Search billions of records on

WARNING TO SMOKERS. -- A singular case of asphyxia is related lu one of the French journals.  A youth of the name of Lemoine, paid a visit to an uncle, who is a farm laborer in the neighborhood of Havre. This man occupied a small and ill-ventilated apartment. The nephew, a eight o'clock in the evening, went to bed in the room.  Soon after, the uncle and two companions entered the room, and all fell to smoking. The youth was asleep.
At midnight the visitors withdrew, and the uncle went to bed. Laying his hand on his nephew, he found him unnaturally cold, and endeavored to wake him, but without effect.  Help was called; some faint indications of life appeared, and a physician directed operations for the recovery of the patient. All proved vain, the next day he expired.  A post mortem examination was made, and the physician pronounced that he had died of congestion of the brain, caused by the respiration of tobacco smoke during his sleep.

The Daily State Guard, 13 March 1849
Autauga County