Jackson County historical timeline
|1760||The Cherokee had 64 large towns starting at Guntersville and spread north along the Tennessee River. The largest was at Crow Creek, one half mile north of the river. There were other local towns at Sauta, Nickajack, Long Island, and some smaller towns in Paint Rock valley.|
|1767||Lt. Timberlake brought some early white settlers to this area, who did not stay because of Indian trouble.|
|1775||US Declaration of Independence|
|1784||Known Indian village at Sauta|
|1785||A land office was attempted to be established in the Bridgeport area to sell lands of the "Great Bend" .Indians resisted. This area was claimed by the sate of Georgia at that time.|
|1789||Attempt to sell local land by The Tennessee Land Company|
|1790||Yazoo Land Company attempted land sales|
|1793||Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin|
|1800||The Cherokee resisted an attempt by the government to get them to give up local lands. White settlers were reported living near Sauta.|
|1805||Georgia Road completed between Savannah and Nashville. Route near NE Jackson County.|
|1812||War of 1812|
|1813-14||Alabama Creek Indian wars.
White settlers in Paint Rock Valley and Doran Cove area.
|1816||Immigration into the area grew and there was a great demand and shortage of corn|
|1819||Area officially open to
settlers Feb 17. Cherokee ceded lad north of the river, then called
The Cherokee. Alabama admitted to Union Dec 13. Jackson county
became a county with the county seat at Sauta. Court was held in Sauta
Mud Creek Baptist Church established
|Bellefonte area had been purchased by Stephen Carter and G. W. Higgins from James Riley, a Cherokee who received a 640-acre reserve under Cherokee Treaty of 1819. These two men donated land for the court house.|
|1820||Population 8,129 white, 622
black. Squatters were living among Indians prior to this date. Sequoyah
reportedly presented his alphabet to the Cherokee near old Sauta.
First mail route established from Huntsville into Jackson County.
|1821||Sauta had all but died out.
A mail route was established at Bellefonte
Mud Creek Association formed.
|1822||Larkins settled at Larkinsville and bought a great amount of land.|
|1823||A post office was established at Bolivar and at Woodville . The Cherokee formed the Cherokee nation to resist the attempt to take their lands.|
|1828||The "Atlas" steamboat came up the Tennessee River. Courthouse completed at Bellefonte|
|1830||Population 11,418 white. 1,282 black. Woodville was a prosperous village. River canal dug at Huntsville.|
|1831||Sam Moore from Bellefonte became Governor.|
|1833||The Cherokee accepted an agreement to move to their western lands..|
|1834||There was a school at Bolivar. Coffetown was growing, now Langston. Robert Scott came to Bellefonte.|
|1835||Citizens could work on roads in late summer in lieu of paying taxes. . LAST CHEROKEE TREATY was Treaty of New Echota signed December 29, 1835.|
|1836||Cherokee cession. Area south
of the Tennessee River added to the county and opened for settlement.
Camden founded at present day Paint Rock.
Seminole Indian wars. Jackson County men went to fight.
General Road law enacted, required men to work 10 days repairing/building local roads.
|1838||Mail route in the Big/Little coon areas.|
|1839||Robert Scott received his first local land grant|
|1840||Population 13,868 white. 1,852 black. School at Pleasant Grove. Coffetown rivaled Bellefonte as river port|
|1842||First land titles issued for land on Sand mountain, land south of the river|
|1846||Bellefonte Era newspaper published|
|1847||Post office at Birmingham, now Princeton.|
|1849||Birmingham named changed to Princeton.|
|1850||Population 11,754 whites. 2,334 black. Settlers at Pisgah. Robert Scott moved to Scott's mill area|
|1854||Jonesville had a post
office. Name changed to Bridgeport. Post office at Scott's Mill.
Tracks of Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railroad were completed from Bass through Stevenson and Bridgeport on to Chattanooga
|1856||Tracks of Memphis and Charleston Railroad were completed from Decatur to STEVENSON|
|1857||Memphis and Charleston RR signed contract with NC&STL to run their rail cars from Memphis on in to Chattanooga over the NC&STL tracks from Stevenson to Chattanooga.|
|1858||Growth started around depot at Samples, now Hollywood|
|1860||Population 14,811 whites. 3,472 blacks. Freight depot built at Scotts Mill. Settlement was on the north side of the RR tracks.|
|1861||Name of Scott's Mill changed to Scottsborough. WBTS started|
|1865||WBTS ended. Bellefonte and Bridgeport had been almost destroyed.|
|1868||Vote to move the Court house to Scottsborough near center of the county and on the railroad . County records moved to Scottsborough. City was incorporated and the name changed to Scottsboro, population 370.|
|1870||Population 16,350 whites. 3,060 blacks.|
|1871||Masonic hall built in Scottsboro|
|1875||Austin College built at Stevenson|
|1876||Camden renamed Paint Rock. Post office at Fern Cliff on Sand Mountain.|
|1879||A railroad line was started off the main line at Limrock to run to Belmount Coal Mine on Cumberland Mountain.|
|1880||Population 21,074 whites. 4,033 blacks|
|1881||There were four water powered gins in Crow valley. Great Scottsboro fire occurred-Feb|
Company, that made bridges and trams was started in Scottsboro. It
failed by 1890.
Porter house burned with family inside. Hughes boys convicted and hanged for the crime.
|1887||Northern capitalist moved to Bridgeport the town boomed and grew to 5,000 by 1890|
|1889||A small college was started at Scottsboro.|
|1890||Population 24,000 whites. 3,800 blacks|
|1891||Scottsboro population 960|
|1893||Panic caused failure of Bridgeport boom|
|1900||Population 26,000 whites. 3,600 blacks|
|1930|| Great depression ,
Scottsboro Boys trial
TVA worked to build dams
|2005||County population 55,000, Scottsboro 16,000|