History of Barry Springs 

 

Barry Springs (shown on the maps as Berry Springs in error), located in the extreme northeastern part of Cherokee County, Alabama, was named for the Barry family. Even though the Cherokee Indians had occupied this area of Alabama for hundreds of years, John Barry's family was granted the land in 1843 and more still in 1844. A split log stockade in which the Cherokee Indians were held before they were moved west was built a few hundred yards from Barry Springs and was the source of water for the Indians while they were held there.

John Barry, son of Revolutionary War Patriot, Captain Andrew Barry and his wife Margaret Moore, was born March 4, 1771 in Spartanburg County, South Carolina; died March 30, 1844 in Cherokee County, Alabama near Barry Springs.

Acting Chief, National Register/National, Historic Landmarks Program.2005  Site - #05000787) Also known as Fort Likens Site

ALABAMA, Cherokee County Barry Springs, (Cherokee Trail of Tears MPS) 5261 Cty Rd. 99, Gaylesville, 0500078

Also written about in Google Books: Footsteps of the Cherokees By Vicki Rozema, P. 347

 

 Index  |   History  | Officers | Patriots