Georgia-Pacific, Naheola Mill

CCGS Home > County History > County Map > Naheola Area > Georgia-Pacific, Naheola Mill

  Naheola Mill began operation in August 1958 as the Marathon Southern Division of American Can Company. It was acquired in July 1982 by James River Corporation, which had been founded 13 years earlier in Richmond, Virginia. The merger with Fort Howard Corporation was completed on August 31, 1997, and launched Ft. James Corporation. The mill was acquired by Georgia-Pacific Corporation in November 2000.
  The mill employs approximately 1,450 employees, with an annual payroll of approximately $95 million. Union representation at the mill includes the Paper Allied Chemical & Energy Workers International Union (PACE), and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).
  Naheola mill produces over 650,000 tons of paper, paperboard and pulp annually, or 1,780 tons per day. The converting department produces 70,000 cases of paper products daily, and the shipping department ships 80 to 100 semi tractor-trailer loads of product per day from the Regional Distribution Center.
  The principal products manufactured at Naheola Mill are Quilted Northern & Quilted Northern Ultra bathroom tissue, Brawny paper towels, and paperboard that is manufactured into Dixie food and beverage containers, and food packaging and commercial printing papers at other Georgia-Pacific locations.

Mill facts courtesy of Georgia-Pacific Corporation. Used by permission.


E-mail broken links to RandallM@tds.net