Coffee County Heritage Book Project
Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society
Place: Welcome Center, Bollweevil Circle, Enterprise, Alabama
Dates: October 25th, 1999 6:30 pm
November 15th, 1999 6:60 pm
January 24th, 2000 6:30 pm
February 28th, 2000 6:30 pm
March 27th, 2000 6:30 pm
April 24th, 2000 6:30 pm
You are invited to publish your family history for free in the prestigious "COFFEE COUNTY HERITAGE OF ALABAMA" series. The Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society is right now gathering information on the history and genealogy of Coffee County for publication! I have personally viewed a copy of the Morgan County Heritage Book, and it is remarkable! It's a beautiful and informative book that any county and its' citizens would be very proud! Make sure that your family IS included by submitting your story to the PRHGS.
This book is Volume 16 of the prestigious 68 volume Heritage of Alabama Series, a collection of 67 county books and a compiled index of all family names.
Alabama is the "only" state in the United States to have a complete series published for every county in the state by one publisher!
- The Coffee County Heritage Book Committee is preparing a unique collection of family and topical stories from your submissions.
- All residents, former residents, and those with roots in Coffee County are invited to submit a family household history of 500 words and one photograph to be printed free! (If you would like to submit over the 500 word limit, you may do so by submitting story with fifteen cents per extra word over the 500 free words. If you would like to submit over the one photograph limit, please submit photograhs with fifteen dollars per photograph over the one free photograph.)
- This is a rare opportunity for you to have your family's history placed in library genealogical collections throughout Alabama and the nation! Free!
- This is a limited 9" x 12" book. It has a beautifully hardbound, ivy green, exquisitely gold stamped cover. There will be a limited overrun of extra copies. Only those ordering in advance at the pre-publication price are guaranteed to receive a copy.
- Save up to $15 over the post-publication price by ordering now at the pre-publication sale price. (The per book pre-publication price is $50.00 plus $4.00 sales tax if you pick up. The per book pre-publication price is $50.00 plus $4.00 sales tax and $5.00 shipping and handling if mailed to you.)
- Gold name imprinting only available on pre-publication sale orders. ($5.00 extra for a maximum of 25 letters and spaces.)
- These books will make excellent gifts for birthdays and holidays.
- Help keep costs down. Submit your story and photograph immediately, to help avoid the possibility of extra cost to the Heritage Book Committee for missing deadline for publication!!! Deadline for story submissions and pre-publication cost is January 31, 2000. Please submit your stories before December 31, 1999..folks these volunteers, themselves, have to ready these stories before presentation to the publisher. If deadline is missed, extra cost is incurred by the Heritage Book Committee, and this is a wonderful gesture on their part to having even offered to work on this project. In many counties, their Society's did not step forward and take on this challenge...it is being done by private citizens in some counties. Our Pea River Historical and Genealogical deserves a big pat on the back for this project!! So let's pat them on the back by getting our stories in early and help them to meet their deadline!! Thanks!
How To Write and Submit Your Story and Photograph
I. Who is eligible to partiipate?
- A. Coffee County residents
- B. Past Coffee County residents
- C. Those with roots in Coffee County
II. How much may I submit?
III. What will I write?
- A. Each household is encouraged to send in 500 words of family history and one photograph.
- B. These amounts will be published free.
- C. In addition, if your ancestors were in the county previous to 1890, you may submit 500 words of pioneer history and another photograph per household. Only one pioneer story is permitted at no extra cost per family grouping or genealogy. You may combine these words and the 500 words of II. A. into one article. A one column-wide photograph may replace the two single photographs allowed.
- D. Additional words are .15¢ per word. Each additional regular photograph, each full column width photo, or each double deep photo is $15.00 per photo. A two-column wide, double-deep photograph may be purchased for an extra $45.00.
- A. About your ancestors.
- 1. Why and when they came to Coffee County.
- 2. Births, marriages, and death dates.
- B. Yourself and your family.
- 1. Childhood, school days, and other events.
- 2. Jobs, residences, and pastimes.
- 3. Details of ancestry to preserve for future generations.
IV. Article directions.
- A. Double-spaced type or word processing on bond paper.
- B. Include at end of article:
- 1. Word count and sources. (I.E. Birth certificate, census, public record)
- 2. Your name and address.
- 3. Typed photo caption(s).
V. Photograph directions.
- A. Kinds and sizes.
- 1. We cannot be responsible for your original and valuable photographs. PLEASE, only submit DUPLICATES of your photographs!
- 2. We will accept 35 mm color, black & white or studio quality prints.
- 3. No photocopies or faded ™Polaroid prints will be accepted for use. Laser prints must be on photographic paper.
- 4. Any size up to 8" x 10".
- 5. All photographs will be reduced to 2 1/2" x 1 3/4" size, unless you pay the extra amount described in II.D., or it qualifies as pioneer status.
- B. Identification.
- 1. Place a return address label with telephone number on the back of each photo, or print information lightly on photo back with a felt tip pen.
- 2. Include stamped, self-addressed envelope, if you want your photos returned by mail.
- C. Captions.
- 1. Limited to 10 words.
- 2. Type captions at the end of the article.
VI. Additional articles.
VII. Writing assistance.
- A. Histories of churches, clubs and organizations.
- 1. Each allowed 250 words and one photograph free.
- 2. Additional words and photographs as in II. D.
- B. Communities and major topics allowed 600-750 words and one photo at committee discretion.
- C. Tribute, memorial, and business advertisement section.
- 1. The only pages with a cost to submitter.
- 2. Contact committee members.
- A. We offer a free writing workshop.
Watch your local newspaper for time and date.
- B. Contact committee members.
- A. Articles cannot harm or embarrass anyone.
- B. No genealogical charts or tabular material.
- C. Committee reserves the right to delete spurious material.
- D. Pioneer material subject to verification.
Officers of the Heritage Book Committee
Chair: Mr. Roy Shoffner - (334) 347-8887
Phyllis Maddox - (334) 897-5550
Lavinia Helms - (334) 347-6150
Marion Brunson -(334) 897-2427
Peggy Stroud - (334) 897-2847
Treasurer: Lanelle Hundley - (334) 347-1356
Deadline moved to March 31st, 2000
COFFEE COUNTY HERITAGE BOOK COMMITTEE
P.O. Box 310654
Enterprise, Alabama 36330
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR STORIES AND PLACE YOUR ORDERS FOR PRE-PUBLICATION PRICED HERITAGE BOOKS BEFORE DECEMBER 31, 1999, EVEN THOUGH THE DEADLINE DATE IS JANUARY 31, 2000!!! HELP THESE WONDERFUL VOLUNTEERS TO MEET THEIR DEADLINE!
Christmas is a wonderful time for you to congregate with your families and write your family's story!!!
JOIN IN ON THIS PRESERVATION OF OUR HISTORY IN COFFEE COUNTY!!!
Visit ALL of Alabama's counties at the Heritage Book site
Created by Phyllis Jeannae Kwanja Owen
((334) 347-3007 after 4 pm)
June 21st, 1999