Geneva County was created by the Al. Legislature on Dec. 26 1868.
The county was named for Geneva It's principal town and county seat.
Geneva, Geneva (city ) began its history in 1820. Records indicate that a
trading post was established on the South side of the junction of the two rivers by Walter
S.C. Yonge and his brother, Henry A Yonge, Jr. The Lincoln Flood, named after President
Lincoln, washed away old Geneva, which ran parallel to the Choctawhatchee on Washington
Street. The Pace Hotel was at the heart of the city. The result of this flood moved Geneva
to the present location. The 1929 Hoover flood, again named after President Hoover, forced
townspeople to build a levee with the help of the WPA. The "junction" was
the site of the Union raid on the Confederate Steamboat, Bloomer, in 1860. River
traffic developed to the Choctawhatchee Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Many river
steamers began using the river to Pensacola and other ports until well after the coming of
the railroads in the 1890's. Geneva bas been located in Henry, Dale, Coffee and
Geneva counties before the city incorporated in 1872. Geneva County was established
December 26, 1868. The first electricity was generated in Geneva in December 1905. Geneva
was named by Henry A. Yonge's wife, Mary Effis Yonge, whose home town was Geneva, New
York. The Alabama State Legislature created what is now Geneva County from parts of Dale,
Henry and Coffee Counties on December 26, 1868. In the Wiregrass Region of southeast
Alabama, Geneva is known as "Alabama's Old River Town". It is bordered by
Coffee, Covington, Dale, and Houston Counties and the State of Florida. Other towns
include Samson and Hartford.
See the Capitals of Al. here
Alabama. History Dept
The Glover Family came to area before Geneva was a
county. They are shown on the 1870 Census reports for the county. The photo
above is of William E. Glover. Son of John Paschal Glover and Drucilla Evans.
William came to Al. from Ga. abt. 1840 he resided in Dale the part that would later
to become Geneva County. Martha Glover his wife is found on the 1870 census
reports for Geneva living with their daughter Virginia Davis.