This was a gold-mining town that was established in the mid 1830s and was just 9 miles southeast of Heflin, AL. By 1845 the population had grown to around 5,000 people, with most of the residents living in either tents or shacks. There was a school, 2 churches, 2 hotels, 2 mining supply stores, 5 saloons, 20 general mercantile stores, a fire department, a race track and over 100 permenant homes.
When gold was discovered in California, most of the residents moved west with hopes of "stricking rich" in the "more promising fields". Only a few residents remained until the out break of the War Between the States.
This was a gold mining town about 12 miles south of Heflin, AL. During the boom years, it was about half the size of Arbacoochee, but had more brick buildings.
The mine filed was destroyed by one of the King brothers that were prospectors in the area. These brothers were part of the family that later founded the famous King Ranch in Texas.
The town was still listed on the state maps as late as 1878.