Fayette County, Alabama
~ North River Baptist
Fifty Fourth Annual Session of the North River Baptist
Association held with Mt. Joy Baptist Church in Fayette County,
Alabama. From Sept. 22nd, 24th 1888, Inclusive.
Rev. L.B. HARBIN, Moderator - Hewitt, Ala.
James S. WATTS, Clerk - Day's Gap, Ala.
G.D. O'REAR, Corresponding
Secretary - Jasper, Ala.
List of Churches and Delegates:
BUSBEE - J.T. BUSBEE - A.B. SANFORD
- James T. JONES - J.W. WALLICE
- W.M. JACKSON - W.C. ADKINS
- W.J. JONES - O.G. KILGORE
- James A. COLBURN - J.Z. COLBURN - J.K.
- Nat HIGHSAW - Jno. T. MORRIS
- Jno. H. POOL - S.H. KARRH - James H.
- J.B. SIDES - J.H. SMITH - D.S. SMITH
- W.R. KEETON - J.F. STURGES
Wm. H. SIDES
- R.B. KEETON - A.A. SIDES
- D.H. CLIFTON - R.H. SMITH - L.P. BOSHELL
- L.P. KIKER - Joshua ATKINS - S. COONER
- Ira ROBINS - S. LACY - T.B.
TAYLOR - Wm. RANDOLPH
L. B. HARBIN
- W.M. McDUFF - J.F. McDUFF - D.A. KEMP
- A.B. CLEMENTS - J.W. FIELDS
- R.A. BAKER - B.M. KIMBRELL - Z.J.
- Burrell EARNEST - W.J. EARNEST - Jno.
Jas. L. GILDER
- Q.D. HANEY - Wm. DOZIER - Joseph C.
LYONS - Jno. F. MEYERS - Joseph JOHNSON
- Jno. BARNARD - A.W. KILLINGSWORTH
- Jacob SMITH - Jas. T. GRACE
- Jas. S. WATTS - J.W. PHIFER - J.A.
- S.S. UTLEY - M.M. HAGER
- J.J. STEADMAN - B.F. THOMAS - R.P. KEY
J.E. GRACE - W.T. RUTLEDGE
- Jno. O. BANKS - W.J. CHAPPELL
- J.D. PITTMAN - N.H. HARRIS - P.M.
PATTON - A. PATTON - J.M. DAVIS -
Excerpts from Minutes read as follows:
Sunday, September 23rd, 1888
Owing to the rainfall on Sunday, no services till 12:30 o'clock
pm. Preaching by A. KILGORE
followed by L.B. HARBIN.
At 3 o'clock pm Eld. J.E. COX
preached a missionary sermon text "How shall they preach except they be
sent." At the close of the sermon a collection was taken up for
State missions amounting to $9.05.
Monday, September 24th, 1888
On motion a committee was appointed to re-district the association and
divide it into 4 parts instead of two. The committee was J.F. McDUFF, B.M. KIMBRELL, A.W.
KILLINGSWORTH, J.J. MULLIGAN and L.M. BUSBEE.
The following named brethren are nominatated to go to the Baptist State
Elders L.B. HARBIN, S. HENDERSON,
J.W. RODGERS, A. KILGORE, Wm. PATTON, W.P. SMITH, and brethren J.F. McDUFF, T.P. LAMKIN, J.F. APPLING
and R.A. BAKER.
The next meeting of the First District to be held with Bethabara Church
on Friday before the first Sunday in September 1889. Rev. J.R. SARTAIN to preach the
Introductory Sermon, Rev. Wm. PATTON
alternate. Rev. A. KILGORE
to preach at 11 o'clock on Sunday, Rev. J.W. ROGERS, alternate.
On motion, Elder J.W. RODGERS
was appointed to attend the Southern Baptist Convention to be held at
Called for report on Vocal Music - We your committee on vocal music
report as follows:
We regret to learn that the science of vocal music in this assoc. has
been gradually giving way for some years past, in fact, in some
localities the science of vocal music is hardly known. As we
believe that vocal music is one of the important parts of the worship
of God we hardly know what course to pursue. We recommend that
the pastors of our churches impress upon the minds of the people the
necessity of this part of the worship of our God. And, brethren,
let us all arouse from this slumber and improve our talents while we
yet have time and opportunity.
~ H.G. AMERSON, Chairman
Melinda Unruh, "North
River Baptist Assoc. 1888
," on ALWALKER
Mailing List, 16 Oct 1998. ["Received copies of the minutes for
North River Baptist Assoc. for the years 1882 through 1901..."]
Return to Fayette County Church Records
Return to Fayette
This page last updated 07 May