Thank you to those who have completed your year-end reports for 2013-2014 in a timely manner. All chapter reports are due by August 1st, if you have not sent your chapter reports to the proper division officer, district director or division committee chair, please do so as soon as possible.
Year-end reporting is very important and each chapter should want a report published in our yearbook. Reports show our members and others what we have accomplished. Reports are not just for chapters, compiled they represent our division. And just as you enjoy receiving awards and recognition at the Division Convention, so should we strive for the same at the General Convention. My hope is that each and every chapter has given a full account of their yearly activities.
For the past two years I have followed in the footsteps of previous Division Presidents and written a monthly message. In each message I have tried to be informative, reminding members of upcoming events, division projects and at times giving a little history or background about our organization. Although these messages are sent to the chapter presidents they are meant for all members. I would like to encourage the chapter presidents to share the information from the Division President so that all members can benefit from her message. My time to write these messages is coming to a close, but I wanted to pass this information on to the next chapter presidents. Educate your members, keep them informed.
The Call for the 119th Alabama Division Convention was mailed in mid-July. If you have not already mailed in your registration, please do so as soon as possible. This information can be found on the Alabama Division website
under “Convention,” or ask your chapter president for a copy of the information.
The host hotel is the Embassy Suites Montgomery Hotel and Conference Center. The information for reservations is in the Call and on the Division website under “Convention.” I have been notified that because of the LPGA in Prattville an unusually large number of rooms have been reserved for convention weekend. The hotel has added as many rooms to our block as they are allowed. They have assured me that if members cancel their reservations those rooms will remain in our block and will be available for our members. Other nearby hotels are the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa, which is across the street from the Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn and Suites and Doubletree by Hilton.
There will be a bus available to take you from the hotel to the Memorial Service and to the Tea. Be advised that there is only one bus, and we will take reservations for the first 56; the cost is $12.00 per person. When reservations for the bus have been met it will be posted on the ALAUDC List. There should be adequate parking at the church, but there may not be accessible parking at the Archives on Friday afternoon.
Parking at the Embassy Suites is $10.00 per day in the front parking lot and can be added to your hotel bill. Entering and exiting the parking lot can be done with your room key. Valet parking is $15.00 per day. There is city parking in the back of the hotel for $6.00 per night; this charge cannot be added to your hotel bill.
Registration begins Thursday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. and will close at 5:00 p.m., Friday from 7:30-8:30 a.m. and 3:00-5:00 p.m. Final chance to register will be Saturday morning from 7:30 - 8:30 a.m. You must be registered to vote.
Information for new members and as a reminder for others:
- Business attire, such as a dress or suit,
and hats are appropriate for daytime wear. A pantsuit is acceptable, but hats are not worn with pantsuits.
- When pledging and saluting all flags, you should place an ungloved right hand over the heart with nothing in the left-hand.
- During the Posting of the Colors, stand with your ungloved right hand over the heart until all flags have been posted; the same for the Retiring of the Flags, until the flags have left the room.
- When the Division President is introduced, the assembly rises to honor the OFFICE, not the OFFICER. At any meeting at which the President General is in attendance and is introduced, the assembly rises to honor the OFFICE, not the OFFICER.
- Name badges on lanyards must be worn during business sessions, but not at the Memorial Service or evening events.
- Insignia should be worn at UDC events only, not in restaurants or on the street.
- Insignia can be worn at business sessions; they can also be worn at the Memorial Service, unless you are a participant.
- Memorial Service participants wear hat and gloves for the processional.
- During the Memorial Service, chapter members should stand when a memorial is read honoring one of their members.
- On President’s Evening, chapter members should stand when their chapter president gives her chapter report.
- During meetings, cell phones should be turned off or on vibrate.
Please remember that we are trying to meet our goal of $15,000 to conserve the 26th Alabama Infantry flag. You can “Adopt-A-Soldier” from the 26th Alabama Infantry or your own Confederate veterans for only $10.00 per soldier. The form for adopting soldiers is on the Alabama Division website under “Projects.”
In UDC love,
Donna Clark, President
Alabama Division UDC
Remember our 26th Alabama Infantry Flag Conservation Project. You can Adopt-A-Soldier of your choosing and Pack-A-Backpack. Go to the Alabama Division website, then Projects, for details on how you can help preserve our heritage.
Also, under Projects, you will find details on “Vanishing Confederate Alabama.” Your assistance is needed with this project.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
119th Annual AL Division Convention: September 18-20, 2014; Embassy Suites Hotel Montgomery.
For information concerning reservations, please go to the Alabama Division website, then Division Convention.