Fayette County, Alabama
~ Zion Centennial and
Byler Road Re-Dedication ~
George B. COTTON, Chairman of
July 20-21, 1957
Return to Fayette County Church Records
Return to Fayette
Dr. A.B. MOORE [photo]
Walter L. RANDOLPH [photo]
James A. BRANYON [photo]
Dr. W.F. PRICE [photo]
W.S. THOMPSON [photo]
Judge Clyde C. CARGILE [photo]
George B. COTTON [photo]
||Blanch WHITNEY [Blanche WHITLEY], Judge Clyde C. CARGILE
||Jimmy BRANYON, Rubin NEWTON, Mrs. S.P. DEAVOURS, Mrs. STRAHAN
||Billie Joe SIMPSON, Ann LOWERY, DeLoris LOWERY
||11:00 - 11:30 A.M.
Clyde C. CARGILE
|Dr. W.F. PRICE
Road & Zion Church
||11:30 - 12:30
||Dr. A.B. MOORE
||12:30 - 1:00 P.M.
||1:00 - 2:30 P.M.
Sunday, July 21,
|Morning will be
devoted to tours of the antiques
||Walter L. RANDOLPH
AUNT SYNTHIA COTTON [photo]
1812 - Died July 28, 1916
her two brothers came by foot from north of the Tennessee River, down
the Cherokee Trail (Byler Road) and settled in Fayette County.
She was a life-long member of the Zion Church. Died at the age of
CENTENNIAL AND BYLER ROAD RE-DEDICATION
reading "History [of] Methodism in Alabama" that Zion and two other
Methodist Churches in what is now Fayette County, were established in
the 1830's. Zion was at one time, before and after the Civil War,
a very large church. Many old time camp meetings were held
there. It seemed to be an active church after the turn
of the 19th century; probably about 1915.
On March 1,
1861 Samuel D. BLANKENSHIP
three aces to seven trustees: William
L. HARVEY, Charles PALMER,
Thomas J. JOHNSON, E. COLE, J.W. WHITSON, J.W. ELLIS and Daniel FOWLER. When it ceased
to be a church, it was to go back [to the family].
the Zion Church and Cemetery Association was organized with the
following trustees: George B. COTTON,
E.H. SAWYER, T.S. JOHNSON, Curtis M. SIMPSON, S.L. EDMONSON, Fannie WELLBURN and Robert LOWERY. A building was
erected on the land for a custodian to look after and help care for the
property and cemetery. Buck
FELTMAN, who contributed to the erection of the building, as
well as others, was given the custody of the property to serve a period
of ten years from date October 30, 1947.
meeting of the members of the Association (anyone who contributes to
the Association in any way is considered a member), the following was
trustees shall be the governing body. A majority vote rules.
of death or resignation of a trustee, the Association shall elect a new
Association shall meet at least once a year at which time or meeting it
shall transact any business or make any improvement for the betterment
of the Association or property.
contract signed by a majority of the trustees shall be binding,
provided it has been or will be approved by the Association.
donated to or derived from sale of property of the Association shall be
deposited in bank to credit of the Association.
Road or Turn Pike which was constructed in the 1820's was the first
state road built and extended from Courtland on the Tennessee River to
Tuscaloosa on the Warrior, thereby connecting the two rivers. The
Cherokee Indians still claimed a good part of the territory through
which it extended. Many carriages rolled over it out of Northern
Alabama for $1.00 after Tuscaloosa became the capitol in 1826.
At or near
the present Zion Cemetery now is was a
camping ground where the stage
coaches and travelers could spend the night and rest their horses.
, Fried Chicken or Fish
Slaw - Sliced Tomatoes - Pickles - Bread
Coffee or Bottled Drinks
2006 | 27 Jan 2008