BON SECOUR - A settlement, located on Bon Secour River 7 miles southwest of Foley, was named by Spanish after the river and bay called "Rio del Socorro," "river with a good harbor." Later named by Frenchman Jacques Cook, Bon Secour means "safe harbor" or more literally, "the best chapel of ease." Nicholas Cook brother to explorer James Cook, came to Bon Secour River with his son, John, to sail these waters and establish a home.
Jean Baptiste LeMoyne Bienville and his brother built a fishing and hunting lodge at Bon Secour. A center of salt making during the Civil War, 'wells' where salt was distilled are still evident today. The first post office was established in 1875 kept by Theresa Margaret Keller Miller and was called "Theresa." It has been discontinued. Services at St. Peter's-by-the-Sea began in 1878. The first wedding ceremony in St. Peter's Church was that of James Allen and Winnifred Johnson.
Along graceful, quiet, Bon Secour River under ancient oaks draped with moss and wisteria entwined, are lovely homes. Fishermen and farmers are tied together by their kinship with the river and land access to them from many different roads.