 23, 2010, in Anchorage. A celebration of life and reception will be at 2 p.m. Aug. 7 at First Presbyterian Church, 616 W. 10th Ave.Stella was born Dec. 5, 1917, to Don and Amy Pearl Gould Irwin in Basin, Wyo.Her family arrived in Alaska on June 21, 1934, settling into their home in Palmer, where her father became the director of the Matanuska Experimental Farm and was later appointed by President Roosevelt as the first director of the Colony Project. She graduated in 1935 from the one-room school near Palmer. Stella attended the Alaska College of Agriculture and Mines in Fairbanks from 1935 to 1937, studying home economics.Stella's future husband, Louis Odsather, was hired by Don Irwin in 1935 and became the manager of the Colony Project's Trading Post. On Sept. 16, 1937, Louie and Estella were the first couple married in the United Protestant Church of Palmer, known as "the church of a thousand trees." In 1938, they moved to Anchorage, where Louie went into partnership in Lucky's Grocery.In 1950, they sold their interest in Lucky's, securing an interest in the Parsons Hotel and the Coffee-Simpson Insurance Company (later to became Odsather-Simpson Insurance Inc.). They raised their family in Anchorage. In 1976, they moved to their "cabin" on Wasilla Lake. Stella remained at the "cabin" after Louie's passing until 2008, when she moved into the Anchorage Providence Horizon House.In 1964, Stella started working for the Anchorage School District in the food service program at West Anchorage High, where she trained at-risk youths, retiring as food services manager in 1974.In 1991, her keen interest in Alaska's senior citizens lead to Stella's appointment by Gov. Walter Hickel as a member of the Pioneer Home Advisory Board and the Older Alaskans Commission until her retirement in 2002. Also in 1991, she was the Mat-Su delegate to the Conference on Aging in Washington, D.C. In 1990, she was a charter member of the Circumpolar Health Board, spearheaded by the first Matanuska Colony doctor, Dr. Albrecht.Stella was a member of the Pioneers of Alaska Anchorage and Palmer Igloos, Real Alaskans, Alaska Yukon Pioneers, Anchorage Emblem Club 329 and the First Presbyterian Church in Anchorage and Wasilla. With a beautiful singing voice, she was an original member of the Anchorage Community Chorus. Her activities included: past president of Beta Sigma Phi; active supporter of the Boy Scouts and Sea Scouts; leader for the Campfire Girls; secretary for the Salvation Army's Booth Memorial Home; Past Worthy Matron of the Order of Eastern Star 4 and Mother Advisor of the Rainbow Girls. In 1974, she was president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Pioneers of Alaska and the next year she and Louie served as Queen and King Regent at the Alaska Fur Rendezvous. In 1979, they were selected as the National Civilian Leaders for the Military by the YMCA for their tireless efforts serving as "Mom and Dad" to the Outstanding Military for the Fur Rendezvous.Stella was preceded in death by her parents; husband of 52 years, Louis; and brother, Don Irwin.She is survived by her sons and daughters-in-law, Richard and Shirley of Fairbanks, and Kenneth and Gay of Anchorage; daughter, Kathy of San Francisco; grandsons, Jon (Missy) Odsather, Erik Odsather, Norman (Kristin) Odsather and Martin Odsather; great-grandchildren, Taylor Littell, Mason and Aislynn Odsather, Alec Solvang and Ryan Odsather; sister, Ina Belle Irwin Boss Kennedy of Bellingham, Wash.; and special friends, Ed Walker of Palmer and Sandy Johnson of Anchorage.Stella loved Alaska and, through her friendships with many throughout the state and nation, cherished her relationships with all she knew. Stella and Louie had a remarkable gift of greeting old friends and effortlessly making new ones."While socializing at events," her family said, "our parents would, with all the joy and gusto, recollect names and something very special about each individual they met. We would watch in awe as Mom and Dad 'worked the crowd.' We imagine they are up there right now getting reacquainted, 'working the crowd' and waiting for us to follow."She was a grand lady of the old school, they said.Arrangements are with Alaskan Heritage Memorial Chapel.
ONDOLA George Ondola, Jr., 37, of Anchorage, Alaska died October 20, 1998. Mr. Ondola was born November 26, 1960 in Palmer, Alaska. He is survived by his parents Susie and George Ondola Sr.; sisters Marie Ondola-Miller, Marlene and Marianne Ondola; brother and sister-in-law Walter and Janet Ondola; son Jeremy; nephews Chris, Shawn, Darrell, Leonty, Johnny, John, Bryan, Eric and Brandon; nieces Deseree, Carolyn, Edith, Lisa and Aurora; great-nieces Kayla and Salena; uncles Roy, Jerry and Carl Ondola, George Stem, Freddy Yakasoff, Gilbert Rosenberg, Leland Cook, Bill Churchill and Gilbert Gutierrez; aunts Marie Rosenberg, Sophie Gutierrez, Dorothy Cook, Gena Ondola, Sally, Ann Stem, Agnes Brookley and Jeannie Reekie; and numerous cousins in Alaska and the Lower 48.
OVERTON Aniak resident Lee Frank Overton, 78, died Feb. 4, 2006, at home. A service will be at noon Thursday at Kehl's Forest Lawn Chapel with a visitation at 11 a.m. Mr. Overton was born Nov. 22, 1927, in Broadus, Mont., to Esther and Loy Overton. He moved to Alaska in 1949 when he drove up the Alaska Highway with his brothers. He lived in Seward, Palmer, Eagle River from 1957 to 1977, and in Aniak until his death. Mr. Overton was a refrigeration supervisor for Fort Richardson and was a civilian employee and self-employed. He retired from Fort Richardson in December 1977 and had served in the Navy. Mr. Overton was a member of the Kuskokwim Mission in Aniak. His family wrote: "Lee always was there to help anyone. He was always busy doing something. He truly loved the Lord Jesus Christ and served faithfully in the church. He will be truly missed by family and friends, but we'll see him again in heaven." Mr. Overton is survived by his wife, Agnes Overton; children, Sam Overton and Elaine Simeon, both of Aniak, and Ellie Wright of Wasilla; grandchildren, Pete Tom Kelila, Christina, Gary Jr., Gerald, Joshua, Charlene and Pete Wright, Jasmin, Shelby Lee and Soren Simeon and Stephanie Overton; and siblings, Carol, Lone, Darlene, Vearl and Allen. He was preceded in death by his parents, Loy and Esther Overton; siblings, Clifford, Evelyn, Ollie; and son, Walter Overton.
PETERSON Michael Duane Peterson, Jr., 22, died May 18, 2002, near Houston, Alaska. Mr. Peterson is survived by his wife, Lori Peterson; mother, Lori Lee (Gallen) Gonzales; father, Michael D. Peterson, Sr.; and Cody James Peterson.
PINE William Michael "Mike" Pine, 56, died Aug. 5, 2010, at St. Elias Hospital in Anchorage due to respiratory and renal failure.A memorial service for family and friends will be at 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Wasilla Senior Center, 1301 S. Century Circle in Wasilla.Mike was born Aug. 20, 1953, in Oklahoma City, Okla., to Earl and Sylvia (Connell) Pine.In May of 1970, he and his family moved from Happy Camp, Calif., to Alaska living in the Palmer and Wasilla areas.In his early years, he worked as a hired hand at several Point MacKenzie farms. He was later employed as a heavy-duty-tire repairman at various businesses in the Valley until his health declined.His family stated: "Mike was a hard-working man throughout his life. He had a mind of his own, but he was also a kind man with a big heart. He was always there to lend a helping hand to family and friends and would have given you the shirt off his back if you needed it. He was "Uncle Mike" to many and always had special names for his nieces and nephews when they were growing up. He enjoyed fishing, camping, playing games and visiting family and friends. He loved music and his own version of the "Who did it" game. He truly loved his dog, Duke. He was loved by many and will be deeply missed."He is survived by his brother, Ronald (Charlene) Pine of Wasilla; sister, Debbie (Rick) Hartman of Palmer; brother, David (Karen) Pine of Eagle River; sister, Karen Pine of Willow; numerous nieces and nephews; and best friend, his beloved dog, Duke.He was preceded in death by his brother, Doug; and parents, Earl and Sylvia Pine.Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.
QUARTLY Paul Quartly died Aug. 1, 2010, at the age of 66 in a plane crash in Denali National Park.A celebration of life will be at 2 p.m. Aug. 14 at the Wolf Lake Airport in Wasilla.Paul was born Nov. 20, 1943, in Bakersfield, Calif., and raised at Lake Tahoe. He later moved to Washington, where he worked in the timber industry. In 1975, he moved to Alaska where he worked for many years on the North Slope and on numerous construction projects throughout the state.He first lived in Eagle River, then moved to Soldotna and finally settled in Wasilla. He loved his work, as well as tinkering in his shop, traveling to faraway places and watching his beloved Alaska Aces. He knew many people from one end of Alaska to the other and was a friend to many.He is survived by his wife, Rose of Wasilla; his son, J.D.; daughter-in-law Jenya; and granddaughter, Alyson, all of Kenai; brother, Warren Quartly and his family of Longview, Wash.; step-hildren, Donnie and Libbie Lozier of Spanaway, Wash., and Billi Mingo of Hawaii; as well as numerous step-grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.Arrangements are with Legacy Funeral Homes & Cremation Services, Kehl's Palmer Chapel;
QUEST Helen Agnes Quest, 83, of Anchorage, died Saturday, Dec. 29, 2007, at Providence Hospital after declining health and a brief illness. Funeral services were held in Anchorage, followed by services and burial in Grand Junction, Colo. She was born March 5, 1924, in Beaver Dam, Wis., daughter of Sylvester and Marcella (Roark) Thoma. Helen went to school and spent her childhood in the Beaver Dam area. On March 2, 1943, she married Donald Quest in Richwood, Wis. Helen and Don farmed in Mud Lake until they bought a farm on Quest Road near Clyman, Wis. Together Helen and Don became parents of 11 children. In 1962, the family moved to Grand Junction where they continued farming until 1973. At that time, Helen and Don and their younger children moved to Anchorage, where they established the Magi-Clean carpet cleaning business. Their cabin property at Chickaloon was a source of enjoyment and relaxation for Helen and Don and their entire family. Countless friends were welcomed there. The Quests traveled extensively and enjoyed a vacation home in Hawaii for many years. Helen was a devoted wife and dearly loved her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She loved to cook, bake and can her garden produce, and was known for the honey she made from corncobs and wildflowers from Chickaloon. Needle-point, crafts and writing letters were among her many creative interests. Survivors include her husband, Donald; children, Carol Kocher (Bob) of Beaver Dam, James Quest (Rosila) of Anchorage, Ronald Quest (Joan) of Parachute, Colo., Susan Garner of Anchorage, Edward Quest (Pamela) of Pipe Creek, Texas, Eva Quest of Anchorage, Joseph Quest (Rhea) of Loma, Colo., Helen Kinsey of Anchorage, Kristine Paeth (David) of Anchorage, and David Quest of Eugene, Ore.; grandchildren, Donald and Edward Kocher, Kim Crummit, James Quest, Russell and Matthew Quest, Michael and Christopher Garner, Joseph Cline, Patrick Quest, Misty Gilbert, Amber Hill, Jason and Jamie Paeth, Tarren Stitchler, Janelle and Brandon Quest; great-grandchildren, Alahna, Adrian and Victoria Guthrie, Mackenzie and Schuyler Garner, Samantha and Elizabeth Garner, Sean Beliveau, and Christopher Cline, Travis and Justin Weldon, Kassidee Gilbert, Kaitlynn Lulay, and Mariah, Shannon, Taylor and Jordan Stitchler; and her sisters, Florence Riedl, Elizabeth Quest and Marian Kreuziger, all of Wisconsin. Helen was preceded in death by her parents; her brother, Joseph; a son, Thomas; a grandson, Gregory Quest; and great-grandson, Devin Cline.
RICHARDSON George W. Richardson, 75, died Nov. 16, 2003, at home in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. Richardson was born Nov. 18, 1927, in Zelma, Missouri. He is survived by his daughters, Betty Diane Richardson-Bettis, Naomi Danna Haws, Jean Jolene Richardson; son, Richard Lee Richardson; grandchildren, Selena Fischer, Rodney Bettis, Jonathan Ash, Adam Bettis, Jacquelyn Richardson, Anthony Haws, Shanna Haws, George Richardson II, and Dylan Richardson; five sisters and three brothers.

Longtime Anchorage resident William Keith Rizer, 70, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer Aug. 31, 2010, with his family by his side. He passed away at his family's cabin near Talkeetna.A celebration of his life will be at 6 p.m. Thursday at Cornerstone Church, 10431 Brayton Drive, Anchorage. Turnagain Church of Christ minister Mark Henry and family friend Bob Lawrence will officiate at the service.Keith was born July 13, 1940, in Port Arthur, Texas, to Louis and Norma Rizer. He graduated from Abilene Christian College with a bachelor's degree in general business.In July of 1963, Keith packed his belongings into a Chevy station wagon and drove from Texas to Alaska with his new bride, Ann. Keith was a spirited adventurer and fell in love with nature and the beauty of God's creation during his 47 years in Alaska. Among his many interests, he was extremely passionate about camping, hunting, flying, sailing, and mountaineering. Standing on the summit of Alaska's Mount McKinley and climbing Mount Aconcagua in Argentina were two of his most treasured accomplishments.Keith's life work involved helping people plan for the future. He was a financial professional and, during his last 10 years of life, he proudly worked side-by-side in a partnership with his son, Darron. Keith carried in his heart the highest standard of work ethics, which enabled him to create a beautiful, stable environment for his family to thrive in. Over 40 years ago, with the help of his wife and dear friends, he built a home on the Anchorage hillside. And with the help of some of those same dear friends as well as many new friends, he worked beside his family to create a magnificent lakeside retreat -- a special gathering place in the woods that his wife, children, and grandchildren will always call "Our Cabin."Keith was a member of the Turnagain Church of Christ. He was a church elder, previously on the board of The American Lung Association, previously elected president of National Association of Life Underwriters, and achieved 42 years of Presidents Council/Top Club honors with the MONY Group.Keith was a man of faith who strengthened and encouraged those around him. By example, he challenged us to overcome and succeed in life. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend. He will be greatly missed. Keith helped us to understand that "we will be remembered forever by the tracks we leave behind."He is survived by his wife, Beverly Ann Rizer of Anchorage; sister, Marilynn Brannon of Abilene, Texas; daughters and sons-in-law, Kimberly and Mark Fressell of Destin, Fla.; Teresa and Scott Coronado of Anchorage; Christina and Rick Loveless of Wasilla; Suzanne and Edward Jones of Anchorage; son and daughter-in-law, Darron and Jennifer Rizer of Anchorage; grandchildren, Brookelynn and Maximus Coronado of Anchorage; Brandolynn, Slayter, Richard, Randall, Tressa and Tiffany Loveless of Wasilla; Cassey Jones of Anchorage; and Preston, Payton and Parker Rizer of Anchorage.He was preceded in death by his parents, Louis and Norma Rizer, as well as his brother, Craig Rizer.Memorial donations may be sent to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, 2141 Rosecrans Ave., Suite 7000, El Segundo, Calif., 90245, or by phone at 1-877-272-6226 or's ashes will be scattered over Mount McKinley, Caswell Lakes and in Texas.Arrangements were with Valley Funeral Home and Crematory in Wasilla.

SHADE TALKEETNA -- Kathryn Shade, age 88, of Talkeetna passed away in her home due to natural causes on Oct. 14, 2008. Valley Funeral Home is handling final arrangements
SHAGINOFF John Shaginoff died March 16, 2001, at the Palmer Pioneer Home in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. Shaginoff was born Dec. 5, 1909, in Knik, Alaska. He is survived by sons, Burt, Don, Jim and Lloyd Shaginoff; daughters-in-law, Sandy and Ingrid Shaginoff; twelve grandchildren and many great grand children.
SHANNON Judy Ann Shannon, 52, died July 15, at the Valley Hospital in Palmer. Ms. Shannon was born Dec. 18, 1952, in San Francisco, Calif. She is survived by her daughters, Audrey Norbo, Christina Olsen and Lillian Shannon; and sisters, Ginny Hale and Gina Knight.
SMITH Nathan O. Smith, 81, died April 5, 2002, at home in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. Smith was born in Palmer, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter, Vicki L. Pedersen, and grandson, Kevin S. Koslosky.
SNELSON Randy Gene Snelson, 46, died Jan. 20, 2006, at his home in Houston of a seizure. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Palmer Church of the Nazarene on Hemmer Road. The Rev. Micky Boyer will officiate. Mr. Snelson was born Dec. 12, 1959, to Dale and Patricia Snelson in Riverside, Calif. He graduated from Hinkley High School in Aurora, Colo., in 1979. His family wrote: "Randy moved to Alaska in 1981 and fell in love with the state. He loved the outdoors and was involved in snowmachining and four-wheeling. He was a true Alaskan in every sense of the word. He had a great love for children and was a very giving person. He had many friends that he cherished and spent lots of time with. He truly was a very loved man. Randy will be missed but never forgotten." He was preceded in death by his brother, Ronald Snelson; sister, Jana Snelson-Roseberry; and stepfather, Toru Gotori. He is survived by his father and stepmother, Dale and Pamela Snelson of Palmer; mother, Patricia Gotori of Aurora, Colo.; sisters, Cary Grant and Kim Gotori of Aurora; brothers, Ricky and Steven Snelson of Palm Springs, Calif.; maternal grandparents, Dale and Lillie Mahan; nephews, Jason Rusk, Cory Shanklin, Jacob Snelson, Jared Roseberry and Christian Grant; nieces, Stacy Sparks, Jaime Fertal, and Reina and Rebecca Snelson; great-nephews, Landon Sparks and Matthew Rusk; great-niece, Makayla Rusk; many aunts, uncles and cousins; and longtime friends, Herb Badger and Matt Dillon. Cremation arrangements were with Valley Funeral Home.
SOULAK Palmer resident David L. Soulak, 73, died peacefully at home Aug. 11, 2010, after a long battle with cancer.A funeral will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Palmer. A celebration of life will take place immediately afterward at the St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer.David was born Sept. 3, 1936, to Mary and Harold Soulak in Adams, Wis., and was raised there. After graduation, he served in the Air Force from 1954 to 1958.While studying architecture in college, he became a part-time city building inspector. His next job helped him make a career change from architecture to engineering. In a short time, he worked in various city governments as sewer and water director, public works director and city manager.In 1981, he moved to Palmer as the city manager, retiring in 1993. During his tenure, he was instrumental in developing the Public Safety Complex that included the Mat-Su Pretrial Facility, Alaska Courthouse, Alaska State Troopers administrative offices and the new Palmer Police Department. He was also instrumental in securing land for the Alaska Job Corps Center in Palmer.He also spearheaded the effort to obtain land and funding for the Palmer Golf Course. He was an extraordinary grant writer and his accomplishments for the City of Palmer are too numerous to mention. Under his leadership and tight fiscal management, Palmer lowered taxes and maintained services.He was actively involved in promoting municipal issues statewide and was involved with the Alaska Municipal League. While in Palmer, he was the first recipient of the Employee of the Year award presented by the Alaska Municipal League. He was also a strong advocate of the Sister City Program and considered Saroma Town, Japan, his second home and Mayor Hori his "brother."Unable to remain idle, he found himself as administrator/city manager helping the communities of Wrangell, Sand Point, Naknek and Unalakleet. In 2003, he was the CEO of MTNT Ltd. in McGrath.He is survived by his wife, Christine Woods Soulak; daughter, Bonnie (James) Hysmith of Spring, Texas; son, John Soulak of Wasilla; stepsons, Warren and Robert Woods; five grandchildren; two brothers, Joseph of South Milwaukee, Wis., and Gerald of Wonder Lake, Ill.; and his sister, Marjorie Sell of Janesville, Wis.
STACKHOUSE Mark Douglas "Stack" Stackhouse, 55, of Wasilla, lost his battle with cancer on Thursday, August 12, 2010. A memorial service will be held at the trailhead to the Independence Mine at 11 a.m. on Aug. 28. For more information, please call Midge at 907-841-9275 or Geo. Steven at 907-775-7771.Stack was born on July 19, 1955, in Canyonville, Ore., to Geo. William and Maria "Snooks" Stackhouse. Stack was married for eight years to Verna Engle Stackhouse and for 10 years to Midge Howard Stackhouse.Stack graduated from Glendale High School in Glendale, Ore. After high school, he worked in the logging industry in the woods and in the lumber mills. Stack also worked for the Kay County, Oklahoma, and Lincoln County, Oregon, school districts in the maintenance department and for a brief time as a bartender in the Oregon coastal town of Lincoln City. Most recently he was employed by Wolverine Supply of Wasilla and Three Bears Market. Wherever Stack worked he truly enjoyed hard labor and comradeship with coworkers.Stack is survived by his mother, Ria Hull; two sisters, Patti Palmer and Judi Kimbrough, all of Oregon; a brother, Geo. Steven Stackhouse of Big Lake; two children, Samuel "Harry" Stackhouse and Rachel Engle Stackhouse, both of Oklahoma; two stepchildren, Brian Williams of Wasilla and Mia Williams-Martinez of Visalia, Calif.; three granddaughters, Kylie and Kyann Cato of Oklahoma and Briley Williams of Wasilla; and many nieces and nephews. Stack was blessed to have many friends, whom he considered "extended family".Stack's family wishes to thank Pat Berry and her staff and residents at Granny's Down Home Care Center in Wasilla for the excellent and compassionate care he received while living with them.Arrangements are with the Cremation Society of Alaska,
STEPHAN Indian Jim came to town and reported he shot and killed Old Tom Stephan some 20 days ago near Nelchina District.  Jim hauled him down to Chickaloon Coal Camp and buried him no details.  Reported to have had a quarrel. Herning Diaries 12/7/1914. Extracted courtesy of Coleen Mielke. Thanks Coleen!
STICKMAN Ivan Stickman, 67, died November 6, 1999, at the Alaska Native Medical Center. Mr. Stickman was born in Chickaloon, Alaska, on December 22, 1931. He was preceded in death by his parents Walter and Helen Stickman; sisters Louise and Betsy Stickman; uncle Harry Nickolai and Buffy. Mr. Stickman is survived by many relations in the Chickaloon, Palmer, Sutton, Gulkana, Valdez Creek and Copper Center areas.
STINEBURG Myron William F. Stineburg, 49, of Anchorage, Alaska died April 30, 1999 at his home. Mr. Stineberg was born December 22, 1951 in Palmer, Alaska. He is survived by his son Lonnie W. Stineberg; mother Elizabeth Mills (Ezi); sisters Rebecca and Kristina Stineberg, Maria Coleman, Bernice May, Jeraldine and Beverly Mills; brothers Sam, David, Henry and Mike Stineburg, James, Lundy and Benjamin Mills; uncles Jim and Sam Ezi.
TABER Wasilla resident Rowdy Jay Gaston Taber, 15, died Aug. 4, 2010, as a result of an auto accident at Point MacKenzie.A funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Alaskan Heritage Memorial Chapel and Crematory, 1015 S. Check St., Wasilla, with visitation beginning at noon. Burial will follow at Aurora Cemetery. Pastor David Pepper of the Church on the Rock will officiate.Rowdy was born on Feb. 16, 1995, in Forest Grove, Ore., and came to Alaska that year. Rowdy would have been a sophomore at Wasilla High School this year.His family wrote: "They say the good die young, and that has never been truer than with Rowdy. He was a wonderful amazing awesome young man. His energy radiated in to the world like a ray of sunshine. Rowdy lit the lives of many through his sincere smile and his incredible sense of humor. He loved four-wheeling, snowboarding, playing video games and guitar. He had a love for music, and nothing made him happier than hanging out with his friends. He played basketball, soccer and football. He also had a very unique bond and love for animals. Rowdy had the heart of a bear -- loyal, compassionate and generous. He was they type of young man who was never afraid to be himself no matter what the situation. There are not enough words to describe how much he is loved and how much he is missed. Rowdy's spirit lives on in the hearts of many."Rowdy's dad, Ron Taber, would like for all of Rowdy's friends to know that anything they need, he's here for them. "God Bless all you children and know that we love you all.Rowdy is survived by his parents, Ron and Marcell Taber of Wasilla; three brothers, Ron Jr., Joshua and Jacob; four sisters, Janna, Lacretia, Ann and Kylie; maternal grandmother, Judy Teel and maternal grandfather, Ken Teel; paternal grandmother, Mary Joyce Baird and paternal grandfather, Ronald Marion Taber; nine aunts and uncles and their families.The family has requested Memorial Contributions be directed to the Rowdy Taber Memorial Account at any branch of Alaska USA Federal Credit Union.
Alice B. Theodore, 78 died Aug. 16, 2000 at Valley Hospital in Palmer, Alaska. Mrs. Theodore was born in Knik, Alaska on April 15, 1922. She is survived by daughters Rosie Choquette, Patsy Garcia and Martha Stephan; sons Sam, Arthur, Paul, Ronnie, Raymond, Randolph and Larry and many other grandchildren and great-grand-children
THEODORE Sam Theodore, 57, died June 5, 2002, at home in Wasilla, Alaska. Mr. Theodore was born Oct. 8, 1944, in Knik, Alaska. He is survived by his sisters, Rosie Choquette; Patsy Garcia and Martha Stephan; and brothers, Art, Paul, Ronnie, Raymond, Randolph and Larry Theodore.
WAYNE 1952-2008 TALKEETNA -- Craig Buckley Wayne was born Jan. 28, 1952, in Tucson, Ariz., to Isabel Jean and Buckley Wayne. He passed away June 28, 2008 in Talkeetna on his way to one of his great fishing holes. A celebration of his life took place Sunday, Aug. 3, 2008 at 2 p.m. in the VFW Hall on Veteran's Way and D Street in Talkeetna. He lived a beautiful life, one full of adventure, love and friendship. As a young man, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps and upon receiving an honor -able discharge, he headed to Oklahoma to attend college, earning both an A.A. and B.A. in Ag Ed. After college, Craig ventured to Wyoming where he was lucky enough to fall in love twice. He married Kelly Whitlock, and they had two wonderful daughters, Stacey Ellen and Trisha Lea. The two divorced in 1983. Craig remarried, to Leanne Kennedy. They were married for seven years. After divorcing for the second time, he moved to Elko, Nev. In Elko, he worked as a gold miner and found his calling as an aggressive and determined union member, passionately filing grievance after grievance after grievance… challenging unsafe and irresponsible mining practices. He had always dreamed of adventuring to Alaska, and in August 2004, he pursued this dream. His life in Alaska was filled with happiness, friendship, fishing, hunting, gardening, dancing-finally, he had found his true element. Our father was a great man. He was fearless, kind, honest, hard-working. He was a great cook, too. He always volunteered to be “C.B.” And, looking back, we probably should have had one more helping of whatever he made. He was good with words, a great country dance partner, and if he was feelin’ fine, he would sing his heart out. He “adopted” many good kids and touched many people, especially in their times of need. Many will remember him most for his generosity and few will ever forget him. He was preceded in death by his mother, his father and brother. He is survived by daughters Stacey (David Edson) Wayne of Elko and Trisha (Luke) Hanson of Victoria, Texas; grandchildren Trey and Jordice Edson of Elko and Cord Hanson of Victoria; sister Karen Moore of Tucson, Ariz.; nieces Laurie Moore and Robin Serna of Tucson; stepmother Patsy Wayne of Tucson; stepsiblings Billy, Jimmy, Jack and Sandy Weining of Tucson; and many nieces and nephews.
WICKERSHAM Anchorage Daily Times  August 18, 1924 - "Native Wife Shoots in Self-Defense When White Husband Attacks Her"" An article in the 8/18/1924 issue of the Anchorage Times relates the death of Jess Wickersham who was killed by his common-law native wife on 8/16/1924 at a cabin about two miles above Chickaloon on the Chickaloon River. The article says that the native woman reported that she had been originally attacked by Mr. Wickersham on July 4th. She told him at that time she would not allow him to beat her again. On August 16, Mr. Wickersham, who was drunk, started to attack the native woman with a sheaf knife.  After being cut on her hands, she shot her husband with a .32 Savage automatic three times.  One shot grazed the left side of his head, the second shot entered the neck and lodged in his spine and the third shot entered his hip.  Lee Harrison contacted the Deputy Marshal Frank Hoffman and told him of the shooting. A coroners jury  produced a verdict saying that Jess Wickersham had been killed by gunshot wounds at the hands of his common-law wife.  The body was taken to Chickaloon and placed on the railroad speeder car and sent to Anchorage.  The Marshall found a still at the cabin, that was not in use, as well as four gallons of moonshine, both were destroyed immediately. The newspaper article gives a brief description of Jess Wickersham.  He was reportedly well known in Anchorage and the surrounding territory and was about 48 years old. " Extracted courtesy of Coleen Mielke. Thanks Coleen!
WILLIAMS Tawni Agnes Williams, 50, body was found on Aug. 28, 2001, in Wasilla, Alaska. Ms. Williams was born Sept. 4, 1950, in Kenai, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Crystal Harren, Tawni Josephine, and Jennifer Ryan; and many sisters, brothers, cousins, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren.
WORTH Palmer resident Bonnie Burgoyne Worth, 74, died of natural causes June 29, 2005, at her home. A Mass of Christian burial will be read at 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Palmer with the Rev. Leo Desso officiating. A reception will follow at the church. Interment will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at Fort Richardson National Cemetery, with her first husband, William Burgoyne. Mrs. Worth was born Aug. 6, 1930, in Salt Lake City to Alva and Amy Schaelling Openshaw Emmertson. She graduated from West High School in Salt Lake City in 1948 and attended the University of Utah, where she met Bill Burgoyne. They were married March 17, 1972. He died Sept. 30, 2000. On July 4, 2003, she married Melvin Worth in Palmer. Mrs. Worth moved to Alaska in 1975, living first in Wasilla and then Palmer. She retired from the Matanuska Telephone Co. and later worked in the governor's Mat-Su office during the Cowper administration. In Utah, she worked for McGraw Edison Electric Co. and the Salt Lake Tribune Publishing Co. She was a past president of the League of Utah Writers, a charter member of the Mat-Su 99s (an international association of women pilots), a member of the Aircraft & Pilots Association and a member and past president of the Kiwanis Club of Palmer. She was a former volunteer at the Palmer Hospital and was elected to two terms to the board of the Matanuska Electric Association. She enjoyed sewing, reading, writing, flying and travel. Mrs. Worth was preceded in death by her first husband; a sister, Darlene "Babe" Oylear; brother, Alva Emmertson; nephew, Bruce Oylear; and sisters-in-law, Ruth Openshaw and Edna Emmertson. Mrs. Worth is survived by her husband, Melvin Worth of Palmer; brother, Vern Openshaw of Salt Lake City; brother-in-law, Dallas Oylear; several nieces and nephews in Utah and California; and her newly acquired family of children, grandchildren, great-grandchild and in-laws. Many friends, who were like a second family to her in Alaska, also survive her. Arrangements are with Valley Funeral Home & Crematory.


Return to Home Page


This page was last modified: Sunday, 13-May-2012 22:13:45 MDT  

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 10/1/2009 - thanks for stopping by!

Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.