The Mt. Sterling Methodist Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built circa 1859 and was used for church services up until 1976, when it was donated to The Choctaw County Historical Society.
Extensive renovations were done by the Historical Society, including new wiring, plumbing, air-conditioning, and other improvements. A mid-19th century syle addition was also built.
The building is now used for meetings and 19th century style ceremonies and reenactments.
As of the fall of 2001, there were still three gravemarkers in the cemetery behind the church. The cemetery was once larger, but the other markers, due to various reasons, have since disappeared.