OUR LADY OF THE SACRED HEART
by Bob Torbert
CATHOLIC CHURCH HISTORY
Dedication of Our Lady of the
Sacred Heart - Tuscumbia, Ala
On the 30th day of September A.D. 1869 His Lordship, the Rt Rev’d John Guinlan, Bishop of Mobile, solemnly dedicated the church erected in Tuscumbia to the service of Almighty God under the title and protection of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. Several clergyman and a large concourse of people assisted at the ceremony. Rev’d father Lorigan celebrated High Mass and in the evening the Rt Rev’d Bishop administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to four persons of whom one was a convert. The ceremonies closed with solemn benediction Goith the Most Holy Sacrament.
John B. Baasen
The 1st Catholic Church ? at Tuscumbia, built by Rev J. B. Baasen and dedicated on the 25th day of September A.D. 1870 was utterly destroyed by a Cyclone on the 22nd day of November 1874. The value of the Church amounted to about $2500.00, not insured and consequently nothing received for damage. This according to the best witnesses of the Congregation.
Rev. Benedict Menges O.C.B.
Mr. John Baxter & Dr. William Desprez were the first in connection with the Catholic Movement in Tuscumbia. J. Baxter , born in Ireland, came early to this country. He died of apoplexy in 1874. Dr. Desprez was born in Paris 1806. He died of yellow fever in Tuscumbia, 1878.
The first Catholic Church built here was on the site donated by Mr. J. Baxter. Rev J.B. Baasen being pastor, it was dedicated by Rt Rev. Bishop Quinlan Sept. 30, 1869. It was not fully completed when in November 1874 it was fully demolished by a tornado. Rev. Baasen built on his own property a small chapel where the people worshiped till 1875(8).
Dedication of St. Anne - Decatur, Ala
On the 25th day of September A.D. 1870 Rev’d John B. Baasen, with the permission of the Rt Rev’d John Guinlan, Bishop of Mobile, solemnly dedicated the church erected in Decatur, Morgan Co, Ala, to the service of Almighty God under the patronage of St. Anne, the Mother of the B.V.M. the Rev’d Fathers McDonough and McCallion assisting at ceremony, a greta concourse of people being present. Rev’s J.B. Baasen cel;berated the High mass and Rev’d Wm. McDonough preached the dedication Sermon.
J. B. Baasen, pastor
Dedication of Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - Cullman, Ala
On the 9th day of April A.D. 1874, Rev’d John B. Baasen, with the permission of the Rt Rev’d john Guinlan, Bp of Mobile, solemonly dedicated the Church erected at Cullman, Blount Co Ala to the service of Almighty God in honor and under the title of the “Most Sacred Heart of Jesus”. The Rev’d fathers Edw. Kirman of Huntsville and M. Merz of ST Florian assisted at the ceremony amidst a large concourse of people. Rev’d J.B. Baasen celebrated High Mass and Rev’d Edw. Kirman preached in the English language afterwards Rev’d M. Merz in the German language. After Highmass the ceremonies closed with the Le Deum, sung by the whole congregation in German.
J. B. Baasen
Churches and Ministers