Logo
ALASKA GENWEB PROJECT
YUKON-KOYUKUK CENSUS AREA, ALASKA
FRANK SLAVEN'S CABIN

Slaven's Cabin, also called Slaven's Roadhouse and Frank Slaven Roadhouse, is a public-use facility in the Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve in Alaska. The cabin is located on the Yukon River, 60 miles (97 km) upstream of Circle, Alaska, and 140 miles (225 km) northwest of Fairbanks, Alaska.

Miner Frank Slaven began excavations at nearby Coal Creek in 1905 and built the roadhouse in 1932 with several friends. The roadhouse was used until the 1950s and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. It also is included in the Coal Creek Historic Mining District, which is itself listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The cabin was restored in 1993 for use as a visitor contact area and public use facility. A separate public-use cabin also was built in 1993 at the location.

The complex is also an official "dog drop" along the 1,000 mile Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race route. Source: Wikipedia

 

 

 

Return to Home Page

 

©Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.