Choctaw County's First Courthouse

CCGS Home > County History > County Map > Barrytown Area > Choctaw County's First Courthouse

Click for Larger Image

  When Choctaw County was formed from sections of Sumter and Washington County in 1847, Barrytown had been the county seat of Washington County, and served as the temporary county seat of Choctaw County until the new courthouse was built at Butler.
  The structure pictured here is made of logs scavenged from the county's first courthouse at Barrytown. It is on display at The Choctaw County Historical Museum in Gilbertown.


E-mail broken links to RandallM@tds.net