Search billions of records on


Updated 5-8-2008
Back to Cemetery Records


The conclusion of the Civil War In 1865 and the southern expansion of northern railroads in the early 1870's marked the beginning of white settlements on the Sand Mountain Plateau of which Brindlee Mountain and Concord Community is a part. The settlement of Cullman by German immigrants, aided by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company, was accompanied by the arrival of homesteaders into eastern Cullman County from Georgia and the Carolinas. In 1884, Willis J. Lawrence homesteaded 159 acres in what is now Fairview. The first church in this area, Lawrence Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, was named in his honor. This church was located west of the Fairview Methodist Church with which it merged around 1900.


Samuel Needham of Griffin Georgia and his family homesteaded 160 acres northeast of Concord Church in June 1861. Mr. Needham died before the homesteaded paper was signed and it bears the signatures of Mrs. Needham as head or her family and President Benjamin Harris. Other early settlers included Jonce Latham, George D. Yeager, Jasper H. Philpot of Buchanan, Georgia, and James M. (Jim) Yeager. Some of the settlers acquired their land by homesteading, some purchased their land from earlier settlers, and some acquired their land from the railroad companies. The early settlers arrived in horse or oxen drawn wagons. Upon their arrival those animals were used to till the virgin soil of the area.


On January 31, 1891, the Missionary Baptist Church of Christ at Concord was organized under the leadership of ordained ministers Bart Chambers and W.J. Chambers. Charter members included Synthyan Chambers, church clerk J. C. Watts, Amanda Watts, George Yeager and his wife Mary, and Rev. Bart Chambers who served as the first pastor. The first converts into the new church were Sister C.N. Chambers and Mary Davis. Preaching was held on the first Saturday and Sunday of each month in the one room log building constructed on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. George Yeager. The worshipers sat on slab benches while Rev. Chambers preached the gospel to the small congregation.

In 1893 a Rev. Eidson served as pastor from April thru June apparently in the absence or Rev. Chambers. In Sept. 1893, Rev. Bart Chambers resumed the pastorate. Rev. Clark Chambers was elected to jointly serve as pastor with Rev. Bart Chambers. In Nov. 1894 however, the church records indicate that he preached at Concord on only one occasion and that was in May 1895. On Sept. 14, 1895, the minutes of the church conference records "a change preferred against B. Chambers for contempt and being the author of confusion." Rev. Chambers was replaced as pastor with Rev, J.C. Whatley.

In 1890 Rev. Whatley and other members of the congregation donated logs that were sawn into lumber for the construction of a frame church. This building was located in the western part of the community and served the community until 1950. Rev. Whatley was succeeded as pastor by Rev. Joe Brown in 1904. Rev. Ben Cook served from 1900 to 1912. Rev. Isic Nixon began his pastorate in 1912 and built a reputation as a Bible scholar whose booming voice carried his sermons across the countryside to all parts or the community. In 1917 opposition to Rev. Nixon and his determination to resist ouster led to the destruction of the Baptist Church of Christ, Concord and the birth of two new Baptist Churches in the Fairview community. Rev. Nixon attempted to gain legal control of the Concord church property in hopes of reorganizing a new church under his leadership. Resistance by the members or the Concord church prevented him from accomplishing this but the division and confusion that resulted led to the suspension of church services at Concord for a short time. Rev. Nixon and his followers held services at Concord under the name of Landmark Baptist Church. The Missionary Baptist Church of Christ of Concord at Fairview (now known as the Fairview Baptist Church) and the Duck Creek Missionary Baptist Church of Christ (occasionally referred to as the "Chambers Church") were organized by factions that split from Concord.


Baptist Church during those years or strife.


In 1927, Rev. Lee Yeager, father of Mrs. Vileta Haynes and a native of the community, was called to lead a revival at Concord. After leaving his pastorate in Tennessee by covered wagon he left his wife and children in Athens, Alabama with his wife’s family and proceeded to Concord. After a successful summer revival Rev. Yeager reinstated the church into fellowship and Rev. J.S. Shults was called as pastor. Pastors who followed Rev. Shults included F.C. Raines, Hubert Pruett, A. B. Harris, Rev. Whitt, George Goodwin, W.T, Casey, Hosea S. Carver, Cleo Bentley, Vernon Foust, Glenn Hembree, A. R. Buckelew, Marvin Smith, Ivan Echols, Buford Haynes, Lindol Gable, Wintford Haynes, Dan Morton, Charles Whitlock and Ronnie Jetton.


In 1949, plans were made for the construction of a new church building. Mrs. D.O. McCoy donated one acre of land to the church and a-brick building was erected in 1950 during the pastorship or W.T. Casey. In 1972 under the leadership or Rev. Buford Haynes the church entered a building program that resulted in the construction of a new sanctuary, baptistery, rest rooms, nursery, church library, pastor's office, and eight classrooms. In recent years eight adjoining acres have been purchased for future expansion. Five classrooms have replaced the fellowship hall. Plans for a new fellowship hall are being made.